AVS Forum banner

281 - 297 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
in the original post, for the 820 it says "I use a Panasonic UB820 with the HDR optimizer switched on using the HDR TV Type "Basic Luminance LCD & Projector"

I have no such setting on my 820. Am I looking in the wrong spot? Help!

You can see that menu option here is this video at 1:28, the setting is called " HDR TV Type"

Watch from the start to see how to access that setting.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I tried Adam's HDR settings with Disney+ and the whites are blown out and sometimes even pink. Is that happening to you guys?

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I tried Adam's HDR settings with Disney+ and the whites are blown out and sometimes even pink. Is that happening to you guys?
Two possible issues there: streaming content and his particular projector isn't exactly identical to yours. Lots of variables, which is why using someone else's settings really is a crapshoot.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
The pink is strange, but I use D+ with no issues. Are you certain you're getting an HDR feed? That is where I run into issues with any stream because I turn on HDR settings (or SDR) and the signal does not match.

Reactions: Grayson73

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The pink is strange, but I use D+ with no issues. Are you certain you're getting an HDR feed? That is where I run into issues with any stream because I turn on HDR settings (or SDR) and the signal does not match.
Yeah, I checked the signal, and it was very dark with the SDR settings. I'm loving Adam's settings for SDR.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
@Dominic Chan I did not know where to ask this & I see you are active in some of the madVR threads so thought you may know.

I am considering giving madVR a try for tone mapping, I have a capable PC but I will need to purchase a capable BD drive.

My main concern other than getting things setup is that I will need to recalibrate to take advantage of madVR.

Would this be the case or could I use my existing calibration?

Many thanks

Adam

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
@Dominic Chan I did not know where to ask this & I see you are active in some of the madVR threads so thought you may know.

I am considering giving madVR a try for tone mapping, I have a capable PC but I will need to purchase a capable BD drive.

My main concern other than getting things setup is that I will need to recalibrate to take advantage of madVR.

Would this be the case or could I use my existing calibration?

Many thanks

Adam
You seem to be mistaken; I’m not active in any of the madVR threads as I know next to nothing about madVR.
However, you shouldn’t have to recalibrate your projector to take advantage of madVR’s HDR tone-mapping; as the projector would just use a different combination of colour space and EOTF, i.e., gamma 2.4 for EOTF and BT.2020 or DCI-P3 for colour space.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
You seem to be mistaken; I’m not active in any of the madVR threads as I know next to nothing about madVR.
However, you shouldn’t have to recalibrate your projector to take advantage of madVR’s HDR tone-mapping; as the projector would just use a different combination of colour space and EOTF, i.e., gamma 2.4 for EOTF and BT.2020 or DCI-P3 for colour space.
My apologies Dominic, must have gotten my wires crossed.

I will look into it then, I have always heard about how good madVR is but I never tried it is getting started with it is seems rather daunting.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My apologies Dominic, must have gotten my wires crossed.

I will look into it then, I have always heard about how good madVR is but I never tried it is getting started with it is seems rather daunting.
AdamAttewell - looking forward to your venture into madVR. I use it to do HDR -> SDR DTM with your settings and to my eyes it looks fantastic. Interested to see if you have any additional recommendations.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
AdamAttewell - looking forward to your venture into madVR. I use it to do HDR -> SDR DTM with your settings and to my eyes it looks fantastic. Interested to see if you have any additional recommendations.
I appreciate your interest, work has been real busy so I just have not had the time to learn how to use madVR & I will be honest reading some of the guides it is rather daunting with all the possible players & configurations.

Also having never used my PC to watch movies makes it a steep learning curve for me.

Any guides you recommend or tips?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I appreciate your interest, work has been real busy so I just have not had the time to learn how to use madVR & I will be honest reading some of the guides it is rather daunting with all the possible players & configurations.

Also having never used my PC to watch movies makes it a steep learning curve for me.

Any guides you recommend or tips?
Guides and tips are a tall order since madVR has been around for quite a while and is still going thru MANY changes and PC usage is SO subjective. You probably know more about it than I do but I'll give you where I started:
First I have a laptop using (what appears to be a middle of the road GPU) a Nvidia RTX 2070 and the software player I'm using is MPC-HC 1.9.8 (not really interested in special frontends to display movie info). I'm using madVR 0.92.17+113 (madVRhdrMeasure113) - just know madshi is up to about Beta123 (114-xxx are limited test builds which I do not have to time to play with).

