AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the bump, but nobody has any advice? Maybe some ideas for search on prior suggestions for newbies? etc.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
LP340 is SVGA and LP350 is XGA with about $1000 price difference. I'd admire you if you can find LP340 for below $2000 new and LP350 for below $3000 new. For $1500 you'd have to look at used, refurbs, or cheaper models. I would not buy used unless it's a great deal like a thumperized, hushboxed Davis DL450 with new 6000 hr bulb for $1900 by Tim Price (I think, but not sure), a member at AVS. Used projector often have old bulbs which will soon need replacements costing $300-$1500 (depending on model). Service out of warranty is very expensive on these (hundreds of dollars). Warranty on a used item may not be transferable or will be a major hassle (have to go through original buyer). If you do buy used, I would buy from a reputable dealer like AVS and not through ebay--too risky IMO. If you want new, LP425z is a SVGA DLP with 900 lumens, 1000 hour bulb which may qualify for $1500 new; however, it's noisier than LP340/350 and won't be as colorful (there is a review floating around, use google search). The LP series have good video processor so SVideo will look decent but VGA will still be best. Neither of these will support progressive component (480p) from a set top progressive DVD player. HTPC or Svideo are the best options with the LP series. You should consider the LT85 which runs around $1600-$1700. It's the same as the LT150 in quality except for SVGA which means you can't sit too close or screen door may bother you (< 10 feet from screen). The LT series will support 480p for progressive desktop DVD provided you buy a VGA breakout cable ($30-$200 depending on quality and length). The LT150 is currently at $2350 so you may want to wait as prices are falling or spend more to get it now. Most people praise the LT150 so I feel it's a good buy (even with the DLP limitations: rainbows, dithering, feathering, color wheel noise, etc.) Proxima DS2 is around $1700 and is SVGA DLP with decent progressive imaging but its processor sucks so Svideo won't be as nice. You should use www.projectorcentral.com for specs, prices, and reviews. Price search engines like www.cnet.com , www.pricewatch.com , www.pricescan.com , www.mysimon.com , www.streetprices.com , www.pricegrabber.com for prices. Once you got a good price you can negotiate with reputable dealers like AVS (our host) or www.projectorpeople.com for a deal which may not be the best prices but it'll be good with good service and support. LCD is another class of projector which you've ruled out so we won't talk about it.

------------------

Huey ;-]

[This message has been edited by Huey (edited 08-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Huey (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Was hoping to get in on Tims deal but missed it by a few hours. Hadn't cosidered the lt85 but will give it a look. Would love the lt150 but wife says $1500 for now, so slightly used seems to be the only chioce for now. Has anyone been shafted with a used projector? I'd been looking @ Projectorcentrals used deals. thought they'd be better than E-bay.

Also hdtv is not important, a plus but not required. It won't be available for yrs here in Cental Washington.

Jayson

[This message has been edited by Jamz (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a newbie here and would like some help. I've been wanting a front projector for several yrs now and have finally got wife's approval! Looking to buy a used DLP(I think)will replace 5yr old Mits. 50" RPTV. Have done several days worth of reading on this forum and comparsion @ ProjectorCentral.

For now I'll be using S-vidio connection for DVD and Sat tv. This will be for casual viewing with some ambient light but for serius viewing the room light can be controlled to near blackout. The pj's that I'm concidering( of coarse I'm open to any suggestions @the $1500 mark)

Infocus LP340/350 (how is the bulb issue read alot about this but didn't see anything current?)

Viewsonic PJL830/Davis DL450

I've found both @ my price point. Please keep in mind that I will be putting together HTPC but not until X-mas or so.

The room is 17'w buy 25' long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.