AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received this e-mail from Projection Design. I think we all knew this projector was coming to CES but now it is official.

Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True 1080p single chip DLP front projection launches at CES, Jan 5 - 8!

The projectiondesign Action! model three 1080 is the world's first front projector featuring single chip 1080p DLP, premiering on booth #20336D!

True, uncompressed, HDTV at 1920 x 1080 resolution. The future is here with the Action! model three 1080 high performance home cinema projector. Based on the new, and most eagerly awaited, 0.95" 1080p DLP technology with DarkChip3 enhancement, the Action! model three 1080 unveils the finest video ever. Featuring our own patented DuArch Dual Architecture optics for stunning colour and contrast, and introducing the world's most advanced video processor - the Crystalio II, with true 1080i to 1080p motion adaptive deinterlacing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=589336

Look at this thread.

I saw this projector months ago.

It was very poorly set up and it was an open case prototype.

I have a screenplay 5700 at home,

the problems I have are ocasional rainbows, SDE, lack of resolution and dithering.

None of these bothers me all that much, unless I start looking for them,

most of the time however I just enjoy my movies.

Like I said, it was very poorly set up and it was a prototype,

but as far as I could tell this beast has lots of potential

and I couldn't detect any of the problems I experience at home.

I've never seen the ruby, but I like the film-like quality of LCOS (another DLP problem).

This DLP might suffer slighty from rainbows or dithering, I don't know,

but this might be less distracting than the 'slight' misconvergence some ruby-owners are talking about. I eagerly await the reviews.

Both have their strong and 'weak' points, I think.

By the time I can afford a 1080p-PJ it'll probably be more obvious who owns the superior technology.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b
what about rainbow?

how did this newer pj compare to the ruby?

can anyone commet?
At cedia I couldn't see rainbows. I also adressed the crowd of 30-40 people crammed in the demo booth and none reported seeing any.

This is the first DLP I couldn't see rainbows when I want.

Ken

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles
By the time I can afford a 1080p...then we would only need one forum category :(

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=589336

Look at this thread.

I saw this projector months ago.

It was very poorly set up and it was an open case prototype.
I also saw it at this time. It had very poor black level. The black level was so poor, that I couldn't imagine it to be the machine itself, considering it was a high end DLP machine. So I guessed something with the PC/video levels was wrong in the setup.

Unfortunately now after reading Greg's test of the 720 version I appear to know better. It had been wishful thinking on my side, because I wanted this machine to become my targeted 1080 purchase.

Unfortunately now no good bright 1080 machine appears to be left on the market, unless a miracle happens and PD improves contrast in their 1080 version dramatically. But even then it would probably be not better than average, with respect to black level and CR.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuebler
The black level was so poor, that I couldn't imagine it to be the machine itself, considering it was a high end DLP machine.
Neither could I, it was an open case prototype, the walls were cream, and the curtains let a lot of light in.

Quote:
Unfortunately now after reading Greg's test of the 720 version I appear to know better.
I hope that they have the ability to prove you wrong, because that would truly be a disappointment!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger
I do not think we will ever see a superior technology. I hope not, then we would only need one forum category :(
Two years ago, it was clear to me that DLP was the superior technology (in my price range at least), LCD just couldn't compete.

I am not biased towards any technology whatsoever, but I have clear preferences and whichever technology meets those best, is superior according to me.

I just hope the competition will be fierce, that'll drive the prices down to where I can reach them. DLP, LCD and SXRD all seem promising. In the mean time I'll just have to be happy with what I have and enjoy the envy of those who don't frequent this forum. :D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Neither could I, it was an open case prototype, the walls were cream, and the curtains let a lot of light in.
I took this into consideration and checked what was the black level (or absence of) coming directly from the PJ. And this was what was poor. Therefore I assumed at this time it must have something to do with the setup. Unfortunately my hope was wrong
Quote:
I hope that they have the ability to prove you wrong, because that would truly be a disappointment!
I have to say I doubt that a little bit. So the disappointment appears irrecoverable.

In order to be able for more patience time-wise, I just picked up an Epson Powerlite 800 for app. $2,200 including a spare lamp. This should give me some months to wait for a 1080 machine with brightness *and* good CR.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:
In order to be able for more patience time-wise, I just picked up an Epson Powerlite 800 for app. $2,200 including a spare lamp. This should give me some months to wait for a 1080 machine with brightness *and* good CR.
Congratulations, that's a great price for such a PJ, certainly if epson still rates their pj's conservatively (read: honestly), like they used to.

Who knows, maybe you'll like your epson that much that you decide to wait another year or so for the second generation of 1080p-devices. By that time there will actually be some HiDef-content available in Germany.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
premiere in germany have since 4 weeks 3 channels hd.

-movies

-sport

-hd discovery

the problem is no stb are there that can handle the mepeg 4 s2 stream.

because i am testing that box for premiere i will get one "hand made unit"

next tuesday.

today its not clear "when" you can purchase it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer
because i am testing that box for premiere i will get one "hand made unit"

next tuesday.
You're a lucky man.

I am sure it will look stunning on your qualia.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quote:
You're a lucky man.

I am sure it will look stunning on your qualia.

Don't count on it. I have seen some of the Premiere mpeg4 material and it looks poor. They're using 1st generation encoders, which is a bad mistake. An average US broadcast looks better than what Premiere is showing. The Premiere mpeg4 encodings lack fine detail, especially in scenes with alot of motion (rain, ...).

The only reason they're using mpeg4 is to save some bandwidth. This is also the case with BSkyB, which looks very similar in quality. However, there's also Cmore HD from Canal+. Even tho it isn't german, they offer absolute reference quality. Better than any US broadcast I've seen and very close to some of the best japanese and south korean material.

Give mpeg4 another year or two, by then they will have optimized encoders and the quality should be the same as current top-notch mpeg2.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hi

you mean Canal+ HD uses top notch mpeg4 encoders (at 16mbit/sec ?) ? i hope so cause mpeg4 lower than that rate looks ugly compared to 20-30mbit/s MPEG2

PDesign model i saw was stunning, 3D, super high contrast, excellent brigthness.

i wonder at what price they will market it in march....

1080P dlp will always be sharper and snappier than sxrd or dila. only DLP can provide the "speed of contrast" i should call it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004
PDesign model i saw was stunning, 3D, super high contrast, excellent brigthness.
How did you judge "super high contrast"? It is in some contradiction to my own observation and to Greg Rogers' test of the 720 unit.

When was it, at what opportunity, with what type of ambient light, what content? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
hi

it was during a HT show in a white room ! on a 240cm or so screen. HD source it was. night concert and daylight F1 racing. amazing. but good HD is always amazing!.... good HD in istelf offers vast superior black level, gamma and CR than dvd source.

can't wait to see what the CES will bring, very very curious....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004
Hi

you mean Canal+ HD uses top notch mpeg4 encoders (at 16mbit/sec ?) ? i hope so cause mpeg4 lower than that rate looks ugly compared to 20-30mbit/s MPEG2
No, they're using high-bitrate mpeg2. They had the choice to save bandwidth by using mpeg4 with poor quality or offer the best HD quality possible using mpeg2.

I have no doubt they'll switch to mpeg4 one day, but the encoders are not there yet.

At least those that they use. You can get very good results using uncompressed HD material and master it to HD-DVD. But that doesn't help alot, especially since you'd have to use the encoding workstation for playback...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.