AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Offset Team has released a new sneak peek at their next-generation game, Project Offset. We bring you the WMVHD version of the movie plus a standard resolution movie for those with slow machines and connections. Here is what the Offset Team said about their game:

"Project Offset" (working title) is a game like no other first person shooter to date. We wanted to make an FPS set in a epic fantasy world. A game where you can choose one of many character classes. A game where clans can combat over mission based objectives and be ranked accordingly. A game where you can play alone, coop, team based objective or deathmatch.

The controls feel exactly how an FPS player would expect. Play as an archer and your skill using the bow and leading your target is what will set you apart. When the battles get close up, pull out your sword and continue the fight melee.

For players who like vehicle combat, we won't disappoint. Project Offset will have creatures you can ride, dragons you can fly, siege weapons you can man -- all part of an epic battle between you and your foes.

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-...-Peek-2-WMVHD/

Looks like this will may be a multiplatform title PC, X360, and PS3..

·
Registered
446 Posts
If that is really in game stuff I can't wait for my 360!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
probably a year a way though....

·
Registered
860 Posts
Wow that looks amazing. If that clip is any indication, this generation will see the elusive "toy story graphics." That level of quality will in fact raise the immersion level several notches.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
The idea for the game sounds wonderful but I am slightly worried that the game is being made by only three people. I do wish them luck though since it does sound like it could make a great game. Also just to point this out but at the moment they are mainly making this game for the PC.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
Also just to point this out but at the moment they are mainly making this game for the PC.
I saw that after I posted which makes me a little less excited. I thought they were achieving all of the features on 360 dev kits. Not the case I guess. Now it seems more like, the engine can support soft shadowing on every game object (as the sneak peak states), but it will take dual Nvidia 8800 XT_GTXLs with 4 gigs of RAM to run.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking2673
I saw that after I posted which makes me a little less excited. I thought they were achieving all of the features on 360 dev kits. Not the case I guess. Now it seems more like, the engine can support soft shadowing on every game object (as the sneak peak states), but it will take dual Nvidia 8800 XT_GTXLs with 4 gigs of RAM to run.

What??

Both demos are running on a single nVidia NV40 (GeForce 6800 Ultra) and its release on X360 and/or PS3 is pending....they are trying to court publishers and if they get a big one (say, someone like Activision or Ubi or Midway, for example) then you can be sure this game will be multiplatform...

BTW, the main programmer (Sam McGrath) used to work at S2 games, and worked on Savage for the PC.......talented guy...

·
Registered
860 Posts
In FEAR I am assuming that not EVERY game object casts a soft shadow, but only dynamic objects. That is the general shadowing rule. The demo states that every game object casts a soft shadow. From what I read on this forum, turning on soft shadowing on FEAR brings even high end machines to their knees a high resolutions. I would LOVE to be wrong about this, and I admit I may be, but I have a strong feeling that even though their engine looks like a great piece of tech, it will take serious horsepower to run full out. Is Gears of Wars going to have soft and self shadowing on EVERY game object? (That's not rhetorical, I actually want to know)

ps Where does it say that the demo was run on a single 6800 Ultra. Did I miss that?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking2673
ps Where does it say that the demo was run on a single 6800 Ultra. Did I miss that?

http://www.projectoffset.com/news.html

Quote:
June 22, 2004 - Shader system

I received an NV40 from nVidia a couple of weeks ago. Just trying some complex shaders in RenderMonkey that used to run at about 10fps on my NV35 now run at 60 or more on the NV40. The speed, SM 3.0 and full floating point support is going to help a great deal with engine development. Thanks nVidia (and Keith Galocy, specifically)!
Quote:
December 28, 2004 - Lighting Pipeline

I have implemented the engine's lighting pipeline for NV40 hardware. It's fully per pixel and generalized for any type of lighting environment. There are no hacks! For instance, if you tell a light to cast a projected texture into the scene, it does exactly that - casts the texture as light. In older engines you saw projected textures being rendered additively into the scene after the basic lighting had taken place. With the new pipeline, projected textures are treated in exactly the same way they would be in an offline renderer like Renderman - as illuminance parameters that get fed to the surface shader. The same goes for shadow maps (which I'm in the process of implementing now) - they are treated as part of the lighting equation, not rendered on top of the scene in a separate pass. This gives the scene a much more uniform look, with correct specular hilites inside shadows and projected textures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.