AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys --

So earlier this week I posted in the flat panel forum discussing my move into HD/home theater. I'm really excited to start building my rig, but also really nervous to spend a lot of money on something where I'm gonna to regret my choice.

At first I had eliminated front projection as an option because I live in a rental and don't want to mount equipment. But I have an apartment that is kind of ideal for a pj in all other respects, and the thought of that cinema effect makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. So I wanted to ask the experts here about table-top installation, as well as a couple of questions about pq and brand choice.

First: as I said, my room seems to have high home theater potential. There's only one window, which is easily blocked for total darkness. From my screen wall to the back wall is about 15 feet. The screen wall is expansive and uninterrupted. It could host a 120" screen with room to spare.

Second: usage = bluray and DVD. I'm not a channel surfer, nor a gamer. The TV shows I do watch I watch on DVD. Mostly my needs are for movies, movies, and more movies.

So here are my questions:

1) Are there major disadvantages to table-top mounting that I should be aware of? What I'd like to do is just put an AV rack next to my couch and put the projector on top of it. It seems like so long as I get one with decent lens shift (Sanyo or Epson) that should be sufficient. Any reason this is a bad idea?

2) Sanyo Z700 or Epson 6100? Those look to be the best two in my budget. From what I've seen the Epson can be $500 more, but tends to get better reviews. Anyone know if its enough better to justify that price difference?

3) On an entry-level pj like either of those, realistically is the pq gonna satisfy? The alternative is a 50" plasma...am I gonna really get the most out of my blu-ray if I go this route?

Thanks so much for the help!!!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
1. I used mine this way for a week while waiting for my ceiling mount. I had no issues other than it seemed that every time I turned around, it was pointed in a new spot cause it wasn't bolted fast to something. Another disadvantage is that it eliminates the possibility of sitting at the center of the screen. It'll work just fine and off angle viewing is usually terrific.

2. wrong guy to ask here.

3. If either of these projectors surprises you half as much as mine did me, you'll be thrilled. Todays projectors are pretty amazing. I can remember seeing one in a home almost 15 years ago and have things ever changed. I think the question to ask is, will I get the most out of my bluray if I don't?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Panasonic projectors also have very good vertical and horizontal lens shift.

Would your landlord allow a simple back wall shelf or even a free standing shelf? Also, check out the projector stands as www.airdesks.com . They have a pretty spiffy free standing and adjustable PJ mount for under $150.00.

Our projector sits on a shelf and it works great. If you can't mount a simple shelf in your rental then I would look for a tall dresser - put the PJ on top - I would probably pull the drawers - put simple plywood where drawer bottoms used to be and put components in those spaces - might not be the prettiest thing but would work a lot better than a table mount - I think you want the brightness of the lens output above and behind you.

WOW Factor? Just my opinion but a 720p projector taking a HDMI output from a up-converting/scaling dvd player delivers plenty of the WOW of a Theater quality visual experience. No need to declare your standard dvd collection obsolete - we think out PJ/DVD images are perfect for us and we are in no hurry to pay for the "forklift" upgrade to BD.

You have to decide whether or not you want to settle for watching movies on a dinky little television or have a Theater in the Home movie experience. We bought a 56in. 1080p HD TV and it simply cannot deliver a Theater experience - great picture for television - NOT Theater.

Go for it! Go for it NOW! You will be simply amazed at the difference between TV and a Theater sized wall screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1) I agree with imjay's idea... having a 6-foot shelf unit at the back of the room for the projector (sitting up on top) works for me, and does display a great picture.

It is better I found (personal opinion) than from the coffee table or from a rack beside me. Beside me, I found the picture fine but the sound of the projector's fan was sometimes distracting. Even the AVR and DVD player will have some noise to them, that will all but disappear when the equipment is placed away from your sitting area.

My projector is at the back of the room (about 2 metres behind our sitting area), and the sound of the equipment there is rarely noticeable.

The projector never moves. It is not centred on the screen but its lens shift is tilted down at a slight angle, and everything is fine. Unless of course we stand up during viewing but hey, usually the Pause button is pressed before that happens, or the credits are rolling.

At IKEA, we found a shelf unit with doors and it has room for the AVR, DVD player, Xbox console, HDMI switch, and a bunch of DVD discs. The shelf unit closes nicely when we are not viewing movies, and it hides the clutter of wires behind it. That is also an advantage - with your rack beside you in the room, there will be wires on the floor leading to back or side wall for power outlets... wires that may be trampled upon or someone may trip... unless your seats are already at the back wall.

The advantage of a shelf unit is that it is sturdy enough for stability but light enough to move if necessary, and it can even be dismantled and boxed when you're moving to a new home. That is a big advantage for a projector vs. a TV as well!

2) The Epson 6100 or something from Panasonic would be good choices. I have the older 720p Panasonic so the AE-3000 1080p model from Panasonic would be high on my list. An extra purchase of a 1-yr extended warranty can equal the Panasonic to the Epson's 2-yr warranty but that would be an slight extra cost to consider as well, though not as expensive as you might think. The deals for either can also come with an extra bulb, which is worth it too.

For some websites that compare the projectors in which you are interested, go to projectorreviews.com and projectorcentral.com

There are a lot of resources available on the Internet today, what a great time to buy a projector!

3) Go and see a demo of a projector at a shop (bring a BR that you like) or go to a friend's place, and man, I have to say... you have to see it. I think that you will like it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.