AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My family just moved into a new house with a theater room upstairs and I am very excited to research and build the system that will be used there. The room is 12'x15' with 8' ceilings so it is rather small but we want to maximize the space for the biggest screen possible. On the wall where the screen would be mounted, there is an available 105" (horizontal) which turns out to be a 118"/119" (diagonal) 16:9 screen. Is this screen too large for the room? The first row of seats would be around 8' back from the screen so would that size of screen even work there?

My dilemma is which projector to buy for this system that I'm putting together! I've seen a Sony VPL-VW60 in person and I was VERY impressed with the sharpness but the only other Epson I have seen is the 1080UB. I've browsed around looking for reviews and come up with limited info on the Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 7500UB. I just wanted to know which one would provide me with the best experience.

Thanks,

Tyler Robb

P.S. Do the JVC DLA-HD1, Panasonic PT-AE3000U, or Mitsubishi HC7000 give these two other projectors a run for their money?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Tyler,

The VW60 has essentially been discontinued, although you may still find a few in the channel. The Sony HW10 is a very similar model, although less expensive. They have similar contrast, although from reviews the HW10 *may* have slight improvements to the panel, whereas the VW60 had image director software for calibration and power zoom.

The Epson 7500 is the custom installer model, I would also look at the similar (identical?) performing 6500 model that can be sold direct (and by forum sponsors AVS.)

While contrast performance should be very similar, the Sonys have an edge in two areas (imho) - a sealed optical path keeps dust blobs out on the Sony. It also has the ability to digitally align the panels, so you wont ever have more than 1 pixel misalignment.

The Epson has a 120hz mode with frame interpolation, which the Sony does not. This is useful for sports, personally I do not like it for movies, although it can of course be turned off. Both can do 4:4 pulldown for movies, which reduces stutter compared to 'regular' 60hz displays without this feature. Finally the Epson has some brighter modes, although the Sony is slightly more bright in 'best' mode. The 6500 model should be less expensive than the sony.

The Panasonic is an option, although I think the Epson will have a slight edge, if price is not considered. The Mitsubishi is more expensive (by a lot) and has a great overall picture (mainly colors / gamma) but I would personally pick one of the Sonys in this price range for my needs / preferences (you should consider your priorities).

Whichever pj you pick, I recommend painting your dedicated room a dark color to really get the most out of your projectors. It doesn't have to be black, but a dark wine color or something along those lines will really improve intra-scene contrast compared to light colored walls and ceiling. Your screen size is reasonable for these projectors - you can always get a screen with > 1 gain if you prefer a very bright picture or need to watch with some ambient light.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Have both vw60 and Panasonic AE3000. VW60 requires a lot of tweaking to get the performance. AE3000 looks great out of the box. VW60 appeared to be slightly sharper but it does not accept 1080p over component and VGA, and it also has HDMI 1.2.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also own both. IMO the Panasonic has the lens memory feature for my 2:35:1 screen I use in the basement(very nice feature for those with a scope screen) The Sony IMO displays a slightly better overall image but they are close.Both have hdmi 1.3. Ron

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think 120" is to much for a screen with no gain.

In the price range you have the fantastic Infocus IN83...very bright and fill easy up to 150" screens.

The new LCDs And of course have the pop in picture that only DLP projectors have...IMO.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
For the distance you are sitting away, I think a 119" might be too big. If you can visit a home theater somewhere try sitting that close. If you have to move your head during the movie it will take away from the experience. Although, some people like sitting in the first couple of rows in a theater.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobb09 /forum/post/15492492

Hi everyone! My family just moved into a new house with a theater room upstairs and I am very excited to research and build the system that will be used there. The room is 12'x15' with 8' ceilings so it is rather small but we want to maximize the space for the biggest screen possible. On the wall where the screen would be mounted, there is an available 105" (horizontal) which turns out to be a 118"/119" (diagonal) 16:9 screen. Is this screen too large for the room? The first row of seats would be around 8' back from the screen so would that size of screen even work there?

My dilemma is which projector to buy for this system that I'm putting together! I've seen a Sony VPL-VW60 in person and I was VERY impressed with the sharpness but the only other Epson I have seen is the 1080UB. I've browsed around looking for reviews and come up with limited info on the Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 7500UB. I just wanted to know which one would provide me with the best experience.

Thanks,

Tyler Robb

P.S. Do the JVC DLA-HD1, Panasonic PT-AE3000U, or Mitsubishi HC7000 give these two other projectors a run for their money?

What are you doing for front speaker placement? Are you looking at placing speakers behind the screen? If so then you are talking about using a screen without gain and projector choice needs to take that into account. if speakers are going beside the screen then you need to look at space available and what it will do to the sound. If you use 105" of your 12' front wall, that will only leave you with 19-1/2" on each side for the speakers. That is not taking into account the frame/border for the screen. Not good placing speakers that close to the side wall. if placed that close you will need sound absorption and that will take up a little bit of space also.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
The frequently used "rule-of-thumb" for the appropriate screen size for viewing HD is the seating distance should be 1.5 times the screen width. Given your very short 8 ft. seating distance you should considered a much smaller screen. Perhaps something around 80 to 90 inch diagonal should be maximum you are looking at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/15495587

The frequently used "rule-of-thumb" for the appropriate screen size for viewing HD is the seating distance should be 1.5 times the screen width. Given your very short 8 ft. seating distance you should considered a much smaller screen. Perhaps something around 80 to 90 inch diagonal should be maximum you are looking at.

