AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a training application that would benefit from projecting video and still images onto the floor with people standing around the projected images.

The room has a 9 or 10 foot ceiling. The floor would be used normally when trainings are not occurring.

Can any projectors be safely mounted in a downward orientation?

As an alternative I assume an angled mirror could be used to reflect the projected image from a horizontally mounted projector to the floor.

Does anyone have experience with this?

If it's possible, what suggestions do you have for a projection surface on the floor.

The room has off-white walls that can be repainted if necessary, the ceiling is 2 foot suspended ceiling tiles, and we can shade windows depending on time of day of the training.

Thanks.

Tim///

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
There is no issue doing this with an angled mirror and it will give you more projection options. You should use a first-surface mirror or a mylar mirror to accomplish this and it will all need to be in a specialty frame to hold it properly, but isn't terribly difficult to setup by an experienced installer.

Some, but not all, projectors may be pointed straight down. It has to do with airflow around the projector and damage this causes to the lamp assembly. You should check the manual of any projector you are interested in to see if it is possible. I just wouldn't expect it from most projectors.

For the room itself, your screen size will determine how much light control you need. You want a minimum of 80 lumens per square foot of screen space in any normally lit conference room space. That's for PowerPoint type presentations, not for anything with detailed black levels in it. No sunlight in the room, minimal external ambient lighting beyond some fluorescent lamps.

For a projection surface, a white vinyl of some sort, or any white painted surface will suffice if done properly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts