AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello Everyone, New Member here.  I am getting the PS4 and I am wanting to take a step up from my plasma 42" TV.  I have searched and searched about projectors for gaming.  I know most what y'all would recommend.  However  My price range is limited.  Not too bad but not the greatest either.  I have $650.00 max.  I will use this for PS4 gaming, family movies, and regular tv watching.  I currently am eyeing the Epson Home Cinema 725HD.  Everything seems solid on this projector.  Only downside for me with this is no audio output so I will have to buy this converter thing to get my audio without having to go out and buy a whole new surround sound setup.  Mine is a tad outdated.  What do yall think.  I just want the best for my money.  I think it would kick ass to get a projector and upgraded surround sound, however I know the money just isn't there.  I really want to order this stuff No later than Monday to ensure everything is in when that sweet PS4 arrives.  Thanks everyone in advance for any and all input/advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm aware of that, unfortunately. That's why I mentioned having to buy the converter thing. Don't know the name of it but it simply has a place to plug HDMI in and HDMI out. Right next to the HDMI out is an rca audio out. That would allow me to hookup sound.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitJPW  /t/1497542/projector-advice-with-650-00-budget-please-help#post_23901238

I'm aware of that, unfortunately. That's why I mentioned having to buy the converter thing. Don't know the name of it but it simply has a place to plug HDMI in and HDMI out. Right next to the HDMI out is an rca audio out. That would allow me to hookup sound.

It was a question in the form of a statement.

Also a quick google shows it does have an optical output FYI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I have this old receiver and I guess you would say the only hookups are analog. Only rca like jacks so I'm still screwed unfortunately. Unless I could find out if there is a projector out there worth getting for like $400 or so then I could step up the surround sound too. But I am afraid I'll be lucky to find a solid projector for 600.00. Do you own a projector or recommend any in this price range? Man I thought this would be any easier purchase than its turning out to be lol. This is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
158 Posts

First let me understand everything correctly.

Budget:

$650

Current System:

Video: via HDMI on a 42" Screen

Audio: Analog, Optical, and no HMDI inputs/outputs

Wanted:

Best bang for the buck overall improvement

Options:

#1: PJ @ $650, and RCA output via converter for audio

#2: Audio + PJ @ $650 full HDMI all around.

You best bet is likely go with the first option. Save another $200 or so and then upgrade the audio. When do upgrades, in order to avoid need a future upgrade quickly, you should usually budget first 1 item at a time when working with a less than average budget for your project and plan it over time except where the difference in stepping up in quality is the full cost of a different component upgrade.

Ex: V$ = $300, A$ = $100 = $400 current value(these numbers are the appox street value of your current components or at least what you consider parting with them for).

Options:

V$ = $650 + A$ = $0 = $350 value upgrade

V$ = $400 + A$ = $250 = $250 upgrade value = $-100 value if you buy the $400 projector now.

For you situation it would seem, due to listed budget, you best option is to find the best refurb projector you can for your money. If you want a further recommendation, you need to think about a couple of questions.

1. Is 3D a priority?

If so, your likely looking at 720P as your best bet to find quality options.

2. Is 1080P a priority or is 720P good enough?

If the higher resolution is more a priority to you, I say forget 3D and think of it as a bonus if you find a 1080p refurb in your range that has 3D support.

3. Both?

I'd recommend saving up another about $200 and getting a refurb of one of the sub-$1000 BenQ or Optoma models.

P.S. You also don't mention if the $650 includes the screen or just the PJ.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Code:
Code:
[CODE]OK, here goes. Amazon is selling the optoma hd25 right now through their warehouse deals. It's 1080p and 3d. The used - very good items are for $595 and the "like new" is $608!!
[/CODE]

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
You can get a reciever with optical in for 30 bucks on Craigslist. Why not spend that 30 and then 500 on a little led.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yea, you can get an older used receiver for next to nothing. I've got a ~3 yr old Pioneer 5.1 receiver sitting in a closet collecting dust because I bought a newer 7.1 receiver.

The other part of a projector is you'll need a screen.

Honestly, if it were me and I was getting a bulb projector I'd step the budget up a bit and get something 1080P. Or you could buy something 720P and LED and not worry about bulbs but have lower brightness (i.e. no watching in really non-light controlled conditions, maybe 1 40W bulb in the room max). Something like an LG PA70G/PA75U

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13  /t/1497542/projector-advice-with-650-00-budget-please-help#post_23907681

Yea, you can get an older used receiver for next to nothing. I've got a ~3 yr old Pioneer 5.1 receiver sitting in a closet collecting dust because I bought a newer 7.1 receiver.

The other part of a projector is you'll need a screen.

Honestly, if it were me and I was getting a bulb projector I'd step the budget up a bit and get something 1080P. Or you could buy something 720P and LED and not worry about bulbs but have lower brightness (i.e. no watching in really non-light controlled conditions, maybe 1 40W bulb in the room max). Something like an LG PA70G/PA75U
but you can use a white wall or go to joann fabrics and pickup some blackout cloth and with some wood trim , black spray paint and wood strips you can build a great screen for about $30 custom sized to whatever your room and taste allows...

Keep in mind, LED systems have thier faults too.... I have a an led samsung 1080p dlp rptv sitting behind me as we speak waiting for a new led driver board... plus they are not as bright .

I too have an extra 5.1 system in the closet..... I recently bought a sony 7.1 system on amazon refurbished for 180 bucks including shipping and I'm very happy with it. it works great with 3d as well and no more separate switch boxes for video.

I have the hd131xe now which I bought new but they run about 750bucks.... I have had great luck with refurb units in the past like the hd65's I bought for $600 refurbed on ebay, bought three (two were for friends and I set them up) no complaints..... craiglist is also a great place to find deals. Just research the stuff before buying.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Most walls are textured, which if you're just shooting right onto it, might as well get a 480P projector because the image gets a noticeable "blur" due to the texture.

Not saying a DIY screen is that expensive, but $30 all said and done for a "nice" screen is probably a bit of a stretch. All the designs I came up with were in the $65-150 range. So it can definitely take a big chunk out of a $600ish budget.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Appreciate the help everyone.  I am thinking for now I am going to try the Epson 725 with the audio adapter I will need.  I will be posting back to let others now how it works for those interested.  I will have just enough time to return the projector if I must if this one fails to do what I need it for.  I think I would be a little worried trying a "Refurb" but since so many mentioned it I just might try that if this 1st shot fails.  Thanks again everyone for the input.

Side Note - I will be starting out with shooting the picture on a wall(textured).  I may hang up a sheet, we will do a little trial/error. In the long run I hope to DIY a screen or just buy a pull down once I have actual size and everything figured for our living room.

Again, Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts