AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have one more question about projector installation.

I can't install a screen because the wall on which I will project is just up a fireplace so my screen would have problems of heat and smoke! So I was obliged to use my wall and I want to paint it before buying the projector (as now is dirty).

I would ask you if it's better to use a white paint or a light grey, for example, to increase the blacks of the panasonic 300.

And is it better a opaque paint or a bright,shining one?

Thank you very much

Paolo-Italy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not always cheap! :)

No, I'm joking, your suggest it's true, I can obviously try both colors but I would prefer to avoid to spend time and money (expecially with the light grey) and then have to re-paint in a traditional way my wall.

In my national AV forum I received a lot of opposite tips. Someone told me to have a white bright wall, someone to mix a little black in white paint to produce the light grey, others told me to use white opaque paint...

I'm very doubtful!

Could anyone give me some elements to take a right decision?

thanks

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Paolo ...

I held a shootout in Canada here. We tried some "Paint" combinations that some had suggested as the holy grail. Reality ... they all were very poor. Rated worst among solutions. If you want to try a screen coating that works... notice I said screen coating ...not paint. Then try out some Goo. Also check out the pic of my mount I just put up since I noted you were thinking of the X1. It is a picture of a mount that was shipped in your native country. Goo was just on Tech TV on September the 9th. They liked it.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Just what do Canadians use for paint? Earlier on this forum I read where a member compared paint to his Greyhawk and he and his company both preferred the paint. Just out of curiosity what is it about the 'Goo' you find most appealing? How in your opinion does it best the other popular solutions mentioned in this forum? Which 'goo' would you recommend for LCD projectors?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Paolo,

Sadly, I sold my house just after finishing my theater (can't wait until the new house if finished so I can start all over again), but I was projecting the image directly on the wall as you intend. I used a VERY light shade of gray and the picture was excellent. Originally, I was planning on using the painted wall temporarily until I decided which screen to buy. However, after seeing how good the picture on the wall looked, I never saw the need to spend the money for the screen.

If I remember correctly, the paint was Behr Grey Tropics from Home Depot which I had them cut to 25% of the color formula. Just use a flat latex paint, roll it on with a short napped roller, and you shouldn't have any problems. Do whatever you can to make sure the surface of the wall is as flat and smooth as possible before painting.

You may want to consider framing your screen area with some kind of trim painted flat black, which finishes it nicely, helps perceived contrast, and gives it more of a "screen" look.

Good Luck,

Doug

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
We had a Greyhawk screen at the shootout. That screen requires a light cannon... Only the PLV70 and the NEC 260 did it justice... and actually only one person picked it as their favorite screen and that was with the PLV70.

There was a Home Depot paint combination that was being recommended at the time of the shootout and since many people were using it a member on this forum was kind and gracious enough to supply enough of the combo to do a screen. I had a gentleman from the USA that is a home theater, designer come and do the prep... and apply the coating. Spent the better part of a day making sure all was as good as he could get it.

Results were the worst at the shootout... even the uncoated parklands plastic scored way better. The colors were all wacked... much of the image detail was lost...

The goo I would recommend would depend on the size of the screen, the lumen output of your projector, the projector used. You can customize the mix to take some of these projectors.

It may appear simple to make a good screen coating. as just paint. If you ever get a chance to look at a paint coating... and compare it to a Goo Coating or a commercial screen under a microscope you may appreciate some of the differences. Goo is not Paint. We still have the screen made with the Behr paint combo... stag, and pearlescence combo. similar to the aforementioned but without the pearl coating.

I sprayed the coating with a gravity feed gun... The top coat had metal particles that were very finely ground. The closest you will get to seeing all the differences is to actually spray it yourself. You do not get a sense of the difference when rolling it.

The primary initial purpose of the shootout was to try out different screens commercial and DIY. PLEASE Don't tell me I am going to have to do this all over again every 6 months. There was about 75 people at the shootout, so I trusted the judgement of the people that responded, not just my own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.