AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It was interesting to read a review of a pj that I have lived with for a while. I definitely concur regarding the fan noise, and am glad that BenQ engineers are "looking into" the issue. I'd love to avoid having to make a hush box for the thing.

Quite honestly I haven't seen any even slight orange bias to reds, once calibrated (with AVIA or VE at least). I'll have to go back tonight and spot if I can make out what Mr. Powell is talking about. Color saturation is a variable animal, I'd suppose, depending on source material. Certainly with the Bravo D1 (and I agree that it provides a great picture) color needs cranking.

There's little doubt about the value assessment.

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
I see it has PIP and POP. This is something I wish the other manufactures would add. If BenQ can do it on the cheap there should be no excuse from the bigger boys.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good picture (which DLP HD2 projector produces a bad picture??) but noisy. The 7200 was just returned (for a full refund) because I could not hear myself thinking during the movie ... that expensive grinder sounds less distracting than this one....a fan with overdrive and first gears? You may need to 'synchronize' your processor to the fan speed to compensate for it! What were they thinking? I will gladly pay more to ensure that my investment fulfills all basic requirements. NEXT...!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
In my opinion the 7200 is much louder than the 8700. There is a color whell whine on the 7200 which isnt present on the 8700. I have yet to hear a silent projector and for the price I doubt it would be a deal breaker. If you need a quiter pj go with the S2 or S3, but be prepared to pay a lot more.

Andy

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am just about to buy a 8700 in the uk I have asked Benq

uk to test their machines re the fan cycle they are doing

this and coming back to me.

Also for users with a D1 DVI input what colour and contrast

settings do you use

Please post the values as a good starting point.

Thankyou

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
shumi_9;

I agree. I've heard the 7200 and as soon as I read in the ProjectorCentral review that they felt the fan noise coming from the 8700 was louder, they might as well have said that it was a great projector but there's no AC outlet. Total deal killer for me.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. I am really surprised as to how loud people feel this projector is. This is my 5th projector and I would say it is arguably the quietest of them all. My closest runner up was the DELL 3200mp. Don't missunderstand, I'm not trying to say that it is completely silent, I just think the issue is being blown out a bit more than it should.

Jeff

·
Registered
718 Posts
I agree about the fan noise. I couldn't live with something as loud (yet alone louder) than the 7200. If it was a long throw then maybe. Makes you wonder what these guys are thinking when they design these things?? I love the POP feature but would have been even more useable if they had more input options to work with. For example, an ability to POP two S-video sources (SD satellite) should have been a no brainer as the majority of PIP and POP users are sports that are broadcast SD. I realize you could work around this through a HD box but why not just add the extra input? Still, high kudos for putting a great feature like this on their unit and lets hope others will follow.

BTW, any hope of a longer throw lens for this baby?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lemke
Wow. I am really surprised as to how loud people feel this projector is. This is my 5th projector and I would say it is arguably the quietest of them all. My closest runner up was the DELL 3200mp. Don't missunderstand, I'm not trying to say that it is completely silent, I just think the issue is being blown out a bit more than it should.

Jeff
I don't understand this either, Jeff.

I was amazed at how quiet the unit was.

puzzeling...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the BenQ now for two weeks now and have used it heavily -- my previous projector was a Sony 10HT, which I thought was louder. I live in Manhattan so that could account for being desensitized to decibels. Very rarely do I notice the BenQ fan noise, and it is literally 1 ft behind and above me on a stand. I absolutely love the PQ, blacks and contrast on this PJ!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lemke

Jeff
The problem is the reference to the SP7200. The SP7200 is one of the quietest HD2 PJs available, unless you get one that has the whine.

Read Evan Powells test of the SP7200. He says about its fan noise:

"The high lamp setting boosted lumen output on both units (the MT8 and SP7200) by about 20%. There is very little difference in fan noise between these two settings; fan noise is low in both modes."

He is comparing the volume of his Benq to the volume of his[/B SP7200, not to someons elses SP7200 which was defective.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
BenQ would be my choice if I wanted a single chip DLP!

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
If noise is the only concern which one would hold up buying this PJ it might be worthwhile just spending another $500 and put the PJ in a hushbox (e.g. Whisperflow). At this PJ price it still remains a great bargain.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
We need to petition or try to influence BenQ to address the fan issue. It is the only problem with the pj.

Whether it is perceived as a problem is due to setup, other ambient noise like central air or heat duct noise, how close the pj is, quiet vs. loud movie, etc., etc.

Still it should not have to be an issue.

Dan

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drapp1952
We need to petition or try to influence BenQ to address the fan issue. It is the only problem with the pj.

Whether it is perceived as a problem is due to setup, other ambient noise like central air or heat duct noise, how close the pj is, quiet vs. loud movie, etc., etc.

Still it should not have to be an issue.

Dan
Totally agree. This is definitely a winner if they can control the fan noise or at least offer a long throw lens option. Preferably they will address the fan noise.

