AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot about the need to mask the black bars on a 16.9 screen when watching widescreen movies to give better contrast and viewing experience. That leads me to look at the monoprice multi aspect screens however I'm wondering if they are needed.

I'm planning to buy an Epson 2040 bases on reviews and my budget but I'm wondering if I can just project directly to a wall instead of using a screen.

If I do this would I not have the black bar issue when watching 2.4 content? Would it make a difference if my wall was painted white/grey/black?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
If I do this would I not have the black bar issue when watching 2.4 content?
Yes, you'll have the same "issue", but let's not call it that. Having masking on a screen to cover the unused areas is great, but the majority of projector owners don't have it. Masking improves things, but a lack of masking isn't a problem...

Would it make a difference if my wall was painted white/grey/black?
See the DIY Screens forum, but you want the wall white or a specific color chosen for being a "screen surface". And that's certainly not black!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
My white screen/wall in 2.35:1/143.5 inches with grey bars visible. Keep in mind the photo lessens the impact of the bars but look how simple it would be on a more open wall to mask with a couple of panels at the top and bottom.

Next how about an odd aspect ratio like 2.76:1 and 140 inches. Just add a little extra to the panels in height to cover 2.4 or 2.76 so the same panels could be used over an over. Leaving only 4:3 content not covered.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Honestly, it really depends on if it bothers you or not, and how much non 16.9:1 content you'll be watching.
I'm the type that it really doesn't bother me, esp. since I use my screen for everyday 16.9:1 content far more then movie time when the rest the rim is considerably more blacked out anyway. And that includes prior to framing the wall at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts