AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am connecting my DVD player (pioneer elite dv-45a and panasonic cp-72) to the 480i/480p component 1 input. I wanted to compare the two and keep the one I preferred. I have used a few dvd's (full metal jacket and season one disc 1+2 of the Sopranos) and both players present a poor quality picture (very grainy) in progressive mode. It looks pretty good though in interlaced mode. I am trying to figure out why it is significantly better in interlaced mode.

I am contemplating returning both DVD's instead of one since I am not getting good pq. I have not done any tweaks to my set as yet (have had for one week) but cannot believe the pq can be worse in progressive mode. Do some DVD's look better in interlaced and some in progressive? This is my first experience with a progressive scan DVD player!:confused:

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have hit 65X. This is my first RPTV and I have come from 32" direct view. I am using my same 480i dvd player and I am seeing the "grain" you are describing more than I ever have and I suspect it is simply because of size of the image.

However, the fact that you see that much of a difference with prog in the player vs. the TV's upconvert seems odd, but I'm fairly new to all of this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would also recommend using a movie given a good pq review, such as the Lord of the Rings or Blade 2. Full metal jacket was filmed in full frame and not a great transfer. Sopranos is known for grainy quality compared to other material. These are 2 great dvd players so pq shouldn't be an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.