AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently do not own a tv that can display a progressive signal. In the future, I hope to and I was curious if the DVD-r's that I've recorded from Time Warner DTV will be able to be displayed in progressive. I guess I'm not sure if 480i/480p has anything to do with the source being recorded, or solely a way by which the DVD player displays the signal (when chosen from the setup menu).

I guess a practical way of asking this would be; can a tv show recorded to the E80H and then dubbed, be displayed on a progressive tv as 480p.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It's strictly a playback issue. All DVDs, both commercial and burned are recorded in 480i. Assuming the E80 is the same as my E100, the machine can playback anything in progressive via the component outputs: DVDs, -Rs, RAMs and hard disc recordings.

Now the bad news: the progressive playback is only average at best - - not nearly as good as the better stand-alone DVD players. Also, some displays have better de-interlacers onboard. For example, with my Panny plasma, I definitely get the best PQ from the E-100 using 480i component (i.e. letting the plasma to the deinterlacing.)

Actually, the only thing I play back from the E100 are hard disc recordings. For any kind of DVD, I use an XP-50. MUCH, better results.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't even have a progressive TV yet, but I was just making consideration for the future. I also have a Sony player (dvp ns755v) and it has progressive output as well. I've read that it's pretty good. Thanks for clearing things up for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.