Thanks for the help! Now at least I have a size of screen to go by..

I've become more and more interested in the Epson 7500UB's features over the 6500UB after reading this in a ProjectorReviews.com article:
Quote:
The 7500UB has internal anamorphic lens support, it has a black casing, instead of the 6500UB's white case. The 7500UB also is ISF Certified (the addition of ISF Day and ISF Night memory modes, and different names for some of the preset modes). Finally, the Pro version comes with a three year warranty instead of two.

And I'm also leaning towards the Epson projectors after reading about Deep Color on that same article:
Quote:
Then there are some Sony projectors just being phased out, that support 1.3, but not all of it (the VW40 and VW60 do not support Deep Color. Deep Color uses a larger color palette for smoother, more accurate shading, most noticeale in closeups of skin tones. The Epson Home Cinema 6500UB supports the full gamut of 1.3b features. Now we just need some Deep Color content to start showing up on Blu-ray disc, so the Epson can take advantage of it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
"Quote:

The 7500UB has internal anamorphic lens support, it has a black casing, instead of the 6500UB's white case. The 7500UB also is ISF Certified (the addition of ISF Day and ISF Night memory modes, and different names for some of the preset modes). Finally, the Pro version comes with a three year warranty instead of two. "

Someone mentioned in another thread that the "anamorphic lens" was about as expensive as the projector itself and that it's not ISF certified but able to be certified due to it having some extra settings but you'd have to have someone come in and do the certification. So they seem to be implying your paying whatever more for the black casing the extra 1-2 years in warranty and the extra bulb. Just repeating what someone posted ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good points and I appreciate you mentioning those. I budgeted to have an ISF tech come calibrate my gear so that was feature was of advantage to me and the anamorphic lens could be a possible upgrade in a few years if I feel so inclined later on...

Thanks again for all the advice!

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobb09 /forum/post/15502248

Good points and I appreciate you mentioning those. I budgeted to have an ISF tech come calibrate my gear so that was feature was of advantage to me and the anamorphic lens could be a possible upgrade in a few years if I feel so inclined later on...

Thanks again for all the advice!

trobb09-

I am a couple weeks ahead of you in this process. I debated between the VW60, Eps7500 and Panny 3000. I am going with the 7500 for a couple of reasons. It has the lumens to watch sports/HDTV in ambient light. The creative interpolation is enjoyable for sports mainly, however it looks very cool on the disney pixar blurays...not sure I would watch it alot in that mode though. The picture on it was excellent and you can customize/save different settings for different types of viewing; movies, sports-day, sports-night, etc.

I also liked that I could have an ISF certified tech come in and professionally calibrate.

I saw the VW60 and Panny 3000. All I can say is my eyes preferred the Epson, but I would have been very happy with any of them. The sony would be a great choice if you are only going to watch when the room is dark or very little ambient light.

As far as seating distance/screen size. I am going with a 92" screen. I have a 90" ceiling/173" screen wall and the room is 252". I went to a couple different AV stores to see the size of screen and distance they had seats. I realized I like to be emersed, but not overwhelmed. My first row will be about 9.3ft(eyes) and my 2nd will be about 13.3ft. I sat in a room with a 120' screen about 10 feet away and it was ok, but a little too much eye strain for me.

Whatever you do...Good luck. I hope to have my room set up by the super bowl.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The 7500 should be sold only by local dealers who would tend to be ISF calibrators and bundle that in to their sale... not that all dealers have an ISF certified tech available, but that was the idea behind this feature being exclusive to the 7500. For the extra $ you pay for the 7500, they should throw in the ISF calibration (IMHO - and you can tell them I said so
).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've found the 7500UB online for a very competitive price and although it's meant to be sold from a dealership, I am hiring an ISF tech to come out like I said earlier. I would normally be buying all my hardware from a home theater store but their installation fees and prices (usually MAPs) are much higher than if I bought the gear myself. I can pay my friends who have installed home theaters and know about throw distances, wiring, etc. that would do it for much less... Maybe my risk for error is higher but it's worth it for the 5-7 thousand dollars I would be saving!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The 7500UB is not meant to be sold online from what I understand. Have you verified that it is being sold by an authorized dealer? Be sure you don't get an unauthorized, damaged, gray market or stripped model (minus the bulb or extra bundled items, etc.)

·
Banned
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobb09 /forum/post/15492492

Thanks,

Tyler Robb

Hi,

Congrats for you r new home. I am also excited as you r now coz some time ago when i bought new house, same situation was with me. So u had shortlisted few projecters. I had done vast research on this and i found Epson - ENSBLHD1080 best one. It has integrated surround sound speaker cradle. 100-inch, electric screen with integrated LCR speakers. Custom-designed Atlantic Technology 5.1 surround sound system and 10-inch subwoofer with all channels of amplification. Audio/video controller with dual HDMI inputs and 1080p up-conversion with built-in progressive-scan DVD player. Pre-programmed LCD remote controller. All mounting brackets, cables and wire management tracks.

Sony VPL-VW60 is also good but u need some tweaks to do. So u must go for Epson.

You can buy online with very competitive rate. Just visit follwoing website:-
http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...LHD1080/1.html

I had bought no. of items from this site, nd they have very good price than others and deliver on time.SO have fun and best of luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts