AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase the Gateway plasma. This is a 480p device (I think). Also, will be getting the Infocus projector (last years model not the HD2 chip) I believe that this is also a progressive device. Anyway, I am preferrential to Direct TV but I believe all of their HDTV satellite receivers are interlaced devices (output 1080i). I think that the Dish network can be output to 780p etc. Is this an issue or should I stick w/ a couple of HDTV satellite receivers (Direct TV) that output interlaced (and let the display device do the deinterlacing) or should I have the receiver doing the deinterlacing?

If you are in the know (I'm not) please let me know.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
For a 480p device it does not really matter too much. A 1080i interlaced field already has more lines (540) than the display can render (480).

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turls
DirecTV boxes output any standard res you want.
Not necessarily.

Most only output 1080i in HD mode, others let you chose between 720 & 1080i for HD mode and others have a native mode which simply pass what ever format they receive.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok guys, doesn't the satellite receiver have to "deinterlace" if it outputs a progressive signal? aka Dish Network outputs progressive from HBO (it is 1080i). so, how good are the deinterlacers in these progressive boxes? (receivers) ...

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
ok guys, doesn't the satellite receiver have to "deinterlace" if it outputs a progressive signal? aka Dish Network outputs progressive from HBO (it is 1080i). so, how good are the deinterlacers in these progressive boxes? (receivers) ...
First, choose which DBS company you want to get your programming from, Dish or DirecTV. See the HDTV programming Synopsis in the HDTV Programming forum for all the details.

Once you've done that, and you want to decide what STB to get, your choices will be simplified. For Dish Network you have one choice; the DISH 6000. As for DirecTV, you'll have to do a little research (see the links in the HDTV STB Synopsis, at the top of this forum) to see what STB's have both selectable 720 & 1080i output. I believe the Sony 200 & Zenith 1080 & 520 all have this feature.

In the end you would actually have to try running both formats into your 720p capable display to see which does a better job of the deinterlacing, the STB or display. I suspect you won't see much difference, but why not give a look to be sure?

For the 480p display, it should be a moot point, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The gateway display tech notes say that the unit accepts both 1080i and 720p and downconverts them (to 480p, i assume, but it doesn't say).

I hope this isn't a new trend, where manufacturers make a device and sell it as HD-ready when it can only display 480p. There will be a lot of people out there who see the picture and think HD isn't really anything special.

--Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
The title should be 'progressive sdtv vs. interlaced hdtv' or something. Like others have said, all HDTV receivers on the market can output HD signals (1920x1080 interlaced or 1280x720 progressive) to 480p (702x480 progressive). Since the receivers do this in digital domain, I think they would do a better job than Gateway downresing 1080i or 720p to 480p. But the mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
 [email protected] :

The Gateway plasma in question is a Sampo unit, which has a native resolution of 852 x 480. The panel will scale everything to that rate, so it’s kind of academic what HD source you’re considering.

BTW: The reviews of the Sampo are not very favourable. See the Plasma Forum for more info if interested.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Boden
[email protected] :

The Gateway plasma in question is a Sampo unit, which has a native resolution of 852 x 480. The panel will scale everything to that rate, so it’s kind of academic what HD source you’re considering.

BTW: The reviews of the Sampo are not very favourable. See the Plasma Forum for more info if interested.
Keep one thing in mine while checking out the Sampo reviews - the Gateway is not actually a Sampo. :D

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
PlasmaMan:

OK, so all the Plasma Forum threads are wrong about the Gateway being a rebadged Sampo.

Why don’t you go to that forum and start a new thread to enlighten everybody? What’s the big secret?:confused:

Inquiring minds want to know.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.