AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
room size--25x28 (tan walls)--screen on 25'wall

ceiling ht--7'7" (white drop tile ceiling)

viewing from--16'-25'

projector--Acer H5360 --will be ceiling mounted

This is a basement room with two windows that will be blacked out. The light is very controllable, but I would like to be able to keep lights on during football parties. I dont really want to paint anything but the screen at this point, how bad is the white ceiling and what effect will it have on screen size and placement?

How large of a screen can I go with and still have a "WoW" image? And what paint formula would be the best for this situation Silverscreen, MaxxMudd, S-I-L-V-E-R, etc. It looks like the Wagner Control Spray PLUS was the sprayer of choice, is it still?

Any suggestions on a good ceiling mount for the H5360?

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNBigFish /forum/post/19535748

viewing from--16'-25'

This is a basement room with two windows that will be blacked out. The light is very controllable, but I would like to be able to keep lights on during football parties. I dont really want to paint anything but the screen at this point, how bad is the white ceiling and what effect will it have on screen size and placement?

A lot of effect. At 7.7", the ceiling height will restrict size by forcing you to mount the top of the Screen as far down from the Drop Ceiling as possible to avoid excessive reflection. And you don't have a lot of height to start out with and seeing that your PJ's Lens will have to be close to the top of the Screen (...most likely as no Image offset figure is available...) the PJ could become a Head-bumper. Too bad that PJ is on the way. It would have been/always is better to have asked for opinions and gotten some definite answers as to what was needed in your situation. Budget seems to have ruled the decision as to the choice of PJ, but money ill spent is money wasted. My best advice would be to send the Acer back, and get comparable 720p LCD w/Lens Shift, mount it almost flush with the ceiling, and place a 54" x 96" Screen surface "centered" between the Floor and Ceiling

Quote:
How large of a screen can I go with and still have a "WoW" image? And what paint formula would be the best for this situation Silverscreen, MaxxMudd, S-I-L-V-E-R, etc. It looks like the Wagner Control Spray PLUS was the sprayer of choice, is it still?

Any help would be much appreciated!

We need to get settled as to what all your going to be dealing with, but as far as the screen size, there it is. If you decide to accept spraying the first 5' or so of Ceiling a ultra dark Gray, you could increase screen size substancialy out to 133" diagonal. ( 116" x 65") with the top of the Screen at 6" from the Ceiling and the bottom approx. 20" off the Floor

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Consider if you are using this projector for 3D, then you'll want more gain and less screen size considering it's 720p. If not even thinking 3D, consider one with a lens shift--but then why not go to 1080p. Most people are buying this for 3D.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNBigFish /forum/post/19535748

viewing from--16'-25'

How large of a screen can I go with and still have a "WoW" image? ...

I have got this PJ and i'm very happy with it.

Take a look at my screen
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=146
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19233538

The PJ distance to screen is about 3.8 m distance from ceiling about 15cm, screenwidth is 120".

I mounted it on a modified wooden turntable which is attached to the ceiling by 3 long screws (one in front two in the rear) usually used for mounting sinks to a wall. 3 nuts allow finetuning.

Take a look at the owners manual (available online) to see how far a distance you can go and what screen size is the max for your room. The projector is very bright, so 5 to 7 m distance should still be bright enough when using white or light gray screens.

Best regards!

Darker_plz

p.s.: A dark screen like mine 'eats light', so a white ceiling doesn't create much problems compared to a white screen

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker_plz /forum/post/19546145

A dark screen like mine 'eats light', so a white ceiling doesn't create much problems compared to a white screen

While that might be true under most circumstances, if the OP want's his screen to max out to a point just under the Ceiling, ANY light colored ceiling surface will reflect enough light to affect the contrast performance along the leading edge of even the most adept of Ambient light performing screens. Practical common sense, though not often always available out of hand, should be utilized when planning such an installation. You can find quite the repository of such advice right here among those who have "been there...done that. Its wise to seek out such.

