AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to move out by Sept. 2003 and was curious on how far the technology is coming along. I'm new to this forum and need some insight. I have never really thought of a 100 inch screen being feasible and now the thought is more then exciting. I just revamped my HT room and bought new speakers and my 32 inch VEGA is alright for the time being. I know you guys do not have a crystal ball but how would todays projectors differ in a couple years? Reduction in rainbows for those who suffer? Will LCD be less popular? Any other predictions will be greatly appreciated. It will make that year drag even slower I'm afraid.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Joel,

In a year you should see some sizeable drops in the DLP 16:9 front projectors based on TI's upcoming 1280X720 HD2 chip.

By Sept 2003, I fearlessly predict that a sub $3k (street price) HD2 DLP front projector will be available or at the very least a used Japaneese Sharp 9000 HD1 projector will be available.

TI is making a real push to get costs down right now. If $3K is too much then you will probably be able to find a really good DLP presentation type projector that you could use for home somewhere in the less than $2K range.

Most of today's less expensive DLP's have rainbows for many people, but the new generation coming out right now have 4X or faster color wheel instead of the current 2X. This should make rainbows much less of an issue.

As far as LCD is concerned, I don't know. I can't believe they are currently as cheap as they are but somehow they keep getting cheaper even though they have many more parts than the DLP stuff. The Sanyo PLV70HT just coming out should be available for

·
Registered
571 Posts
What happens in late 2003 when rumours of a native 1920x1080 projector for $3k are on the horizon for late 2004? Do you wait?

It's just like buying a new PC- you know there's a faster one coming out, but if you wait, what are you going to miss in the meantime?

You have to jump in sometime...

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I expect that there will be reports from INFOCOMM on 1920x1080 projectors (LCOS and possibly LCD) that will be available within the next few months for less than $10,000.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh don't get me wrong I know that with today's technological achievements the difference with be fantastic. I'm willing to spend around $5000 in Sept2003 and I'm really in no hurry because it isn't feasible(for me) to contribute my cash toward one at the moment. There is always something better out there and if it makes me drop another $2000 to get perfect picture quality, I will. I'm just wondering if all the kinks and flaws will be worked out by then. You see all these comments about "rainbow" and "screendoor" has a lot of people wondering why should we upgrade at this given time? I know many of you are immune or ignore the effects...but come on...they are there and you know it in back of your mind. I remember seeing a projector and noticed the "rainbow" effect but had no idea it was a household word until I did research. If I'm going to buy a Mustang you don't want...oh something similar in annoyance...maybe a squeaky door that WD40 can't fix. I commend all of you for supporting the market and by no means am I trying to "put down". I'm just trying to be resourceful.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think another interesting question is: WHEN will DVD media go the way of the VHS tape, and what resolution (or how many lines) will the new standard be? If a new standard was coming out immenently I would want to wait to see what it was and how well it fit into the resolution/capability of the current projector technology. Then, you might be able to get a few extra years out of choosing an more ideal projector. I would assume, though, that purchasing an XGA or better resolution projector now is future-proof enough to last through one or more generations of media types.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Anyone have data on projector density over time and price over time? Sort of the equivalent to Moore's laws but for projectors. Perhaps it tracks to density of digital cameras?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Anyone have data on projector density over time and price over time? Sort of the equivalent to Moore's laws but for projectors. Perhaps it tracks to density of digital cameras?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.