AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone take note of Projection Design's new 2:35 projector?

avielo dot com/product-optix-superwide235 dot html

It is based on their commercial WQXGA 2560x1600 piece that is tiered down to a native 2560x1080 resolution. This allows the image height to stay constant as all the vertical rows are used in both scenarios. 2:35 content triggers the additional native horizontal rows.

In this case if you had a theater with standard motorized curtains, you could use 2 presets on those for 16:9 and 2:35. No vertical top and bottom masks would be required.

You will also not get any distortion from an external lens, nor degradation of brightness.

Just wondered if this was on anyone's radar?

Mark C

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeproav /forum/post/19526594

Did anyone take note of Projection Design's new 2:35 projector?

Yeah, here is the photo I took of it at CEDIA. I understand it is some $40K though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CAVX

Thanks for posting the pic. We see Projection Design as a viable choice in our commercial projects that use Barco or Christie. I didn't know what the feedback would be in the residential space. If you are looking at Runco/Vidikron/Digital Projection, this price tag wouldn't be a stretch.

230-SEAN

I can identify with the "uncool price" comment on a personal level, as I would never be able to purchase one at that price.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeproav
CAVX

Thanks for posting the pic. We see Projection Design as a viable choice in our commercial projects that use Barco or Christie. I didn't know what the feedback would be in the residential space. If you are looking at Runco/Vidikron/Digital Projection, this price tag wouldn't be a stretch.
This is my basic breakdown based on what I saw of the unit.

Pros -

CIH without A-Lens

Interchangeable lens allows for very short throws

Easy installations?

Cons -

Still projects black bars for smaller ARs

price: good 16:9 projector + A-lens is still more affordable.

Scaling of both H and V of letter boxed image for scope projection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts