AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around and see the Epson 9700 for around 3000, but wanted to know if anyone had anynother suggestions.

The projector will be about 16 feet from the screen (the wall can accommodate about a 130 inch screen). The room will be able to be 100% dark.

Also, any screen suggestions along with it?

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

-Jason

·
Registered
JVC RS3100 | Benq HT9050 | MADVR w/ RTX 3080| 130in 2.35:1 | 5.2.2
5,936 Posts
The 8700 is the same projector for $2000. The JVC HD250 and RS40, Benq W6000, Infocus 8602. Or wait until after Cedia to see what's new

For the screen, will the projector be ceiling mounted or shelf mounted?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I put the JVC HD250 on the projectorcentral projection calculator it seems to not be bright enough to light up a 130 inch screen, where it seems well within the Epsons capability. The Sony isn't listed in their tool, probably because it is new, but do you guys know if it could handle a 130 inch screen? In 3D too? What size screen would I be limited to if I went with the Sony. Also, Best Buy lists the projector at 4k. Is it cheaper elsewhere (not sure if price talks are allowed on these forums). Also, is the Sony just as good or better than the epson 9700 for 2d? 3d would just be a bonus feature, I don't want to sacrafice 2d performance for it.

I'm new to all this though, so I am just going by what happens with the same parameters on the same tool...

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
If you get a HP screen, most projectors should handle a 130 screen size

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20786556

When I put the JVC HD250 on the projectorcentral projection calculator it seems to not be bright enough to light up a 130 inch screen, where it seems well within the Epsons capability. The Sony isn't listed in their tool, probably because it is new, but do you guys know if it could handle a 130 inch screen? In 3D too? What size screen would I be limited to if I went with the Sony. Also, Best Buy lists the projector at 4k. Is it cheaper elsewhere (not sure if price talks are allowed on these forums). Also, is the Sony just as good or better than the epson 9700 for 2d? 3d would just be a bonus feature, I don't want to sacrafice 2d performance for it.

I'm new to all this though, so I am just going by what happens with the same parameters on the same tool...

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

The projector calculator is way off for the HD250. It has more lumens than what the calculator uses. Out of box use 700 lumens (normal lamp, mid zoom) and divide by screen area. It is good for a 110" screen. Some use it with a 120" screen, but if I was to go that big, I would want a little bit of gain on the screen. It all depends on what you value most, long lamp life or huge screen.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am wondering now what size screen I should put up on my wall, and what projector. Before I was thinking bigger is better, but now after reading more, you guys have me thinking... here is a layout of the room, to left is view from above with a + sign where the pre-wire for the projector is, top right is rotated side view showing how much the projector has to be recessed from the ceiling, and the bottom shows the same but looking towards the wall with the projector. Also is just a plain picture looking towards the wall that will have the screen.

So the wall that will have the screen is 156" across, but I want to shave off at least 3 feet to fit speakers beside the screen, so 120" across, which would give me a 130" diagonal 16:9 screen in there. Would you recommend going smaller on the screen? Also, I want to fit 2 rows of 4 seats in there (which just fit the shorter width and the viewing distance of the front row would be about 12 or 13').

I will be able to make this room pitch black if I want, the doors at the back of the room have cubby holes that I can easily cover.

Anyone that has seen the Epson 9700, JVC HD250, and the new Sony HW30? Is the Sony's 2D performance as good or better than the Epson and JVC?

Thanks guys! I want to try and make a decision soon on things, I just moved to Tulsa, OK with my wife and my father is coming down from Canada to visit me beginning of September and this will be kind of a father-son project.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The JVC HD250 does not do 3D. It is really a rebadged RS10. I have the RS20, and it is VERY good for 2D; great black levels/Native Contrast and great colors, etc. The equivallent to that now would be close to the JVC RS40 that CAN do 3D. Go to their thread and see all the pluses and minuses on that one. If I were you, and you want 3D, then wait until CEDIA happens next month (if you can be patient). Once CEDIA happens, the new line of projectors from many manufacturers should release by Nov., or around that time. The new 30 Sony looks interesting, and could be your lucky charm RIGHT NOW. CALL AVS at the top of the banner.....they have pricing well below MSRP, and they are great to work with. just my .02

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't HAVE to have 3D, I'd be satisfied with great 2D performance. But if the Sony has as good of 2D performance as the epson or JVC, I'd strongly consider paying a little extra for it. Any experience?

I think I'm heavily leaning towards the Sony now, but not sure what other considerations I'd have to make then for the screen size, gain, etc to be able to watch 3D decently. If I go with the Sony I'll definetly give AVS a call and see what they have to offer! Are warranties, etc the same through AVS as through other retailers? I didn't even know AVS had a store until the last couple days.

I was going to go and look at some projectors today, but the Best Buy near me only has a Sharp XV Z17000 and a Epson 8350 for viewing. But I'll probably go take a look anyways. The Sharp model has pretty good reviews from what I've seen, should I keep that as a contender as well?

Thanks!

