Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Benq 8700 projector....

Looking for advice on what cables I should run to the projector for future proofing. DVI is a given what about RGBHV? Others?

Thanks.

Elmer

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
If you are trying to future proof it then you run DVI, RGBHV, Component and any necessary control cabling required to talk to the projector from your other boxes. If all of that is handled by the remote then only the signal lines need to be there. All of the newer STBs output either DVI or Component but PCs and other boxes also output RGBHV so I would run them all. Do it once, do it right!

..Doyle

·
Premium Member
14,808 Posts
For the ultimate in "future proof" run an extra conduit. Make it as big as possible so you can run terminated cables through it.

Craig

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I pre-ran DVI-I, component, single vga, and s-video. I wish I ran a 2nd component since you need to use BNC adapters with the component to get progressive input from 8700. Therefore you could have both the BNC and component hooked up.

Surprisingly I'm using most of the connections.

DVI - with D1 DVD player.

BNC (via component) - XBOX

S-video - S-VHS VCR (processes cable from Time Warner's coax)

You may want to run a cat5 to the projector if you anticipate using the projector's trigger (for screen, lights, etc.).

I used a single 2" PVC (from Lowes) to run all cable in. I anticipate moving before any technology upgrades. I could still get an HDMI cable through it though.

Jasman

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you have the room for it, run a piece of 2" central vacuum tubing (i believe it's PVC). This is easy in a dropped ceiling, but you may have to buy a good 2 1/4" bit to go through joists in a drywall one. End the pipe with a couple of 45 degree pieces to come throught the ceiling at an obtuse angle and finish them neatly.

Before you put it up thread a piece of sturdy string (paracute cord is good) with something on either end to prevent it from being pulled thriugh.

Now when you want to add or change cabling, tie one end to the new cable along with another string to pull back, then just pull it through. then retrieve your carrier string and you're done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.