AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. Need a little help, I'm tempted to buy a cheap LCD projector (there are units under 2000 now) for watching TV and movies. I have a SMALL space, about 12 feet across total. I'd like to show a large picture and save space of not having a tv set.

I have NO IDEA how many lumens, what HDTV compatability REALLY means, what is "native HDTV" ability, etc. I'd like to enclose it and vent it so there is no noise. I also plan to use my COMPUTER as a head unit, with an external DVD drive and 5.1 sound card through amplifier. The goal is a large picture, small footprint, not-too-high expense.

Alos would buy used if reputable seller, etc. I am sure CRT is out for me, and I think CRT has no screen door, but any projector at 12' should show little screen door I think, right?

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
At 12 feet eyeball to screen you will see screendoor very clearly with any svga LCD. It will be so obvious I would not recommended it. With a newer XGA LCD that has a good fill ratio you will still see screendoor if the projector is finely focused. If you slighly defocus the screendoor will be hard to see and the picture will still appear sharp. With a SVGA DLP projector you should see virtually no screendoor at 12 feet and with a XGA you should not see any. If you don't mind no zoom and a short-life expensive lamp the NEC LT150 is a good buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the lt150 is going to be the fp for me.Sombody posted a picture of one recently on top of a sony unit and I belive there was a cat in the picture as well.What was the name of that thread?I want to show my wife just how small the unit is,she has seen the sony upclose so...

I am new here but I have been reading for 2 years or so.Thanks for all the help and encouragement to continue the addiction..er um..hobby

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.