AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a couple of ideas similar to video walls already done.

I have an ancient Sharp XV-H30U. It's got a whopping 112k pixels, isn't very bright and has a big screen door effect. I've seen them go on eBay for about $300.

I've seen people make video walls from direct-view CRT's. I've also read that it's easy to double a projectors output (and contrast ratio?) by using TWO projectors to show the same image.

Now I understand it should be pretty straightforward (but not necessarily easy) to get four projectors together, use four video cards and screen splitting software, align the images and make a video wall. However, the screen-door issue would still be there as the coverage of pixel per unit area would be the same as with one projector.

Has anyone instead tried to set up "n" projectors slightly offset from each other in order to fill in the pixel gaps? The big problem I see is getting a video card to output every nth scan line and pixel... but it should be possible if a video driver were written to draw that way.

Oh what a nightmare that could be.

Any hackers out there want to take the challenge?

Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't think it's worth it.

If you allready own an XV-H30 and need to buy three more, and can get them for the price you said on Ebay that's $900.00, four decent video cards, at about $150 each let's say is $600. You still need software that can do the job, balance all four projectors to look alike, align them within a pixel of each other and try to minimize the keystoning because the four projectors can't be in the exact same spot. Or you could just spend a few hundered more and buy a new 16X9 projector.

Also what happens the day you need to buy a replacement bulb (X4), that can't be cheap...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Plus, 4 4:3 projectors in a 2 by 2 array just gives you a larger or higher resolution 4:3 display (unless you were thinking of a whoping 16:3 widescreen format :) ).

Maybe an interesting intellectual exercise, but I put it right up there with that $200 13" TV set plus fresnel lens system someone pointed out a while back. What's the point?

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.