Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hi list,

I am planning on projecting a wedding tribute DVD created with iDVD at a rehearsal dinner. I posted to the DVD section of 2-pop and heard back that I would be dissappointed with the quality of an iDVD creted project being projected. But the flexabily of just having to bring a projector is quite attractive, much moreso than a large screen, so I'm hoping someone can tell me if I only project a little bit, say a 60 inches viewing area, that I might get by.

Could anyone recommend a particular model and;

Could anyone suggest a place where I might rent one.

I'm based in New York.

Many tanks and warm regards,

Kevin

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
First make sure that your iDVD plays on the DVD player you intend to use (unless your using a laptop). If you have access to a projector, take the DVD with you and try it. I'm sure that one of the retailers here in NYC will allow you to put it through one of their pj's if you tell then you only need a minute or two. Good luck.

·
Registered
842 Posts
As a owner of a power G4 I have to tell you that IDVD is pretty bad I corrently use Final Cut Pro 3 to edit and burn my projects I use a DVI - ADC adaptor to a Mitsubishi X400 and it is gorgeous. should try. if you need FCP send me a Email... Rick

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Angeli662
As a owner of a power G4 I have to tell you that IDVD is pretty bad I corrently use Final Cut Pro 3 to edit and burn my projects
By "pretty bad", do you mean that the resultant quality is poor, or just that it can't author terribly complex DVDs? Assuming that a bunch of clips with a simple menu system is sufficient, what specifically is wrong with iDVD?

Alex

·
Registered
842 Posts
What I meant is IDVD is terribly limited in all aspect; to mention a few color correction HD etc... IDVD to me was designed for house wives and others the doesn't care much about the final product, FCP is a much better choice, but if you want to be a little bit fancier get DVD studio Pro a DVD authoring software.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone ofr their input.

I do own DVDStudio Pro but iDVD is just simpler and quicker for what I need right now. I also do work with FCP bring the fnished project into iDVD. From my understanding the Apple codec is the same for both iDVD and DVD Studio Pro, the only difference being in DVDSP you can select your resolution quality while in iDVD it's set automatically to (I think 8 on a scale of 1-10) for under an hour and something like 6 if your program is above an hour. My only other option would be using the Heuris codec wjicj is better but much slower.

What I'm most interested on learning about now is what projector I can use to optimise the quality of this DVD production and hopefully where I might be able to rent one in New York.

...and I'd love to hear any reports of anyone who's tried this setup

Many thanks and warm regards,

kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi List.

Regarding compataibility of a DVD burned with iDVD or DVDStudio Pro (on a mac), I know disks that I generate with both softwares plays in my Pioneer DVD settop player. I'm hoping I can get a projector that I can plug my Pioneer into and project the image that way. As I'm cmpletely new to this I'd be grateful if someone can confirm that this is the drill.

Again many thakns to everyone for their help.

Great list

·
Registered
842 Posts
You can use basically any projector to display from you DVD player most projector comes with composite, component and 15 pin BNC. I don't know wich kind o MAC you have, but I have a G4 dual with ADC out which I some times I use with a ADC-DVI adapter, now if you rent a projector with a DVI - D in this would be the best choice. although DVD players are good but using a computer is the best choice for a digital projector, It would work like a scalier there for making the image much better. I currently use a MITSUBISH X400 it is 3000 lummens 400.1cr. with my HTPC or MAC. check www.Projectorcentral.com for rental places in NY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much indeed for your pormpt and informative response. I called a few vendors off Porjector Cenrtral in NY. I got a few quotes ranging from $75 (Phillips) to $350 per day (Epsom) and I'm wondering if you or anyone one the list can recommend a basic model which would be suitable for projecting a DVD to 30 people. I don't think we require hugely fancy stuff, just a decent quality picture. Also can you advise if projectors come with speakers or if those have to be set up separately.

Many thanks indeed for all the help on this great forum!!!

warm regards,

Kevin

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would recommend bringing your Mac to the dinner and playing your video directly off it - rather than recompressing material and playing it off of DVD. Just go full-screen in iMovie..

drewman

·
Registered
842 Posts
most projectors comes with speakers but for a crowd of 30 I would recommend using a AV receiver and get the brightest you can afford ,I would say 2000 lummens and up any thing less you have to keep the room in completly darkness. unfortunately the choices are endless ,try to stick to LCDs you can go wrong. Between all the projectors I've owened my favorite is the Mitsubishi X400, second would be the Sanyo and Panasonic.The good thing about Mitsubishi is the skin tones seems to me more realistic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.