Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Am i glad i found this forum!

I have a question regarding cable length for a digital projector.

I was planning on getting a Benq 6200 and having it ceiling mounted. The problem though is that i need about a 30ft cable run between the projector and the computer it will be running on.

I am told that 30ft is way too long for the vga connection? What cable would i need to use to accomplish this then?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I would be breaking the rules if I mention where I bought it, but I have a high quality 25' cable that goes from my DVD player to my LT150, and it has done a great job. It is component at one end and VGA at the other, or I would offer it to you as I am upgrading and will no longer need it.

I am not sure how much difference 5 more feet would make, but I think that the key is to buy as high quality of a cable as you can. If you get a high quality cable, I expect that you will be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that i need a full 30ft.... 25ft will be a few feet shy unless i want to have a clothesline running from the ceiling and across the room to the computer, lol.

The projector will be running exclusively from the computer and not from dvd or other sources..... and i would like to keep my monitor resolution at 1024x768 if possible.

Also, i really want to use the DVI output on the video card for my DVI capable LCD monitor. That leaves either the VGA or S-Video outputs for use on the projector..........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah, just to update i found what i need..... i can get plenum SVGA high quality cables in 30ft or 50ft lengths which are made for my exact situation. They aren't cheap, but they will do the trick perfectly.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I was using a 25' SVGA extension cable plugged into a 6' SVGA cable (31' total) with no problems. I'm now using (my new PJ) the 25' extension to a 6' SVGA to RGBHV adapter cable, again with no problems. Those are SVGA cables (using the HD15 connectors, VGA cables use the 9 pin connectors).

The key is to get a good quality cable (not necessarily expensive). I spent less than $20 for the 25' double shielded (UL 2919 rated) SVGA extension cable, at my local computer store. They didn't have a 30’ cable, only 50', which is why I bought the 25' extension (M/F) and a 6' standard (M/M) cables.

The S-Video signal is terrible compared to the SVGA signal, stay away from it if you can.

You do need the plenum cable if you are going to go through walls, it's required for fire safety. I'm glad you found what you needed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe
I was using a 25' SVGA extension cable plugged into a 6' SVGA cable (31' total) with no problems. I'm now using (my new PJ) the 25' extension to a 6' SVGA to RGBHV adapter cable, again with no problems. Those are SVGA cables (using the HD15 connectors, VGA cables use the 9 pin connectors).

The key is to get a good quality cable (not necessarily expensive). I spent less than $20 for the 25' double shielded (UL 2919 rated) SVGA extension cable, at my local computer store. They didn't have a 30’ cable, only 50', which is why I bought the 25' extension (M/F) and a 6' standard (M/M) cables.
Well that is really surprising. So you are saying that you did not see any difference in quality between the $20 31' connection and a very short cable?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am running into this same problem, but not for SVGA cables, but for component, S-video and HDMI cables. I am going to need 30' plus plenum cables. I was about to ask where people get their cables, but I read in another post that talking about vendors may be against the "rules" for these boards... funny. just as I typed this ... I noticed the AVS Forum Alliance members... and there is a vendor in that alliance that sells cables. I will check them out!... I kind of prepared myself to the fact that I will be paying a lot for my cables and have just accepted that fact. Just like death and taxes..

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'm running a 50' component cable and compaired it to a 10' cable. No difference. If you can see a difference, you need to relax and enjoy the movie :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
50' component cable and it looks great. Heck it even looked good when I had 6 25' RCA cables running spliced together with adaptors to make a ******* 50' component cable. no ringing or artifacts or any of the things people always attribute to cables.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
htpcfan -- I didn't say that. I said that the signal is very good with the 31' SVGA cables that I have. On good quality TV programs (D* feeds), I had very good PQ. The PQ was comparable (in rare cases better) to DVDs from my RP91 over component cables that cost almost 3 times as much. Since my STB is about 18' from my PJ (straight line), I can't try anything shorter.

I was not expecting that result, and was prepared to buy more expensive cables, but the local shop had them and I figured at that price it was worth a try. I could always take them back if they didn't work.

The picture, using 12' DVD to HDMI cable from my PC was better, as expected.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well generally to find out if a long cable XYZ is any good is to compare it with a very short cable. As soon as the difference becomes noticable you can do two things, leave it alone or buy a better quality cable. :)

In the case someone invests a considerable amount of money buying a display device why cut corners on the cable?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
If a $30 cable works as well as a $150 cable, why spend the money. Being an Electrical Engineer, I know what to look for (my advantage).

·
Registered
22 Posts
From my own research, and I'm sure our thread Engineer will agree, that the most accurate statement you can make with respect to cable performance is that a properly constructed cable will perform better than a badly constructed cable. So expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. If you can verify that a particular cable is well constructed (aye, there's the rub!) then your good to go regardless of cost. If you can scientifically demonstrate a performance gain, there isnt one.

Case in point: Im running 50' of component video from my switch to a PJ mounted on the back wall. Looks great and didnt cost more than 70CDN. Compare that to the 300-500 price range custom order that most of the local A/V shops SWORE I needed. They didnt react too well to my asking to quanitfy statements like "...its 20% to 30% better" or other subjective non-sensensical statements. Its all up-marketing to some degree.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.