-Jason

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I've owned a half a dozen of Sonys in the past....for the most part a good to great pic and reliable (except for my first one in '97). I'm not sure how bright the 30 will be in 'best mode' (meaning calibrated), but from my experience, most of the sony's were a little dim as far as lumens are concerned. My last sony was the VW50, AKA the Pearl. I very nice machine in it's day with SXRD as well. Very natural colors, 3d depth, and fairly good overall, EXEPT it was not bright enough. Some reviews on the 30 I think are already up on Cine4home but I could be wrong. Check out the threads on this +3,000 forum and there are atleast 2 of em. DO some research, and see what people are saying with hands-on experience. As far as your screen, i think it would be difficult to get enough brightness with 3D to do a 130" screen, but YMMV....good luck!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a chance to look at the Sharp XV Z17000 today at best buy, it looked pretty good, especially next to the Epson 8350 they had. They said they just got a shipment of the Sony HW30 today and would have one setup early next week for viewing. But I don't know how it compares to the Epson and JVC for 2D viewing...

So sounds like the Epson 8700/9700 and the JVC HD-250 are very comparable, but I haven't figured out from searching around how they compare to the new Sony HW30 as far as brightness goes, it sounds like if it is like the HW20, then the HW30 won't be bright enough? In a review it also made it sound like it couldn't be ceiling mounted because you had to keep it pretty much near the center of the screen? It was a google translation, so it might have gotten lost in the translation... this is the link to the review:
http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns

and this is the text from it:

Quote:
The image läst is something more than a half-height up or down, or quarter width to the right or left (respectively maximum). It is therefore not necessary to install the projector centered, too far away from its optical axis but he can not be mounted.

I'm hoping that is just a bad translation..

After talking with the guy at best buy, he recomends a 120" screen for my room and viewing distance (we kind of worked it out while I was there on what I was comfortible with on his 92" screen and translated that back to how close my front seats will be in my room), if that makes any difference to which PJ is better for my situation..

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
the 30 CAN be mounted....I've never seen a home theater projector (on the lower-end consumer market) that couldn't be ceiling mounted....Yeah, I would wait 'till BB gets the Sony in...look at that one and play around with it. It sounds like you want a bright pic, so you will have to have any of these projectors in 'high lamp' mode (which was probably done at BB).

Daniel is right; the epsons and the jvc's are very close in calibrated brightness...I've owned an Epson 1080UB PRO and now I have a JVC RS20. However, with the contrast increase of the JVC, it 'appears' to look a little brighter (and darker too

·
Registered
5,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/0

I got a chance to look at the Sharp XV Z17000 today at best buy, it looked pretty good, especially next to the Epson 8350 they had. They said they just got a shipment of the Sony HW30 today and would have one setup early next week for viewing. But I don't know how it compares to the Epson and JVC for 2D viewing...

So sounds like the Epson 8700/9700 and the JVC HD-250 are very comparable, but I haven't figured out from searching around how they compare to the new Sony HW30 as far as brightness goes, it sounds like if it is like the HW20, then the HW30 won't be bright enough? In a review it also made it sound like it couldn't be ceiling mounted because you had to keep it pretty much near the center of the screen? It was a google translation, so it might have gotten lost in the translation... this is the link to the review:
http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns

and this is the text from it:

I'm hoping that is just a bad translation..

After talking with the guy at best buy, he recomends a 120" screen for my room and viewing distance (we kind of worked it out while I was there on what I was comfortible with on his 92" screen and translated that back to how close my front seats will be in my room), if that makes any difference to which PJ is better for my situation..

The Epson 8700/9700 and JVC HD250 may be comparable in lumen output but not in picture quality. JVC will be superior in 2D

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like you guys have made my decision a little easier between the Epson and JVC. But what about the Sharp XV Z17000? You can get it for around 3200 as well, and it has 3D. Haven't been able to find any reviews that compare its Picture Quality to the Epson or JVC... anyone seen any combination of:

Sony HW30 | Sharp XV Z17000 | JVC HD250 | Epson 9700

·
Banned
174 Posts
Make sure you demo a DLP projector before getting the Sharp XV Z17000, some people see rainbows and get headaches. Otherwise they are a nice option because you get a razor sharp image. Seems like they often give a punchier image, if you are into that. I can't say enough good things about the JVC RS40 (which I own), the image is simply stunning. You could pair it with an HP screen, or take a look at the Black Diamond screens which will do wonders for your tan walls.

As far as screen size goes, bigger is better. Unless you do something for light treatment on the side walls and ceiling, you will not get the benefits that a JVC or Epson have to offer with their excellent black levels.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually saw the sharp at best buy for a while and didnt notice any rainbows, but didn't know what to look for so I'll have to find examples of it and look for it...

Actually after reading more about wall an carpet color, I'm most likely going to paint the room black and get a dark carpet. You didn't mention te carpet, just ceiling and walls, is carpet not as important?

I'll have to look at the RS40 as well and see if it's in my price range.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
If you are going to pay $3200 for the Sharp, I would go for the RS40, you can probably get it at the same price

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.