AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first start off with a little introduction about myself.

I am 23 years old and and lived in Michigan my whole life. I graduated College in 2010 and have been working in IT for over 2 years as a server admin and have since become a Network Operation Engineer. Last May I bought my first house which was a bank repo that needed A LOT of work! I have always been into HT's since I can remember. With being my first house, I wanted to make sure I could buy something that had possibilities of having a smaller theater in the basement. With many drawings and a lot of long nights figuring I finally came up with the final drawings and savings to do so.As far as the room goes, I did not have a lot of room to work with which made things very hard.

Room Description

15' 9" Long

10' 3" Wide

7' Ceilings

Equipment List

Projector: Optima HD-20 Projector

Screen: 84"

Receiver: Denon 789

Definitive Technology Speakers 5.1

2 x BP7006's Fronts

2 x BP 1.2x Surrounds

CLR2002 Center

HTPC: E350 proccesor, 8GB DDR3 Ram, 120GB SSD XBMC.

Rough Sketch...

Basement before any construction:

21' by 23' wall to wall

First trip to lowes!

First day of framing after going to lowes

my little helper!

Day 2

These are the 4 sconce lights I decided to put on the walls.

Day 3

Soundproofing stuff is here! Thansk Dan and Ted!

Clips going up

5/8" OSB for first layer

Picked up drywall. 36 - 1/2" for walls, 6 - 5/8 for ceiling and 1 - 1/2" 12 footer

Thank god for friends who come over late to carry drywall down

All walls are complete. Doing the ceiling the next day,

4 more seats arrived bringing total to 6 seats total. Seats are from 4seating and are their First Class Movie Theater Chairs

I hung all the drywall but am paying someone to mud and tape it all. They will be finishing up today and I will post more pictures.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,118 Posts
Thank God you didn't hang the projector and screen or this project would be over. RESIST THE URGE UNTIL THE ROOM IS 100% DONE, Give it to a friend to keep for you and make them promise not to return it no matter how hard you plead.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1467779/project-young-kid/0_100#post_23191145

Thank God you didn't hang the projector and screen or this project would be over. RESIST THE URGE UNTIL THE ROOM IS 100% DONE, Give it to a friend to keep for you and make them promise not to return it no matter how hard you plead.
Well I had to do a little testing for a few hours while figuring out where I needed to run PVC for low voltage and AC for projector
Wanted to make sure the calculators were all correct.

·
Registered
392 Posts
How much did this cost so far? I'm talking about the building materials and tool rentals only and not any beer paid to friends to move said materials into your basement or fees paid to have the drywall taped and mudded.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus  /t/1467779/project-young-kid/0_100#post_23193451

How much did this cost so far? I'm talking about the building materials and tool rentals only and not any beer paid to friends to move said materials into your basement or fees paid to have the drywall taped and mudded.
As far as the tools go, I had everything. I do not recall many tools I needed besides some bits and stuff under 20 Bucks,

As far as building materials I will give a small break down..

Lumber: 400

Drywall: 350-400

Insulation: 100

Soundproof clips, caulk and track: 150

Electrical: 150

I still need lumber for the stage and riser area so that is not calculated.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
People like you make me sick. You've gotten more done in a few days than I have in a year.

I agree with Big on the pj comment. Mine actually is at a friends house so I don't have any weak moments and............................

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well done! Nice progress so far, keep it up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback! My goal this weekend is to spray the other side of the basement rafters black( I did not want to finish the ceiling or do a drop). I would also like to get the stage built along with the riser.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
First of all congrats for owning your first house at only 23! Man at 23 all I wanted to do was chase tail and party so a BIG congrats for taking on the responsibility of being a home owner at such a young age.

So far it looks to be coming along really well! Defiantly don't hang the projector till everything's done otherwise you'll never finish off the room!...lol

Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My space is 15' x 11' with 7'-8" ceilings. I'm no where near ready to start, so I'll be watching your progress closely. I'm having a difficult time picturing what my room will look like, so your build will help me put everything into perspective.

The chairs are a perfect example. I've currently got a row of 4 berkline 45004's that I don't think will work in the room. I've been debating getting some 'real' theater chairs. Thanks for posting the link to where you got yours!

Todd

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee  /t/1467779/project-young-kid/0_100#post_23201127

My space is 15' x 11' with 7'-8" ceilings. I'm no where near ready to start, so I'll be watching your progress closely. I'm having a difficult time picturing what my room will look like, so your build will help me put everything into perspective.

The chairs are a perfect example. I've currently got a row of 4 berkline 45004's that I don't think will work in the room. I've been debating getting some 'real' theater chairs. Thanks for posting the link to where you got yours!

Todd
Todd, I had a lot of issues trying to see how mine was going to look also. Having a small place to work does not help. Your lucky you have taller ceilings than I do though. ..should make the build a little easier. As far as the seats..I wanted to get something else but they were all to dominant to such a small room. Now that I did the theater chairs I am a lot happier and know I will have the leg room I wanted. Hope my project helps you out. Ask any questions as I go.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well this past week has been a lot more busy then I had expected. I was able to get the basement ceiling joist all primed and painted on Saturday and Sunday.

Before.....

After!

The theater room has been neglected as the butt-joints ins the ceiling are horrible and I am waiting for the drywall crew to come back out again..

My next step is priming all thew new drywall and choosing paint colors.

I am thinking black ceiling and a darker grey wall (eggshell finish)

As far as carpet goes these are the 2 I am kind of leaving towards. Glad my mom sells carpet and I get wholesale on it

Shaw- Ray Of Light

Shaw-Westbay

·
Registered
689 Posts
Both carpet choices look great. I am leaning towards the second one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz  /t/1467779/project-young-kid/0_100#post_23232466

Both carpet choices look great. I am leaning towards the second one.
As am I. I need to get exact prices for the second one. Think it is around $13 ish a yard at my cost..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.