AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

does anybody have some insights what happened to the announced "Über-Projector" from projection design (3-chip DLP, 50.000:1 contrast, 8000 Ansi Lumen, ...)?

It already won awards http://uk.cinenow.com/articles/7633-...ey-cedia-award , but on the projection design homepage there isn't a word about this device. Not under products, news, whatever.

Did anybody see this machine at a show? Does it exist? Are the specifications remotely realistic? I would even be happy with a quarter of the announced brightness and contrast....

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Realistic..........no., but even half would be amazing. I am waiting for some info but its like getting blood from a stone.

I am waiting eagerly for this baby.

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
What will this one run... Can mere mortals afford it?

·
Registered
21,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/12980809

What will this one run... Can mere mortals afford it?

Probably only Art and [email protected]@@

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/12980982

Probably only Art and [email protected]@@

Ive heard 2 figures $50k and $75k.

This worries me slightly as those prices look very low for that performance.

Im hoping for info this week or next, and will report or not, as the case may be.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
the m 80 is very likely delayed.

they will use the dc4 chips and they have to wait some months

for the chips.

the also add a adaptive iris (very likely in the optic) to get from the possible nativ 6000 to 7000:1 cr.the round 50000:1.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer /forum/post/12981726

for the chips.

the also add a adaptive iris (very likely in the optic) to get from the possible nativ 6000 to 7000:1 cr.the round 50000:1.

I cant wait to see this machine.

·
Registered
24,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer /forum/post/12981726

for the chips.

Wolfgang,

If it gets that kind of performance it would certainly be worth the wait ! This sounds like the TI demo machine for CEDIA. I say we will see it in a room more like a theater and a 20' wide screen.

Art

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/12983489

Wolfgang,

If it gets that kind of performance it would certainly be worth the wait ! This sounds like the TI demo machine for CEDIA. I say we will see it in a room more like a theater and a 20' wide screen.

Art

Are you getting an itch?

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
That thing was crushing blacks like crazy last cedia. UHP lamp driven 3dlp color does not hit primaries of rec 709. Why not demand that of a projector first before blindingly following the on/off spec.?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/12983619

That thing was crushing blacks like crazy last cedia. UHP lamp driven 3dlp color does not hit primaries of rec 709. Why not demand that of a projector first before blindingly following the on/off spec.?

FFS max, its just being looked at.

Whats your radius for installs, out of interest?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/12983693

I hope you will be at my funeral when the itch stopped.

Art

I hear you.

They'll need to prise that remote from my cold dead fingers.

·
Registered
27,088 Posts

If Art went to a M80, I'd be in line for his 'not as good' HT5000

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Not Sim, and probably not PD. Their primaries are way off. I think it is more difficult to 3dlp when there is no xenon.

LCOS yes. Any cheapie does more but it is neither controlled nor linear (you need calibration).

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/12986616

Not Sim, and probably not PD. Their primaries are way off..

What utterly uninformed effluent.

You never answered my question earlier......What is your install radius.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine /forum/post/12986624

Utter garbage.

You never answered my question earlier......What is your install radius.

Totally missed it, I was running around all day.

San Simeon Ca, Las Vegas NV,Vail, Aspen, Halifax Nova Scotia, Stockholm, Baar Switzerland, Jedda Saudi Arabia, Miami, Naples, Acapulco,Saint Thomas USVI, Caracas, Santiago, Florianopolis Brazil, Blumenau Brazil, Curitiba Brazil. Not exactly a radius though. Looks like we may have a forum member from Australia exploring the Dynaudio/Barco route, I'd like that.

Nowadays with the internet is very easy to have reliable systems in remote outposts, of course you do need some local installation talent, but that is ubiquitous. I was surprised how well the Nova Scotia thing went, we shipped everything to a sail yacht in Maine, and north it went. Same with those complex installs in the south of Brazil, a chain of referrals from 15 years ago that is still going, that huge dci rear projection setup: 3 years later and the guy is happy as hell and now wants to upgrade to a full Bel-air circuit kit, turns out his childhood friend owns most of the movie theaters in South America. The dci prints don't have the subtitles embedded unto the film, they are switchable off/spanish/portuguese, the sound tracks are identical to ours.

http://www.kinoplex.com.br/ click on proximos lancamentos

Some of the movies are a bit delayed compared to our releases, but when you consider that he can get in for free, except the gear, it's a no brainer.

I met with a bunch of Brazilians yesterday, they were bragging they have HD via Itunes, 1,000 movies. I shook my head and explained that that is not really hd, that it is a bit bigger than a dvd, then one of the teenagers said a dvd is 4-6 gigabytes, apple movie hd is like 7-8 gigabytes, I said blue ray is 30 gigabytes, then paused,and said the the BelAir Circuit films are 300 gigabytes.

Both of the big boys leaned back while assimilating the epiphany,and said we want that.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/12986669

Totally missed it, I was running around all day.

San Simeon Ca, Las Vegas NV,Vail, Aspen, Halifax Nova Scotia, Stockholm, Baar Switzerland, Jedda Saudi Arabia, Miami, Naples, Acapulco,Saint Thomas USVI, Caracas, Santiago, Florianopolis Brazil, Blumenau Brazil, Curitiba Brazil. Not exactly a radius though. Looks like we may have a forum member from Australia exploring the Dynaudio/Barco route, I'd like that.

Nowadays with the internet is very easy to have reliable systems in remote outposts, of course you do need some local installation talent, but that is ubiquitous. I was surprised how well the Nova Scotia thing went, we shipped everything to a sail yacht in Maine, and north it went. Same with those complex installs in the south of Brazil, a chain of referrals from 15 years ago that is still going, that huge dci rear projection setup: 3 years later and the guy is happy as hell and now wants to upgrade to a full Bel-air circuit kit, turns out his childhood friend owns most of the movie theaters in South America. The dci prints don't have the subtitles embedded unto the film, they are switchable off/spanish/portuguese, the sound tracks are identical to ours.

http://www.kinoplex.com.br/ click on proximos lancamentos

Some of the movies are a bit delayed compared to our releases, but when you consider that he can get in for free, except the gear, it's a no brainer.

I met with a bunch of Brazilians yesterday, they were bragging they have HD via Itunes, 1,000 movies. I shook my head and explained that that is not really hd, that it is a bit bigger than a dvd, then one of the teenagers said a dvd is 4-6 gigabytes, apple movie hd is like 7-8 gigabytes, I said blue ray is 30 gigabytes, then paused,and said the the BelAir Circuit films are 300 gigabytes.

Both of the big boys leaned back while assimilating the epiphany,and said we want that.

Thanks.

I modified my post above just prior to your reply. I think its rather more poetic

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Cold M you have to understand one thing, these primaries are f_cking serious business. They have to be measured with an option loaded spectrum radiometer, not that cheap crap that passes for color analysers.

It has to be either a Photo research or Minolta, and it needs to be upgraded and maintained at the 5nm wavelength accuracy, and not the 8nm accuracy.

I know 3 people with this kind of instrumentation. I assure you that NO UHP 3dlp will pass that test, even my beloved Digital projection with filtering at the lamp, and even the dc4 models, they will not do a full rec 709 primaries (at 5nm).

1 - 20 of 84 Posts