In the case before us, the OP has several issues to address, the most pressing being the relationship to ceiling height / screen size / projector placement. He's being held back by the lack of mounting flexibility as far as the chosen PJ offers. It will be interesting to read what his response will be.. Until then, it's best not to confuse him with too much conflicting commentary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 /forum/post/19545087

Consider if you are using this projector for 3D, then you'll want more gain and less screen size considering it's 720p. If not even thinking 3D, consider one with a lens shift--but then why not go to 1080p. Most people are buying this for 3D.

no plans for 3D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/19544137

A lot of effect. At 7.7", the ceiling height will restrict size by forcing you to mount the top of the Screen as far down from the Drop Ceiling as possible to avoid excessive reflection. And you don't have a lot of height to start out with and seeing that your PJ's Lens will have to be close to the top of the Screen (...most likely as no Image offset figure is available...) the PJ could become a Head-bumper. Too bad that PJ is on the way. It would have been/always is better to have asked for opinions and gotten some definite answers as to what was needed in your situation. Budget seems to have ruled the decision as to the choice of PJ, but money ill spent is money wasted. My best advice would be to send the Acer back, and get comparable 720p LCD w/Lens Shift, mount it almost flush with the ceiling, and place a 54" x 96" Screen surface "centered" between the Floor and Ceiling

We need to get settled as to what all your going to be dealing with, but as far as the screen size, there it is. If you decide to accept spraying the first 5' or so of Ceiling a ultra dark Gray, you could increase screen size substancialy out to 133" diagonal. ( 116" x 65") with the top of the Screen at 6" from the Ceiling and the bottom approx. 20" off the Floor

Budget did rule the decision on projector. got it for $480 shipped. it basically boiled down to this one or no projector per SWMBO. I know it is far from ideal, but i would like to make the best with what i have to work with.

It sounds like I will need to spray the first 5 feet, which i can do. it is a drop ceiling, do they take paint well?

If i paint the first 5 feet or so, and the screen is 6 inches from the top, how far will the projector hang down? I'm 6'6" and would like to keep from losing anymore brain cells, i'm already running low!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker_plz /forum/post/19546145

Take a look at my screen
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=146
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19233538

The PJ distance to screen is about 3.8 m distance from ceiling about 15cm, screenwidth is 120".

I mounted it on a modified wooden turntable which is attached to the ceiling by 3 long screws (one in front two in the rear) usually used for mounting sinks to a wall. 3 nuts allow finetuning.

Take a look at the owners manual (available online) to see how far a distance you can go and what screen size is the max for your room. The projector is very bright, so 5 to 7 m distance should still be bright enough when using white or light gray screens.

Best regards!

Darker_plz

p.s.: A dark screen like mine 'eats light', so a white ceiling doesn't create much problems compared to a white screen

nice looking screen!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNBigFish /forum/post/19548385

which sprayer, control spray or control spray plus?

there is a black friday deal on the plus for $79, but i thought i read that some people prefer the original.

For continued use on many other projects...the Plus is a great choice. It's high output allows one to virtually fly through the chore of painting a screen.

However the original CS is easier to get accommodated with. It requires the paint be thinned more to flow easily, but the original CS's lower pressure output gives one a bit more leeway.

Either require that you practice to get paint viscosity matched to output matched to speed and distance while going across the material.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNBigFish
Budget did rule the decision on projector. got it for $480 shipped. it basically boiled down to this one or no projector per SWMBO. I know it is far from ideal, but i would like to make the best with what i have to work with.

It sounds like I will need to spray the first 5 feet, which i can do. it is a drop ceiling, do they take paint well?

If i paint the first 5 feet or so, and the screen is 6 inches from the top, how far will the projector hang down? I'm 6'6" and would like to keep from losing anymore brain cells, i'm already running low!
Drop ceilings take painting well when spraying them. Use a Paint that is known to cover well...a self Priming type like BEHR PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA Interior Fat Enamel. USE "DISNEY COLORS" "Mouse Ears". S[ray on over 3-4 successive light coats.

Hanging......., there's your hang up. I don't know how much if any Image offset the Acer has. Image offset is the distance the lens must be above the Top of the Screen. You do not have much leeway. All I can advise is to either ask for that info from Darker_Plz or over on the Acer h5360 thread and determine how much of a "head Knocker" it might be. Even if there is no image offset (rare but possible) it's still gonna be just under 7' if your mounting option demands at least a 6" gap between Ceiling and the top of the PJ's casing.

