AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
A typical 1950s housewife, Mrs. Mimi Hynek:

And typical 1950s Russian deep-cover spy, "Susi Miller:"

And--I almost forgot all the cool cars and airplanes!--Project Bluebook is so loaded with "eye candy" from seventy years ago that it makes me wish for a time machine.

Usually I don't include the photos when I quote a post, but this one is so worthy! If this is what typical 1950's housewives and Russian spies looked like, I'm shopping for a DeLorean ASAP!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I really like this show and the Russian chick is one hot mama ' But when they hit her in the back of the head into the grave ' Like they would not have put a round or 2 into her. The KGB does not mess around. That whole part was just absurd. But I am glad she has super powers 'maybe she is a alien.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Iam not sure we can trust the CIA agent or not. The wife is really starting to be included in the investigations.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Tonight's (2/25) ep sounds like an interesting twist; It's a "flash forward" showing how Hynek's "Bluebook" investigations of the 1950s led Steven Spielberg to make Close Encounters of the Third Kind in 1977:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have info on Mimi

I love this show. But wowzers...did they blow up and fictionalize the story of his wife "Mimi" in it. Her character is played so well that it stoked my curiosity...to the point that I researched the real Mimi on the internet. Well, I am sorry to say that Miriam "Mimi" Curtis Hynek is as much of a mystery as the UFO's her husband chased. Even though she survived Dr Hynek's death in 1986. That is all that is mentioned of her that I could find. No story...no history...no life...nothing. Especially nothing to suggest she was or is that interesting character in the series. I'll be very interested to see where the fiction writers take her in the next season. And I wonder how her children reacted to their mom's on screen rape/assault in the last episode. Hmmmm.
Hope this helps...

I have some info on Mimi but cannot post here (5 post thing) pls feel free to contact me at srsos at hotmail dot com. Thanks

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
They did a really great job of casting...the "Captain Quin" character as a loose version of the real life Captain Edward J. Ruppelt (who mysteriously died of a heart attack in 1960, at age 37). I say mystery because the rest of Ruppelt's birth family was long lived (well into & past their 80's). Ironically, he died 3 months before President JFK was assassinated. I guess I'm channeling my inner X-File suspicions on that one. He was married however and had a child. But very little is known or said about them. I also wonder whether Susi Miller was a composite character of real life characters from a Ruppelt's relationships. Overall, I think the producers did an amazing job of capturing the essence, feel and intrigue around the subject matter. I just tend to find the Quin character to be the most fascinating. Because in real life, he was actually more open minded, inquisitive and interesting than Hynek was IMO (while the series has this reversed). And the real Captain was a serious heavyweight player before his too early death. It will be interesting to see how the series treat that event. Will it be part of a "Close Encounters" type flashback with Hynek? And will it present us with a lingering mystery?

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Not much to the "Third Kind" tie in. A bit disappointing. Interesting fight between the CIA and the Air Force over control of Blue Book. Fighting over who can lie to the American public better ... Saw the CIA screw job coming a mile away.

Also, I'm starting to develop a hankerin' for blonds holding guns ....

·
Registered
841 Posts
Okay episode,could have been better.I wonder if the Russian spy might defect to United States,or become a double agent.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Okay episode,could have been better.I wonder if the Russian spy might defect to United States,or become a double agent.
Seems like the KGB keeps her working for them in the U.S. by holding her daughter as a captive pawn back in Russia. We've already seen that she's trying to get her kid released and reunited with her, so it wouldn't be too shocking if she has already considered "flipping" to become a double agent for the Americans. OTOH, she seems to be so good at being a spy and assassin that both the Russians and the CIA might consider her "too hot to handle."

What makes this show about UFOs so cool is the way that it's not always about "just" UFOs!

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Great episode. My favorite show.
You like this more than the Walking Dead? You seem to really like WD, didn't know PBB was your favorite show. Indeed, this is one of the most underrated, under the radar shows in a long time. You don't hear much about it, not a lot of press, etc. but it is still top notch entertainment throughout. Love the feel of the show and the cast is amazing.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
My favorite right now. Always impatient for the next episode.
Love the period cars, planes and mid century homes as well as the story, of course.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Interview with Canadian actress Ksenia Solo ("Susie Miller") at an Aussie Comic-Con:

And Laura Mennell, the other Canadian stunner on PBB as "Mimi Hynek," interviewed on KTLA/Los Angeles:

·
Registered
389 Posts
You like this more than the Walking Dead? You seem to really like WD, didn't know PBB was your favorite show. Indeed, this is one of the most underrated, under the radar shows in a long time. You don't hear much about it, not a lot of press, etc. but it is still top notch entertainment throughout. Love the feel of the show and the cast is amazing.[/QUOTE

Right now yes. I do like the TWD but this show has such a old SciFi feel to it ' and great acting also. My other favorites are the Vikings and the In between Man

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I've watched every episode to date - and find it trite and misleading. After reading Bluebook - anyone could tell it was a cover up. Just reminds me how gullible the general population is! Most people have no idea of the DUMB network of bases,

221 - 240 of 273 Posts