AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the calculator on Projector Central accurate? I put in the Panasonic AE700, with a 58x104 screen, and the throw is at like 23' 100% magnificition (none). Does this mean my room has to be larger than this, or this projector will not focus at all on this size screen? I like the pricepoint of the AE700, but don't want to have to expand my basement to accomodate!!!

Rick

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
You need to move the throw ratio slider near the top; it sounds like it was on its maximum throw ratio. You should be able to get that screen size for as little as half that distance.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Noah is right. The AE700 has a 2:1 zoom, so that means that at maximum zoom, the distance will be halved (11.5'), according to your statement.

Each slider is adjustable and you move them until you get what you need. The key sliders are screen width and zoom (throw) ratio. In your case you have a 120" diagonal, so you can use that instead of width (it only handles 4:3 and 16:9 screen sizes - the buttons above the throw distance slider.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your information and patience. I feel like an idiot. But, I am slowly becoming informed. Went and adjusted, and yes, the screen size and distance to mount and to seating is not an issue. I taped out the 54 x 108 screen, and it looked a little big on the wall (is that blasphemy to say on this site???). I think a 54x96 looks better on the all (just over half the width of the wall.

Thanks again, Rick

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That's why it's nice to have the projector before you ultimately decide on screen size. People sometimes incorrectly assume since big is good, biggest must be best. Prop the PJ up on a table and sit and watch a 2-hour movie at a certain size. If you don't have eye strain or a headache, it's probably small enough.

Bobby

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Rick, I would go with either 16:9 or a 2.35:1 constant height system, unless you plan on masking all four sides with a 2.0 screen. Follow Bobby's advise in temporarily projecting onto the wall at whatever size you like. I'd also add that you should use an aspect ratio close to 16:9... either HDTV, or a 1.85:1 AR movie, which will show the maximum image size you'll see. Then make it as big as is comfortable, and get the size of 16:9 AR screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.