I wasn't kiddin' about there being potentially troubling issues with doing such a large screen in a low ceiling area with a DLP that has no lens shift. I wish you the best of luck though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNBigFish
i'm going to take your advise and paint the ceiling, going to go with a 120"-133" screen. what formula do you think would work best? i dont mind extra steps.
If we get that far, RS-MaxxMudd for Modest Ambient Light as a simpler solution, Silver Fire 3.0 as an ideally suited one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan
I don't know how much if any Image offset the Acer has. Image offset is the distance the lens must be above the Top of the Screen. You do not have much leeway. All I can advise is to either ask for that info from Darker_Plz or over on the Acer h5360 thread and determine how much of a "head Knocker" it might be.
I already recommended taking a look at the user manual...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...anual_5362.pdf

On pdf page 23 (regular page 11) all the needed information is available.

Best regards!

Darker_plz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan
Hanging......., there's your hang up. I don't know how much if any Image offset the Acer has. Image offset is the distance the lens must be above the Top of the Screen. You do not have much leeway. All I can advise is to either ask for that info from Darker_Plz or over on the Acer h5360 thread and determine how much of a "head Knocker" it might be. Even if there is no image offset (rare but possible) it's still gonna be just under 7' if your mounting option demands at least a 6" gap between Ceiling and the top of the PJ's casing.

this is from the projector central review, i dont know if its enough info-

"Image offset measured a reasonable 13.2% of screen height, comparing well to the 12% that is specified in the manual. In a tabletop configuration, the bottom edge of the image starts above lens center."

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNBigFish /forum/post/19551985

this is from the projector central review, i dont know if its enough info-

"Image offset measured a reasonable 13.2% of screen height, comparing well to the 12% that is specified in the manual. In a tabletop configuration, the bottom edge of the image starts above lens center."

Well that's not too good of news. All that can be hoped for is that the PJ's built -in "Auto Tilt Correction" feature will perform correctly. Many Short Throw PJs have that feature and I have seen it do a decent...if not altogether perfect job. The angle of tilt needed will decide the level of compensation required, and the more needed...the mo' greater the variance between step-downs/ups.

Basically speaking....ya gotta try it out and see.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker_plz /forum/post/19551980

I already recommended taking a look at the user manual...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...anual_5362.pdf

On pdf page 23 (regular page 11) all the needed information is available.

Best regards!

Darker_plz

Thanks DPz, but it's always better to pro-offer the actual info...if at least in condensed version, if you know it out of hand or it's easily accessible to you when you decide to compose a Posted reply. Many Noobs find it difficult to navigate to/through such things and actually glean the correct info. For instance you could have told the OP the PJ at hand has "Auto Tilt Correction"(...a form of Auto Vertical Key-stoning...) and that would have brought a smile to all our faces.

You got the same courtesy with your first inquiries as well, because that's the way we like to do it to 'em. You just happen to be among the few who can and do decide to take it upon themselves to go further on your own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/19555584

Basically speaking....ya gotta try it out and see.

I'm going to keep it unopened for a few days. I'm leaning on SWMBO pretty hard to let me move up a step or two. (i'm using everything you say, so you might have to wait a month or two before you are welcome here
)

It looks like I could get an epson 8350 under a grand. would that be a better fit? with its lower lumen output, could i get away with a ~150" screen?

what would be the ideal projector for my layout, under $1300?

sorry for all the questions.

i really appreciate all the input.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNBigFish /forum/post/19556570

I'm going to keep it unopened for a few days. I'm leaning on SWMBO pretty hard to let me move up a step or two. (i'm using everything you say, so you might have to wait a month or two before you are welcome here
)

Quote:
It looks like I could get an epson 8350 under a grand. would that be a better fit? with its lower lumen output, could i get away with a ~150" screen?

(150"s?) Absolutely you could/can...and yes sir...(8350) it would be a better choice on several fronts. We can easily hook ya up with a Screen surface that will easily accommodate your needs, so no worries in that regard. And we/you can do it at a price you'll not have to take into much account. PM me for further details along those lines.

Quote:
sorry for all the questions.

i really appreciate all the input.

That's what using the Forum is all about. Wouldn't be worth much time if no one bothered replying....or first posting for that matter.

We all should always help each other realize the most for the effort / money expended.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts