AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
...Then when you try to calibrate these modes you find you are fighting a loosing battle, even if you are only trying it hit the P3 targets you soon realise its not possible without some serious errors due to the lack of luminance because of the filter being engaged...

I also read a lot of people preferring SDR/BT.2020 & if that's what they like then who am I to tell them what they should do with their projectors. What I will say is I would bet the majority of them are not using meters & software to assess the performance but are adjusting by eye.

To me its important to try & adhere to the standards as closely as possible so I can see what the director saw in the edit bay, others seems to not be bothered & just dial in their display to what looks good to them...

At the end of the day its your equipment you can do what you like with it.
I hear you and I completely understand your point - I am one who doesn't have meters and software to perform proper calibrations so I was just curious what your thoughts were. You have put a lot of time and effort into this thread and with your help, my 5040ub has never looked so good.

jidelite

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
I hear you and I completely understand your point - I am one who doesn't have meters and software to perform proper calibrations so I was just curious what your thoughts were. You have put a lot of time and effort into this thread and with your help, my 5040ub has never looked so good.

jidelite
No worries, the main thing is you like what you see & are happy, that is the most important thing.

I was tempted by MadVR but when I watch a movie I really don't see the point right now. Could it look better? Sure but I don't think it will be a night & day difference.

These projectors have limitations & you can only work with what you've got & right now I think with my settings I am get getting at least 95% out of what's on offer.

I am glad you find them useful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Adam,
would you be so kind as to post your 420/820 settings, I searched the thread and could not find all the details. I am testing your settings today and want to thank you for all of your hard work.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
I have done multiple calibration runs using SDR with the BT.2020 colour space as a container & I just find the projected image far to dim to enjoy the benefits of the expanded colour gamut.
If you’re using Natural for HDR then you should be still using Natural when switching to the Panasonic “SDR/BT2020” mode. There is no loss in peak brightness or difference in gamut; the only difference is you’ll be asking the Panasonic to do the ST.2084 PQ curve instead of the Epson.

Of course you will not be getting the full P3 gamut when using Natural, but that is the case regardless of whether you’re outputting HDR/BT2020 or SDR/BT2020 from the Panasonic.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
If you’re using Natural for HDR then you should be still using Natural when switching to the Panasonic “SDR/BT2020” mode. There is no loss in peak brightness or difference in gamut; the only difference is you’ll be asking the Panasonic to do the ST.2084 PQ curve instead of the Epson.

Of course you will not be getting the full P3 gamut when using Natural, but that is the case regardless of whether you’re outputting HDR/BT2020 or SDR/BT2020 from the Panasonic.
I did not explain myself very well looking back on my post, I was referring to when I tried to calibrate with the colour filter engaged to take advantage of that wider colour gamut the filter provides. As soon as I read BT.2020 I just think about engaging the colour filter :D

Must be honest I have not tried the SDR/BT.2020 mode on the Panasonic but if you can switch between SDR/BT.2020 & HDR/BT.2020 without adjusting any settings in the Epson then I guess you have nothing to lose?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #266 (Edited)
Adam,
would you be so kind as to post your 420/820 settings, I searched the thread and could not find all the details. I am testing your settings today and want to thank you for all of your hard work.
The main setting you need to check is HDR TV is set to "Basic Luminance LCD and Projector" & the HDR Optimiser is turned on.

I have attached images of my settings below.

The only other change I made was to "Edge Correction" as this is know when left on 0 to soften the image.

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
The main setting you need to check is HDR TV is set to "Basic Luminance LCD and Projector" & the HDR Optimiser is turned on.

I have attached images of my settings below.

The only other change I made was to "Edge Correction" as this is know when left on 0 to soften the image.

Hope this helps
:D WOW, Adam, just WOW.... My image is so amazing after using your settings. Thank you for all the hard work.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Just received mine today and didn't see those setting while setting it up. I'll have to do that tonite.

Thanks Adam!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
:D WOW, Adam, just WOW.... My image is so amazing after using your settings. Thank you for all the hard work.
Happy I could help you, enjoy:)

Just received mine today and didn't see those setting while setting it up. I'll have to do that tonite.

Thanks Adam!
Did you go for the 420 or 820? Either way I think you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The 420.

Reactions: AdamAttewell

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Can someone give a quick and dirty on when to use the 2.2 vs. 2.4 settings? I have a light controlled room so I should use 2.4, correct?

Also, for HDR, when do you use the 500 nits vs. 1000 nits settings? Do you just select the setting that looks best to your eye?

Sorry for the elementary questions. This is my first 4k projector. I haven't even heard about HDR until I started doing some research!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Can someone give a quick and dirty on when to use the 2.2 vs. 2.4 settings? I have a light controlled room so I should use 2.4, correct?

Also, for HDR, when do you use the 500 nits vs. 1000 nits settings? Do you just select the setting that looks best to your eye?

Sorry for the elementary questions. This is my first 4k projector. I haven't even heard about HDR until I started doing some research!
Try both gamma's & see which you prefer, there is no right or wrong here as its down to personal preference, what the content was graded to & lighting conditions in the room.

I just save all the different settings under their own memories & then you can switch between them to see which one you prefer.

What source device are you using?

I myself am using a Panasonic UB820 which allows me to tone map HDR content down to 500 nits hence why I have a calibration for 500 nits.

Movies from Hollywood are either 1000 or 4000 nits depending on the display they were mastered on, I would say 1000 nits is the most common.

On the UB820 you can see in the picture settings menu what the content you are watching was mastered to.

Again a little trial & error is needed as there are so many variables that you will need to experiment to see which fits your setup best.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Try both gamma's & see which you prefer, there is no right or wrong here as its down to personal preference, what the content was graded to & lighting conditions in the room.

I just save all the different settings under their own memories & then you can switch between them to see which one you prefer.

What source device are you using?

I myself am using a Panasonic UB820 which allows me to tone map HDR content down to 500 nits hence why I have a calibration for 500 nits.

Movies from Hollywood are either 1000 or 4000 nits depending on the display they were mastered on, I would say 1000 nits is the most common.

On the UB820 you can see in the picture settings menu what the content you are watching was mastered to.

Again a little trial & error is needed as there are so many variables that you will need to experiment to see which fits your setup best.
I have a Roku Ultra and Xfinity X1 4K DVR (XG1v4). I stream Xfinity On demand, Amazon Prime and Disney+ with those devices.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
I have a Roku Ultra and Xfinity X1 4K DVR (XG1v4). I stream Xfinity On demand, Amazon Prime and Disney+ with those devices.
I am not familiar with those device but I am going to go out on a limb & say they do not tone map.

Like I said give both 1000 & 500 nits a try & see which you like.

Using someone else's settings will always be a compromise compared to doing a calibration yourself with the right equipment.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The 420/820 only tone maps a physical disc, right?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I am not familiar with those device but I am going to go out on a limb & say they do not tone map.

Like I said give both 1000 & 500 nits a try & see which you like.

Using someone else's settings will always be a compromise compared to doing a calibration yourself with the right equipment.

Thanks for the calibration! The 1000 nits was dark, but seemed to have better black levels than the 500 nits. I was thinking that the 1000 nits would be brighter.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
in the original post, for the 820 it says "I use a Panasonic UB820 with the HDR optimizer switched on using the HDR TV Type "Basic Luminance LCD & Projector"

I have no such setting on my 820. Am I looking in the wrong spot? Help!

261 - 280 of 286 Posts