AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my long -- and so far unsuccessful efforts -- to convert my wife to the wonders of a front projector, I happened to mention while lying in bed that we could project a movie on the ceiling.

This provided the first glint of interest. She loves lying down while watching movies.

Now I'm wondering -- has anyone done this? Any reason to think a projector pointed to the ceiling would be a problem? I can't think of any physical reason why a projector would care what direction it was pointed. Perhaps I'd need to dust the lens more often.

(Getting the sound right would be a completely different issue, of course. But first things first.)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
I can't think of any physical reason why a projector would care what direction it was pointed. Perhaps I'd need to dust the lens more often.
Sony warns against inclining the HS10 more than so many degrees. 15 degrees, I think. I don't know about other projectors. Interesting idea.

Gary

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah, most projectors don't like tilts. Keep the projector flat and use a mirror at a 45 degree angle. I've done it once, it was kinda fun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some projector manuals warn of tilting a projector too much, some don't, but I'd play it safe and use a mirror. Then, use the projector's front/rear desk/ceiling options to get the image flipped back the right way. If you really want to be fancy about it, use a first-surface mirror. They are more fragile than regular mirrors and scratch easily, but as they are silvered on the front, they reflect more light with less distortion.

Personally, I'd try my $3 travel shaving mirror on a stand just to see how it works, before rigging up anything fancier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.