AVS Forum banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 · (Edited)
Ok, minor update.

Design is wrapping up, bracing is pretty much done except for being volume-reduced, few design details to be added, and cost reduction efforts have started. I decided to can the sloping top because I can reduce unique part count by 5 pieces, which should save something on CNC cost (in the setup) and I wasn't really sold on that slope anyway. Still keeping the trapezoidal shape b/c I like it too much not to. Bracing is mostly dado'd in, not on the center section as I've put effort into making sure none of the pieces require CNC work from both sides. For tying stuff together to the center, honestly just a butt joint would be sufficient but we'll use long dowels through the center vertical brace to make sure it's structurally sound. I'll simply drill the edges of the appropriate braces manually, they make pretty easy jigs for that.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
First pass at volume reduction on internal bracing. There is one mistake, can be seen if you look close, and design has been changed to suit, but overall starting to look pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Brace volume reduction complete. Basically design is done, need to let it marinate, think about details, make some tweaks, hold a design review, get quotes, any of the gripes from the CNC places maybe incorporate, maybe not.

Volume appox 13.3 cuft. Double wall front, rear, top and bottom. Triple wall sides. LaVoces will bolt to a single layer of 18mm baltic birch with my clamps. PR's will go through 2 layers also with my clamps. Remaining material is primarily due to shape, wanting curvature, and wanting the curvature done in this manner. Skeleton view with additional layers put on shown below. Should be quite stiff.

161 - 167 of 167 Posts