AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has requested that I build a sub for his ski boat.

He wants the enclosure installed in a storage compartment under a bench seat and has given me prelimenary measurements of 36 long x 15 deep x 12 wide.

The sub will be used when they are beached on sand bars and such .

Since he wants the enclosure totally isolated from the weather I'm thinking of using a pro woofer for efficiency in a band pass box but this is new territory for me. The amp will be purchased after I have the design ironed out.

If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained /forum/post/18309084

A friend has requested that I build a sub for his ski boat.

He wants the enclosure installed in a storage compartment under a bench seat and has given me prelimenary measurements of 36 long x 15 deep x 12 wide.

The sub will be used when they are beached on sand bars and such .

Since he wants the enclosure totally isolated from the weather I'm thinking of using a pro woofer for efficiency in a band pass box but this is new territory for me. The amp will be purchased after I have the design ironed out.

If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Strap an outboard to a THT and call it a day!

dbl

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't you know the sand bar would be rocking.

Too bad the autotuba won't fit. I will be going over there this week to get the exact measurements I have to work with.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained /forum/post/18309162

Don't you know the sand bar would be rocking.

Too bad the autotuba won't fit. I will be going over there this week to get the exact measurements I have to work with.

Heck for that matter just put the mouth in the water, crank it up and you'll have your jet.

A 'tuba' of sorts is probably your best bet and if you post this question over on Bill's site, you may get some modded auto tuba info. I did some googlein'' and found quite a few hits with water resistant speakers for boats, so they live. If you can find the TS info then you can tell what size box to go with. Max may be able to help you with the size of a custom box.

dbl

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poly or anodized aluminum drivers will work in a ported box and this is for music so it doesn't need to be tuned low.

Might need to see if Mike or Max want to help with a small tapped horn. That little mcm 8 might do the trick.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
That is a nice driver for the price!

dbl

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dan, I will check that out.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting thread Dan. Too bad he hasnt updated the thread with the build.

A tapped horn like that should work if I could get one sized to fit his storage area.

I do have a pair of Eminence 12"DVC's with poly cones and rubber surrounds that will work in this environment.

I modeled up a 36x13x11 with a pair of these tuned to 30hz. It wont have the low end but the mid-bass should be fair at 124 [email protected]

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Kyle , I need to take a look at the new line of TC drivers.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained /forum/post/18317021

Thanks Kyle , I need to take a look at the new line of TC drivers.

I should have said "all expect the pro 5100" which of course does not have the rubber surround. You can also use a VMP in conjunction with the active driver and ensure a 100% air tight seal against (salt) water / air. This may help prevent potential long term rust on the motor, but you can get the advantage of a 4th order box without the giant vent subject to the elements. Most all the tc drivers work very well in small places anyway. Do you take the boat on the ocean or is this strictly fresh water?

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I've done a ton of boating over the years. Remember, a powerful system will drain the battery (s) very quickly. It's a bummer when you go to leave the beach and the motor won't turn over.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kyle , it is a friends boat and he only uses it in freshwater now but we are only 100 miles from Panama City Beach Florida so there is a chance he may use it in salt water.

Wrager ,

you are dead on with the power drain. I will be installing two deep cycle batteries to run his stereo system as well as upgrading his charging system. He currently runs several pairs of speakers built in to the boat and some on the wakeboard tower off of his starting battery . I told him if he did that long enough it would bite him one day.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My biggest concern is how much spl I am going to be able to give him considering he wants everything contained in the storage compartment. He will not allow me to cut an area for a horn mouth to fire into the boat even though I am quite experienced with fiberglass and sheetmetal fabrication.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager /forum/post/18317493

I've done a ton of boating over the years. Remember, a powerful system will drain the battery (s) very quickly. It's a bummer when you go to leave the beach and the motor won't turn over.

That's why you run a relay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts