AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those that have their projector behind a wall before I start making holes:

How big is the hole in your wall and is the front of the lens flush with the front of the wall or a little recessed?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Robert,

I wrote up a little "step-by-step" of my behind-wall DIY installation.

You can find the details at www.theaterphile.com

(Note: You will get a single pop-up window when entering the site. I just wanted to let you know.)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mark's setup is very attractive, and cleverly done. Also very little sound from the projector is going to make in through the wall. However there is another consideration: Will you be able to adjust the picture from behind the wall without making a thousand trips around to see the screen or without an assistant? I would recommend a separate viewing port for this purpose, or making a large enough window to allow looking over the top of the projector from behind. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I started with a hole similar to Mark's installation. In fact, Mark's DIY was my inspiration and starting point. However, the hole became problematic when I wanted to use the Panamorph. The whole idea is to have the projector out of sight for noise and aesthetic purposes. The hole that I originally made for the projector lens would not work with the Panamorph. I ended up making an 8x10 opening to install a piece of non-reflective optical glass in the wall and I have the projector and the Panamorph behind the glass. It works great and gives me the freedom to easily adjust the lens and projector, if necessary. The glass looks cool too (not that I care about such things). Finally, and most importantly, my wife approves.

Alan

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I cut a 4" hole and slipped a recessed can light trim in the hole painted to match the walls. The can trim has the black baffle attached so the projector is about 3" back from the front of the wall. The end result is an opening about 3" wide.

I do have to run back and forth to adjust the projector initially but once it is set, it never moves so I have been quite satisfied with the end result.

I will try to attach a photo below but I have not had much success doing this before so no guarantee :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I project through a hole trimmed with recessed light trim. I set up the picture using my video camera on a tripod in front of the screen connected to a TV which is with me behind the wall. When I do fine focusing, I move the camera very close to the screen. One problem I'm having, though, is with my new projector and a Panamorph. With the Panamorph and projector behind the wall, the hole isn't big enough. I'm going to try it with the Panamorph in front of the wall and see what happens.

Chuck Davis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.