AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need a progressive scan tv to benefit from a progressive scan DVD player, and why?

My thinking is that you need either one or the other.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You need both a progressive TV and a progressive DVD player to enjoy watching your DVD in progressive.

Interlaced DVD + progressive TV works but the quality is far worse.

Progressive DVD + interlaced TV simply doesn't work because the TV displays nothing at all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting.

The reason I asked the question. In a recent article in Audio Video Interiors the Editor said one needed to make a choice between the DVD's line doubler or the TV set's internal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is it always true that an interlaced signal to a progressive TV with good 3:2 pulldown will always be inferior? I'm a newbie here but I thought I read in the Shootout that a good unit (I think they recommended the Pioneer Elite) would do as good a job on an interlaced signal as many progressive DVD's. Comments?

·
Registered
83 Posts
A progressive TV with a good internal doubler can do as good a job as a progressive DVD player. But the end result may not be as good because the TV is fed analog signal to begin with. The TV needs to convert the signal back to digital before it can deinterlace it, and in the process loses some signal quality.

A progressive DVD player, on the other hand, works entirely in digital domain before it sends out the final result throught its analog output, and therefore, will be able to retain the original quality.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just like anything else, it probably depends on the de-interlacer in the DVD and the de-interlace on the TV. I wonder whether a good de-interlacer is more versatile because it can work on several sources besides the DVD ie satellite, etc. I agree that the TV is at a disadvantage because it needs to convert analog to digital again. How about all the external processors. Unless there's a digital signal coming out the DVD player, they're at the same disadvantage and they seem to hold up well. Personally, I'm struggling with spending more money on the DVD vs. the TV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.