AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My Theatre Room project starts within the next few weeks. In the past i've always just used flat conduit but this time it needs to be super neat as this is a near new house and the wife would kill me if it isnt perfect!!

I was wanting to use HDMI wall plates at both ends and then a short HDMI from the projector to the wall plate. The cable length will be approx 10 meters or so, will this be a problem and how do you actually connect the HDMI cable at the rear of the wall plate?

My other thought was to use Cat 5 cables to transport the signal to the projector and then one of those convertors to put it back to HDMI. Are these used commonly and what are the negatives involved?

My room size is 4.2m x 3.9m

Any help and installation guides/webpages you can suggest would be a great help!! This will be my first time running cable down wall cavities & ceilings etc....

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've ran a 35 foot HDMI in my theater, which is a little over 10 meters. From what I understand, the trick is a good quality (in-wall rated) HDMI cable designed for distance. I've purchased a Belden Series-1 HDMI from Bluejeanscable.com . Now, I'm still in construction phase, so I haven't tested it... but it is one thick fella, and I have no doubts it can pump out the 1080p no prob.

I've purchased HDMI wallplates from monoprice.com . They have a 4" female "tail" that your in-wall HDMI cable plugs into. Again, I haven't tested them, so we'll see if they work.

I haven't heard of HDMI to CAT5e converter. I think that would be quite a feat of engineering since the HD data throughput/bitrate of HDMI is enormous compared to CAT5e. Plus, HDMI is designed for copy protection, I pretty sure that converting to non-HDCP compliant cable would be a no-no with the studio/movie folks. I may be wrong. Someone help me out on this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what it looks like:

Quote:
CAT 5/6 HDMI Extender

One of the disadvantages of HDMI is the limited range of cabling before extenders are needed. This extender allows you to transmit over Cat 5 or 6 cable, thereby significantly reducing cable costs if you need to transmit over long distance. Both unshielded twisted pair (UTP) and shielded twisted pair (STP) cables may be used, however shielded is recommended.

Supported resolution: 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Bandwidth: 1.65Gbps

Transmission Range: Cat5 UTP 24AWG 1080p/35M, 1080i/40M

CAT6 UTP 24AWG 1080p/45M, 1080i/60M

Supported HDMI cable length: Source to sender: 2M

Receiver to sink: 2M

HDCP compliant

Power Requirement: DC 5V, 2A (at sender end)

Max power consumption: 15W

Mains adaptor included

Size (sender & receiver): 44(W) x 43(W) x 26(D)mm

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, I'll be... Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So can anybody suggest if this would be OK? I would be more comfortable using this over the distance as I canbe generous with the cable run if I run into obstacles and also Cat5/6 is alot cheaper than HDMI

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
We've used various HDMI/Cat5 or CAT6 baluns for long distances. Our absolute best results have been using Cat6 and the transmitter/receivers from Audio Control.
http://www.audiocontrol.com/258502/p...-BVHD--10.html

One of the attributes that is helpful is a transmitter/receiver set which requires power at only one end rather than both.

Another commonly available product comes from Gefen ... we've never had good results from it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've always been concerned that baluns would introduce some kind of video lag. Perhaps throw of the sync a bit, or create lag for gaming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just attempted to put my audiocontrol hdr-10/hdd-10 in place and am not happy with it. For testing purposes I decided to hook up the PS3 first. My setup is...

PS3 -> HDMI cable -> HDD-10 -> 2xUTP Cat6 Patch cables -> HDR-10 -> HDMI cable -> Samsung HL61A750

The HDMI cables are 1.5ft HDMI 1.3a (Ferrite Core, Gold Plated Connector from monoprice)

The UTP Cat6 are 500MHz 5ft cables (monoprice patch cables, *not* user installed tips)

Running 1080p, the Samsung comes up with "Mode Not Supported"

Running 1080i (also 720p), I do see PS3 output, but I'm getting flashes and pops from the Samsung

When I connect the PS3 directly to the Samsung with the 1.5ft HDMI cables, everything looks great in 1080p.

This all being said, I did manage to get them working well with u-verse (don't get me started, i've had u-verse a month and it's going back) with the following setup. However, I believe uverse is only 720p.

u-verse box -> HDMI 1.3a (1.5ft) -> Denon 2809CI -> HDMI 1.3a -> HDD-10 -> 2xUTP Cat6 Patch cables (5ft) -> 2x cat6 keystone coupler -> 2xUTP Cat6 Patch cables (50ft) -> 2x cat6 keystone coupler -> 2 UTP Cat6 Patch Cables (5ft) -> HDR-10 -> HDMI 1.3a (1.5ft) -> Samsung HL61A750

When I hook the PS3 up through the Denon I still get the "Mode Not Supported" for 1080p

If I can't get something worked out, I'll probably send back the Audiocontrol and pick up one of the Accell UltraRun cables. Wish me luck.

Edit: I'm going to try STP before I completely give up on the Audiocontrol units.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.