AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was reported in the spring project gotham racing 2 would be 720, then it was reported it wasn't going to be. Went through these posts and saw nothing recently. Any news on this?

·
Registered
230 Posts
The fact that the game went from 60fps to 30fps does not bode well for a 720p mode.

In other words, don't hold yer breath.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I was just getting ready to do a preview of the game on Friday, so this is good timing.

There has never been any 720p for Project Gotham 2. I have asked and that has been verified. It was always just 480p. And if it was 720p our build would be as well, much like the Amped 2 build.

That said, this IS a damn good looking game.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Quote:
No, but it's 30fps so why waste your money?

-?!

You can keep your money, I'll be getting this the second it's released.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis
30fps? I don't see 30fps. I see closer to 60 on my build.
Bizaare Creations stated in their forums that it would run at 30fps and not 60fps. I like asking the folks who complain about frame rate how to turn on the frame rate counter in their games and they always have some smart assed reply. Usually boils down to "you can just tell!". My opinion about frame rate... who cares? Is the game fun or not?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew67
Bizaare Creations stated in their forums that it would run at 30fps and not 60fps. I like asking the folks who complain about frame rate how to turn on the frame rate counter in their games and they always have some smart assed reply. Usually boils down to "you can just tell!". My opinion about frame rate... who cares? Is the game fun or not?
The people who resond to you saying "You can tell the difference just by seeing it in motion" are right on the money! If you've played enough racing games in your life you'd notice immediately whether the game was running at 60 or 30. The fact that Bizzare Creations cannot manage to develop a racing game at 60fps on a next gen 128 system that claimed to be the end all be all of graphics glory when Polyphony Digital did it on the PS2 in its FIRST generational cycle is nothing short of despicable.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by isamu
The people who resond to you saying "You can tell the difference just by seeing it in motion" are right on the money! If you've played enough racing games in your life you'd notice immediately whether the game was running at 60 or 30. The fact that Bizzare Creations cannot manage to develop a racing game at 60fps on a next gen 128 system that claimed to be the end all be all of graphics glory when Polyphony Digital did it on the PS2 in its FIRST generational cycle is nothing short of despicable.
How do I turn on the frame rate counter in GT4 to know that it's running at 60fps? Maybe it's 56, maybe it's 58, maybe it's 42. The only way I'll know is when you tell me how to turn on the frame rate counter.

What exactly is a next gen 128 system? And before you answer that, I have an even lower opinion of people who equate bits with system performance/power. It's a sure sign of ignorance and a quick way to identify the unenlightened.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew67
How do I turn on the frame rate counter in GT4 to know that it's running at 60fps? Maybe it's 56, maybe it's 58, maybe it's 42. The only way I'll know is when you tell me how to turn on the frame rate counter.

What exactly is a next gen 128 system? And before you answer that, I have an even lower opinion of people who equate bits with system performance/power. It's a sure sign of ignorance and a quick way to identify the unenlightened.
Had to correct something here. Frames on a TV monitor can only be updated by fractions of their hertz standard for compatibility reasons. For NTSC (US) this is 60 and for PAL (Europe) this defaults to 50(even though a lot can do 60 now).

Example: NTSC games can only run at 60 (1:1) or 30(2:1) or 20(3:1) or 15(4:1) and so on. They cannot run at numbers in between like 56 or 58 or 42.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dope_Foo
Had to correct something here. Frames on a TV monitor can only be updated by fractions of their hertz standard for compatibility reasons. For NTSC (US) this is 60 and for PAL (Europe) this defaults to 50(even though a lot can do 60 now).

Example: NTSC games can only run at 60 (1:1) or 30(2:1) or 20(3:1) or 15(4:1) and so on. They cannot run at numbers in between like 56 or 58 or 42.
Odd, because I have no problems playing Grand Prix Legends on my 1992 27" Panasonic over s-video at 36fps. Which is the most that game is designed to handle. And that's according to the FPS display built into the game.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dope_Foo

How many frames are actually sent to the monitor is fixed but there is no restriction on how many are actually rendered. If the game can only render 56 fps then 4 of those frames are repeated in a second.

-Dylan

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Tell you what we'll do. I am not permitted to take videos of the build I have for my website use. However, as long as none of you turn me in, I will take a short in-game video, and let you guys see it firsthand.

Give me a day or two, as I am stacked up with previews I have to get written up.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I haven't forgotten about this. But I need to make something clear about my build.

As I am playing through it, and I have access to every track and car, because it is still an early build not EVERYTHING is smooth. There are plenty of tracks that do run very close if not 60fps. But some run a little worse. So this is not indicitive of the final product yet.

However, Bizzare is disputing the claim that they've locked the framerate at 30. I can't quite get a straight answer from anyone on this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As far as the whole "you can just tell" argument, this is total crap. I've read articles (I can't remember where, i think one was from EGM) where they had discussions with several game developers talking about actual and percieved frame rate. One great example was Baldur's Gate for the gamecube. Many people complained that the game had a poor frame rate. Most reviews said it was at 30fps or under. In actuality, if i recall correctly, the developers stated that it ran at 60fps constantly. Upon close examination, one was able to discern that the game did infact run very smoothly, but a jerkiness in the camera caused people to percieve it as running very poorly.

My personal feelings are that frame rate is like any other graphical element. 60 is great, but theres many racing games i've played and loved that didn't *feel* like they were at 60fps (i can't say whether they were or not). If a game is smooth, especially racing games, it can feel much better, but i don't think anyone should claim that because a game maintains a certain frame rate it will or will not be a good game, don't judge a game till you play it, when are people going to learn?

Oh, and in response to Isamu's comment about Gran Turismo 3. Yes Polyphony did manage to get GT3 out and looking nice and at what looks like 60fps. But yer leaving out a lot of important info. GT3 didn't do 480p, GT3 (i would argue) had less complex tracks than either of the Project Gotham games, doesn't have to do damage model calculations, lacks proper reflections (correct me if i'm wrong). I would say in many places Project Gotham one looked easily as good as GT3, and from what i've seen from Project Gothatm 2, it looks far superior. Am I an xbox fanboy? naw, i own both systems and i love GT3 as much as anyone. Don't be so quick to judge, again, wait till you can play it before you submit your review of the game.

Whew. i'm developing a bad track record for post length... and proper capitalization... and grammer... i should quit this post while i'm behind.

-Oae

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.