Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60" space, and I'm comsidering either a 42" plasma, or a projector

This is for a great room, with 2 story windows in it (windows face south)

I am brand new to this, so I dont know what to do

I already have the entertainment unit

I will be getting digital comcast in HD, as well as Coimcast internet, so dishes are out of the question

I watch probably 50% movies, and 50% TV

I have a wife that doesnt like electronics, so it has to be easy to use (I just got a harmony remote for it, so that shouldnt be a problem)

Please help, I dont know what to do!

I'll post pics once I am allowed to!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
If you have that small of a space, and that many windows, I'd just get the plasma. (Unless you have a dedicated room you could use for it).

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I agree, most people when going to the front projection world will plan on a 86" or above diag. screen, 120" in my case :) For that small of space, it would be like buying a Corvette with a V6 :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Certainly no "WOW" factor with a 60" FP.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no wow factor, but a good wallet factor

since the pc connection deal went sour, im thinkng thr costco 50" vizio)

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
tough call. the 42" plasma will make for better viewing in moderate to brightly lit conditions. but, for the same price you could get an HD front projector and have an image that is over 100% larger (104% to be exact.) and at that relatively "small" size it should be bright enough to compensate for a decent bit of ambient light.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
My wallet size doesn't change whether I project a 60" image or 120" (4 times as big)...

Perhaps the screen costs more, but $50 for DIY or even $150 for a screen is nothing to get 4x the size...

By the way minkia, can we assume since you mentioned two stories of windows that you have a vaulted ceiling? That will make FP more difficult as well.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Minkia38,

There are pros and cons to each approach some of which have already been written about on this thread.

The main benefit of an FPTV is that you can have a larger picture. The drawback is that the room needs to be as dark as possible, more so than any other type of display technology, to attain a quality image. Also, setting up is a much more involved process in that projector mounting, distance, centering, angling, focus, etc. as well as screen selection and placement must be approached with attention to detail as you want to make sure that you're within the specifications of the projector.

Giving your particular viewing environment It seems that a plasma would be a wiser choice over a projector. However, keep in mind that plasma displays can burn-in. Considering that almost all movies nowadays are shot in aspect ratios that produce "black bars" on the top and bottom of the screen and that you may also want to view unaltered 4x3 material with side-bars, you may want to consider another type of display technology.

That said, I would recommend that you look at LCD and DLP displays as well. What's great about them is that they are very simple to set-up, produce a very bright image that could compete somewhat with room lighting, and don't burn-in. If given a choice, I would probably go with a Samsung 1080p DLP which is capable of producing an image close to 100 fl peak light output. They can also be setup to conform to system standards more closely than any other consumer display ever has been able to.

Good luck! :)

Eliab

·
Registered
597 Posts
Was watching Shop at Home Electronics night (sorry I was bored- won't happen again) and they were selling the new "V3" plasma screen technology which will "eliminate burn-in". All it involves is moving the otherwise stationary pixels ever so slightly so the eye can't notice.

Suppose to be readily available this fall at your local Big Box store.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the help! Very fast, and very good info

Costco has a 50" vizio plasma on sale this week, with a generous return policy, so I think I'll give that a whirl and see if the plasma fits my room, if not, I'll definately be back for some more info

Thanks again

·
Registered
597 Posts
Nice digs bro,

Are you planning on mounting the plasma above the fireplace or inside the entertainment center.

If the entertainment center, you may want to consider DLP rear projection RCA Scenium is an AWESOME set. You have the depth needed to make it happen, better pic (Hi-Def) and maybe save some green in the process.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
that room just screams FRONTPROJECTION/RPTV,Plasma setup:D

ok, i'll edit my post & say.....

you could have the best of both worlds if you allocate your resources accordingly....

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I think it screams RPTV, as Jeff suggested, with the home entertainment center. I would be like the entertainment center would be cramping my screen if I threw an image into that little space.. :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You can mount a pull-down screen on top of your entertainment center and make it just about any size you want. It doesn't have to be limited to the opening. Of course, you'll also need something like a CRT monitor for daytime viewing if you're not going to put drapes on the windows. I like the unit as a piece of furniture, but its horribly limiting in what you do with displays.

You could also mount a pull-down screen over the windows/fireplace with a LONG drop.

Bobby

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
If it is between plasma or projector for your situation then I vote plasma. If you can have a projector and another HDTV display then that is the best option by far. I have a 720p LCD front projector and Sony XBR910 Direct view and love both. I don't think I could be happy with just a projector.

Chris

·
Registered
912 Posts
Welcome to the forums, minkia38 -

What's the WAF on keeping the room darkened?

A PJ is best for darkened rooms. Having said that, I agree with what's been said before regarding getting a nice HD PJ - this will give you other options if you decide to go bigger, especially for those special occasions, such as a superbowl, when you have the buds over. Pair the PJ with a High Power screen to boost the gain (2.8 gain), and it should be okay unless you get direct sunlight on the proposed wall for the screen.

Let us know what you decide - you just might be helping someone in the future who has the same situation as you.

:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I went through this process and I bought a plasma. (But now I am getting a PJ for movies at night :).

Looking at your case, I believe plasma is a bit more realistic. Reason:

1. Room brightness

Your room is really bright from the pictures. I can't imagine how you can watch PJ in that brightness and not have a washed out effect. I am not sure a high gain screen can be as good as plasma in ambient light. I can understand you can add draps that block a lot of light, say, when you want to watch a move. But do you really want to get up pull all the draps and make your room into a dark hole EVERY TIME you want to turn on the TV for a glimps? Even a RPTV could have issues with if you have light coming from behind your seating area. I was going to buy a DLP TV but got a plasma because of the lighting issue and have to settle with a smaller screen for the same price. RPTV also have narrower viewing angle.

2. Set up trouble.

Buy a plasma plug in and go. (okay, more complicated with wall mount). With PJ, you may need to have ceiling mounts, wire and electical outlets installed then change bulbs once in a while. The screen need to be installed and there is a lot more calibration with PJ than plasma. Changing configuration is going to be more trouble if you decide to add another DVD player for example. While table top mount is feasible, I am not sure you want to watch TV with table mount all the time. i.e. drag the PJ with the TV cable hooked to each every time or leave your PJ on the table with dangling tables in the middle of room. Bookshelve mount probably is the way to go if not ceiling?

3. WAF

Definitely plasma. No competition. Way easier to use and much better looking. You have to go permanent mount to have good WAF for PJ.

The only problem with plasma is obvious: $$$ for very small screen and potential burn in. That is the choic you have to make. A 42" plasma gives an awefully small image when watching a 2:35 movie from my experience. My solution is to get a cheap portable screen and cheap projector e.g. Optoma H31 to watch movies at night on ocassions. I watch TV a lot more.

I'd say only go for PJ if you are, like, 80-90% movies and, in your case, I am not even sure of that because your room is bright. The hassle of watch regular TV on PJ, IMO, is not worth the trouble.

Just my opinion, and I don't have a PJ so take it with a grain of salt.

Ben

·
Registered
688 Posts
Surprised no one has suggested a dark screen such as the new DNP supernova. This screen should enable FP viewing in ambient light conditions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.