AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bringing my unit to someone's house to show on Sunday the 25th Jan.. Let's see how many people he can sandwich in his basement with my help! :D :D :D Heheheh....

Free projected light for everybody!

Of course, he would probably like to only have folks from the Ottawa HT group in his house, or friends of those folks. Limited seating! First come, first serve! House 1/3 full already!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Great a chance to get this unit in front of some eyeballs

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Thanks for the help Ken:eek: I will clear the snow out of our backyard so that there is room for tents.

There has been a pretty positive response from Ottawa HT members, however, there is still room for a few more people. If anybody is interested shoot me an e-mail and I will put you on the list.

Ken will be demoing the Action 1 using a 1080P output from a HTPC. The Action 1 will be displayed on my 12' diagonal microperforated GrayHawk. That is a lot of screen for a single chip DLP, however, I expect the Action 1 will do an admirable job given its prodigious light output.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO PROBLEM on that screen, is my guess.

The bulb has 350hrs on it too, which is a real world test.

I also have a Greyhawk sample, and will hopefully be able to have the time to calibrate it to D6500 for the Greyhawk beforehand.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Ken,

I am really pumped for the demo. I have tested several projectors on my screen, but most are too dim. The InFocus 5700 was able to do a respectable job, and so I suspect the Action 1 will be fine. My screen really limits my choices for a suitable projector replacement.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. about 16.5-15.5 lumen per sq. ft.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting the 3000 lumen XGA unit in on Friday for a different demo, and might be able to bring that unit as well. May as well, the PD folk won't have problem with that I suspect. :)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the map turned out fine.

It also looks like I have the SXGA unit in my hands here today. So the second projector will be the 1280x1024 3000 lumen 'simulator market' unit, not the XGA unit.

Something for big screens.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
too bad I live about 3,000 miles and 100°F away... :)

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I am intrigued by this projector because it looks like it has the brightness I crave, while still having good contrast. After reading the manual, I am puzzled how I could make the installation work in my room.

My Hush box is high on the rear wall but 20% lower than the top of the screen. I would like to mount the projector upright, but it looks like the only way to do this is if it is table mounted 16% BELOW the bottom of the screen????

In the menu, it appears that there is a vertical image adjustment. Is this the same as a lens shift option? How much range of adjustment is there to shift the image vertically up or down without using keystone?

Without this ability, it looks like the only way to mount this projector is upside down 16% ABOVE the top of the screen???

Can anyone clarify this :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Phil

Your are right this will not work in your situation unless you mount this to a different location verses your current projector. Thats the only thing I do not like about this projector. It uses a presentation lens with that darn large offset and it has no lens shift to counter for this.

For this to really fit in with the HT market they need to add a lens shift function to help with the offset or go to a different configuration.

Unfortunately the Image shift is not the same thing and will not help.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Thanks Alan, I don't understand the lack of lens shift on so many of these so called "Home Theater" projectors. It seems that the manufacturers just don't get it :(

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Well, the TI reference design, upon which this projector and the Infocus 72xx are based, is prismless. My understanding is that there are certain picture quality advantages to this, and of course it is a cheaper, simpler optical path as well. But of course, the disadvantage is the reduced installation flexibility due to the fixed offset.

Personally I'm glad there is diversity on this choice. For those that don't need the lens shift it's an unnecessary addition to their projector that is costing them something, whether it is brightness, contrast, cost, weight, etc. For those that do need a lens shift, well, there are different projectors to choose.

I'm pretty sure that there is no projector this small and this light with an adjustable lens shift. The Optoma H76, for example, if it is ever released, seems to be a compact unit, and it has an adjustable shift---but it's also 16.5 pounds. Admittedly, ProjectionDesign could have added a couple more pounds to their unit without anyone complaining though.

Also, many projectors with a lens shift, including the H76, really don't get it right either. They don't let you mount the projector above or below the screen---it has to be somewhere between the top and bottom edges. Well, that leaves a number of us with high ceilings out in the cold. I want my projector flush with the ceiling, but my screen down at eye level. I think the DWin is a pleasant exception: their lens shift punches right through this artificial boundary.

Then again I'm lucky enough that the 16% offset works perfectly in my room. So it's easy for me to say.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I wonder how difficult it would be for a manufacturer to come out with a projector with multiple ofset options. I can appreciate the advantage to not having extra complexity in the optics. I just wish that there were more options for those with a more clasic home theater set up (High Rear Wall Long Throw).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.