If you don't already know where to look, the bulk of my info comes from:

madVR - high quality video renderer (GPU assisted)
madVR Player Support Thread
Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR
Improving Madvr HDR to SDR mapping for projector

Hopefully others can chime in to help you as we appreciate what you do. If you happen to want my basic madVR settings I'll be glad to provide - good luck.

jidelite

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Guides and tips are a tall order since madVR has been around for quite a while and is still going thru MANY changes and PC usage is SO subjective. You probably know more about it than I do but I'll give you where I started:
First I have a laptop using (what appears to be a middle of the road GPU) a Nvidia RTX 2070 and the software player I'm using is MPC-HC 1.9.8 (not really interested in special frontends to display movie info). I'm using madVR 0.92.17+113 (madVRhdrMeasure113) - just know madshi is up to about Beta123 (114-xxx are limited test builds which I do not have to time to play with).

If you don't already know where to look, the bulk of my info comes from:

madVR - high quality video renderer (GPU assisted)
madVR Player Support Thread
Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR
Improving Madvr HDR to SDR mapping for projector

Hopefully others can chime in to help you as we appreciate what you do. If you happen to want my basic madVR settings I'll be glad to provide - good luck.

jidelite
Many thanks for all that info, I will be sure to take a look & hopefully I can do some comparisons between my UB820 & madVR.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just wanted to say "Thank you" to Adam, Dominic, and others for the great contribution to the community in this thread. I don't have the equipment or the know-how to pull this off, so your efforts have really given me a head start. I'm still tweaking a bit, but really enjoying what I'm seeing. I bought the UB5040 several months ago and have been using something close to the 500 nits HDR setting with my old LG 4k blu ray player. I recently scored a used UB420 on ebay for $99, which I am pretty happy about, so I'm now revisiting this thread to understand how to take advantage of its capabilities. I initially started with SDR/BT.2020 because that seemed to be the general buzz but now I finally saw Adam's post (approximately #250 in this thread) saying he's using HDR/BT.2020, which, to my eyes, makes a lot of sense, and looks really good.

So, thanks again everyone. While a copy/paste of somebody else's settings may not be the "best" way to optimize our setups, it sure gives a nice boost.

PS. Actually, I do have a question. Is there a reason not to use 4:4:4 here? I noticed adam is using 4:2:0 (for the two 4k/60 movies out there, you know!)

Reactions: AdamAttewell

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Just wanted to say "Thank you" to Adam, Dominic, and others for the great contribution to the community in this thread. I don't have the equipment or the know-how to pull this off, so your efforts have really given me a head start. I'm still tweaking a bit, but really enjoying what I'm seeing. I bought the UB5040 several months ago and have been using something close to the 500 nits HDR setting with my old LG 4k blu ray player. I recently scored a used UB420 on ebay for $99, which I am pretty happy about, so I'm now revisiting this thread to understand how to take advantage of its capabilities. I initially started with SDR/BT.2020 because that seemed to be the general buzz but now I finally saw Adam's post (approximately #250 in this thread) saying he's using HDR/BT.2020, which, to my eyes, makes a lot of sense, and looks really good.

So, thanks again everyone. While a copy/paste of somebody else's settings may not be the "best" way to optimize our setups, it sure gives a nice boost.

PS. Actually, I do have a question. Is there a reason not to use 4:4:4 here? I noticed adam is using 4:2:0 (for the two 4k/60 movies out there, you know!) View attachment 3107500
The best modes for the 5040UB are 4k60 4:2:0 8-bit or 4k24/4k30 4:2:2 12-bit due to the 10 Gbps HDMI limitation.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a light controlled room found that AdamAttewell's HDR 500 nits (High) settings worked best for me.
@AdamAttewell I've been using your HDR 500 nits settings for a while. Last night when watching a movie (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), there was a scene where an actors face had a bright light shinning on it, and their face turned completely white. The clip in question can be seen here (check around the 1:18 mark), this is just for reference, it isn't actually footage from my projector:

When I check the movie on the HDR TV upstairs, it was fine, and you could see the details on the actors face.

Just wondering if I've maybe got a setting wrong? I haven't really seen this issue before.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ok, I don't think it is anything to do with your settings Adam. If I use a default colour mode setting, the issue happens unless I have "Dynamic Range" set to "SDR" or "HDR Mode4". If using one of those settings, you can see the face properly.

Problem is, selecting SDR is too bright, and HDR Mode4 is way too dark.

The screenshot below shows the white face weirdness.

Maybe a shortcoming of the projector? Not sure...

281 - 297 of 297 Posts