AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a projector instead of a new 36-inch TV. I'm looking at the LT150 or LT154 but that is not definite. The big draw back to me is bulb life. I assume that if I use a projector with a 1000hrs bulb life to watch cable, DVD's, surf the net on a HTPC and play games on the XBox I will need a new bulb every 2 months or so. If this is the case in a year I will spend almost as much on bulbs as I did the projector. I know very little about projectors other than what I've read in the past couple of weeks and until I played TFC online with an 80-inch screen I never would of considered a projector. It seems like the more I read the more negative things that come up. Am I correct in thinking that a projector is really only good for casual viewing and not a replacement for your main TV due to the cost of replacement bulbs or am I missing something? Thanks.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It entirely depends on how much tv and xbox playing you do.

To run your lamp down in two months, you'd have to watch and play every day for about 17 hours.

With the Dell deal, I purchased a spare lamp for $270. So that means every hour of xbox playing and tv watching you are going to do would cost you 27 cents.

If that is too expensive for your tastes then I definitely recommend a secondary viewing device.

--Les

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I use my projector as a main / only TV and have put about 2500 hours in a little over a year on my bulb...

I have a Davis so that's a $414 bulb for 6000 hours, seems entirely reasonable to me but then again I am still considering DILA or 3 chip DLP at -+ 1000 / 1000 (or a little under) but then I would be more careful than just leaving it on for background...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Just one note. Don't forget that you need to darken the room for FPTV- not always desireable when watching TV.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have a Viewsonic PLJ 830 which is a Davis DL450 clone...

The original bulb spec said 2000 hours then the replacement bulbs were briefly listed as 4000 hour and now they are rated as 6000 hour... Strange thing is its the same bulb part number and is in fact the same bulb !!!

Apparently as they used the bulb over time they found that it far exceeded their 2000 hour spec and raised the rating repeatedly... Of course I find this out a week after ordering a new bulb getting near the 2000 hour line :D !!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My TV does get roughly that much use. My wife and I work shift work and we are usually opposite of each other so the TV gets a lot of use.

In econo-mode what is the down side? I guess it gives you a darker picture but could someone please confirm this. Thanks.

·
Registered
915 Posts
You have to be SERIOUS about your TV watching to be willing to do it all in a darkened room. I never use the projector for anything but movies, because my family's TV watching usually happens in some multi-tasking mode i.e reading a magazine while watching the news, or sitting with my daughter while she watches Barney and I read a novel or work on a laptop computer.

In fact, I haven't even bothered to hook the projector up to my cable output, even though I have an S-video output on the cable box that I could feed right into the projector.

Once TV goes HDTV, that might change. But we can't get any HDTV content in Edmonton, so I don't even want to watch shows like "Band of Brothers". I'd rather wait for the miniseries to come out on DVD so I can see it in better quality.

My suggestion would be to get a front projector, and a cheaper TV for casual viewing. Once you have the projector for the serious watching, you don't really need a 36" WEGA anymore - you can make do with a 27" decent-quality Toshiba flat screen or something like that, for $500-$800.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
This comparison is the most amazing thing about digital FP. You can buy an entire TV of decent quality for what a replacement lamp costs.

Sorry, I just had to point up the absurdity of it all.

Looked at as 10 cents or 50 cents an hour to watch your projector, it doesn't sound so bad. But comparing lamp cost to what else $400-$700 would buy can ruin your whole day.

I have a D-ILA, with arguably the most expensive replacement lamp. I cringe every time I find I've been putting hours on it watching regular TV that would have been just as satisfying on my 12 year old 27" bedroom TV.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hey,

How about a coin slot box next to your projector .... Deposit 50 cents for every hour of projector use. Vend-a-projector. (Okay, maybe a just piggy bank and some discipline will have to do...)

In no time, by the time you need to replace the bulb, you already have all the money you need! ;)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Unless you recieve HDTV broadcasts, I would stick to a good RPTV for normal TV viewing. Even with an HTPC, I like the image from an NTSC signal better on a RPTV. Now for movies on DVD with a 5.1 DD soundtrack, the projector is the only way to go.

·
Registered
728 Posts
ask the 10 people I had over on Monday night for the Eagles/Giants game. They all want a PJ now.

Football on the PJ (Sanyo XW10), Yanks/Mariners on the 27" TV right next to screen, 94.1 WYSP "Home of the Eagles" on the radio (Dennis Miller ain't too bad but the other two, phfff)

Football is great - will be even greater with a DVDO or Quadscan, but for now I can live with it just fine.... I get a decent cable signal - a few (2 or 3) of the channels are slightly noisy, but most (including my favs - Discovery, Speedvision, ESPN, FOX, Comedy Central, VH1, NJN, History Channel, Animal Planet) come in beatifully.

I've put 40 hrs on my pj in a little over 3 weeks = ~700 hrs/yr, on pace to replace bulb every 2 years or so.

At night 800 lums is not an issue - for day games a couple shaded windows does the trick - doesn't bother me, may for you so consider a birghter PJ (I would have, but wanted to keep the cost around $2000.)

Kurt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.