I am interested to hear comments regarding the 7200 being quiet. I have auditioned two different units at different dealers and found both to be very loud.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glenned
The problem is the reference to the SP7200. The SP7200 is one of the quietest HD2 PJs available, unless you get one that has the whine.
Glenned,

you and I have had this conversation before (you are not an Infocus dealer, are you?). I think it is a matter of reference. In my case (and for many others I would bet) sound is as critical as video. It may not be for you. I spent more than $30K on the audio portion of my system and the room is also heavily sound proofed. I use my audio system as a reference two channel also. I'll be "d_____" if I am gone have my HT projector ruin the enjoyment of listening to ...let us say a DTS music concert (like Diana Krall Live in Paris).If I can hear the projector, while viewing any program (even the quite passages) it is NO GOOD, period. Did your old CRT television make this much noise? Why should you accept the noise from your new video source? It is amazing to me that some of these products are marketed as "having being optimized" for HT applications. The only projectors that have come close to meeting all of the requirements have been the ones built by manufacturers who have been marketing products for HT for a long time and understand, that lack of noise is absolutely fundamental (like brightness uniformity, a parameter which the Infocus does not specify or guarantee!). I am talking about Runco, Seleco, even DreamVision. Why do you think Seleco spent so much time and effort to develop a silent color wheel?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Shumi_9,

I'll agree entirely with your sentiments in the continuing spirit of constructive criticism of BenQ. Let's hope the BenQ engineering department continues to "look into the issue," as Evan Powell in his review indicated.

It's ironic that BenQ devoted special attention to making a quiet color wheel and then they end up using a relatively intrusive cycling fan.

Dan

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
For me, after years of wanting to have a very large screen HT set-up in my very own living room, the picture quality of front projectors (even without HD2, HD2+ and so on) , particularly in combination with higher level sources such as digital cable/satellite and DVDs, finally looked like it was 'there' only a couple of years ago. And the price-to-value ratio seemed to be getting about right, too.

Oh, I know that there will continue to be tweaks and improvements, but for myself and, I imagine, many others who are now targeted by the plasma manufacturers and whatever is left of big box rear projection TV interest, it just seems that the technology is there for many of us to get at least 95% of what we've always wanted.

But we're a spoiled, lazy and, by now, a wary lot. We and our spouses are not going to jump in if we foresee that dropped ceilings, yards of flagpole thick bundles of cable, hush boxes, over-head dangling shelves and additional components stacked on top of last years components are going to be required to be able to flip a switch and start watching a 100" diagonal image of Robin Hood, no matter how tantalizing that goal may be.

If the picture is great...but I notice the noise emanating from the fan enough to have to apologize for it to my guests, if the fan is whisper quiet...but native 4:3 causes the zoomed-in 16:9 presentation of Lord Of The Rings to come across a bit too pixelated, if the picture quality of 4:3 AND 16:9 both appear near pixel-free and the fan is whisper quiet...but the ongoing lamp replacement costs are such that I have to pick and choose the days and hours that I leave the thing on...Yes, it's not a very flattering description of myself (and others), but there it is.

NEC had an opportunity this last CEDIA to make a major move in the direction of providing just about all of the major pieces of what most casual researchers of this product line (such as myself) would need in order to feel reasonably comfortable that they didn't give up too much after lo these many years of waiting. But they gently declined.

The HT1000 (at Eco-mode) is quieter than almost any FP I've shared a room with. 3-D Reform allows a huge flexibility in placement in any living-room set-up, PQ was certainly there (although I much preferred normal to Eco-mode for brightness, but not for lamp life), size and weight of the unit is easy to live with, HDCP for some level of future-proofing...but NOT to have added a model that was more prepared to mate with the promise of that HD future with a native 16:9 version of this model is so annoying as to seem more than what the public line on it is.

Coincidentally, I just received an email from NEC that, sadly, informed me that they have no plans in the forseeable future to introduce a HT version of their great new concept of the Super Short throw distance WT600, a concept that, in itself, solves a world of issues for the average HT hopeful and in brightness, lamp life and potential fan noise, far surpasses it's own HT1000. I was told there will be no Faroudja DCDi, no HDCP, no native 16:9, no 12-volt trigger...

Well, we're at a point where the technology is THERE, but with the obvious 'feature juggling' going on, the manufacturers appear to be choosing the marketing strategy of not providing what we WANT (with all 5 or 6 of the major pieces included) in favor of providing what they want to SELL us for now.

So, if I jump in and pop for an 8700 today, has BenQ already calculated how long it'll take for my initial impression of the WOW picture quality to wear off and for that loud and variable-speed fan noise to start to grate?

If I pop for the WT600 today, has NEC already calculated how soon that lack of HDCP is really going to rear it's ugly head?

I'd probably be lot less paranoid and much more inclined to jump in right now if it weren't for the sneaking suspicion that I've been down this road too many times in the past.

Is it too paranoid for me to suspect that all this 'feature juggling' is the NEC and BenQ marketing departments' way of increasing their chances of selling me TWO of their front projector products over the next couple of years instead of just one?

Or is it too naive for me not to?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.