AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been raking my mind on how to upgrade my current 32" LCD basement setup this holiday. looking for a sort of budget HT experience, I am thinking I would spend about $7-800 for an LED 50"-60" TV or under $1400 for a Projection setup using the W1070. I would be gaming heavily from my xbox One, which is also my media hub for DLNA using PLex and A-TV. I have come to using W1070 after heavy research, it would give me a great picture, good contrast for the value (looking to get it for under $700 around christmas time), and great response time (around 30-40ms) which is very important for me as a gamer along with a good contrast level.

My dilemma is would I really get that much more satisfaction by doubling my budget and going the projector route on a 110" screen, vs gaming cheaper and easier on a 50-60" LED setup. My basement can be completely darkened even in the day time, it is unfinished with that pink insulation stuff. My plan was to just buy some 2x4s and nail it to the ceiling structure and then affix a projector screen to it in some DIY way. Anyone have experience with a LED and a projection setup to say if one is worth it more then the other cost considering.

Question if I should go projection route is what kind of screen should I get that would give me a good reflection of picture. I wouldn't mind going the Fixed/Manual Pull down way, as it is mainly my area and the screen will probably forever stay up. Fixed screen I would assume would be much cheaper and I like inexpensive things.:)

Question for LED route is what LED TV would be great for contrast I have looked at many such as samsung UN55FH6030, and this holidays I expect alot of the LED TVs to come down in price. What are some monitors to look out for?

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you go the projector route, what will you use for sound?
Experience is completely different moving up from a 55" flat panel to a 110" projection system from a visual standpoint. One is far more immersive than the other.
There are all kinds of inexpensive options for projection surfaces; painted, black out fabric, spandex, repurposed larger 4:3 screens that can be cut down or masked, monoprice, craigslist.
If you haven't already, check out the DIY screen forum: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/
as far as flat panels are concerned, Sony usually gets good marks for lag time. Don't rule out the M series Vizios, lot of bang for the buck there. Sharp's on game mode usually test OK for lag and have been super reliable, at least the one's I've installed over the last 4 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a pioneer AVR with precision 5.1 speakers that has served me well over the last 7 years. I have only decided to go the projection route once my friend got a 120" screen with a 5030ub Epson projector. However I am not sure my area in the basement would be as ideal as my couch is closer and when gaming I'll be even closer. I have been looking at the M series actually, Vizio has come around. How is the contrast levels and longevity of the set? I didn't come down to a model to quickly refer ence for a comparison as I am having a harder time deciding which LED to get. I will have to check out that forum you suggested to see what my options will be for a screen. I have always liked the Aquos line, I am going to research them as well.
I am noticing that 110" may not be very common for 16:9, I am seeing alot more 109" displays then 120" as common sellers on kijiji and craigslist. Maybe I should be looking for 109" instead, or am I wrong and 110" is common for that aspect ratio.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Lots of posts to review on specific lines of flat panels here on AVS, if that is the route you are leaning towards.
Glad to hear you aren't just plugging in some PC speakers into the projector.
109" diagonal 16:9 screen size is very common among multiple manufacturers but there are no standards, the selection varies from model to model even within one manufacturers offerings.
Have you run numbers on the W1070's zoom range to see if your throw length jives with your ideal screen size range?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh definitely not, I love my sound too much. I just now need to upgrade my 32" LCD TV to match suit finally. Yes, I've gone to this projector site that has a list of projectors you can throw into their calculator. Provided its accurate I'm actually only going to need 9-12ft to get my image size. which works perfectly considering I have a Kinect, and is another selling point of the w1070's has a very short throw for a non-ST projector at 1.15 - 1.85 I believe. Of course I am new to projectors so maybe I havn't considered everything but I have the height and distance in mind for how to get the size.
I am going to check out some review posts of LEDs see if there's one recommended best for gaming with good contrast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.