AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking on buying a projector, what are some good projectors for the money?? also is sony 720p HD 12000:1 good for $900??

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
There are several happy users of the Sony AW15 here on the forum and your price quoted is a good price.

If you spend some time here in the forum, you will find about a dozen PJs that will serve your needs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
basically i want the best projector for the money!! who dosen't right?? i also am interested in the 2:35:1 screen but i see that you need lenses and that there are many types of lenses why is that, what is the diff. between the lenses?? by the way thanks for responding!! one more thing...what are you guys running(screen wise) and should i buy one or make one??

·
Registered
5,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/12968814

If you want to do 2:35:1 you are going to need a projector that does anamorphic squeeze as well as a lens such as the panamorph

http://www.panamorph.com/ModelUV200.html#U85

There are only a handful of pj's that do VS at the moment, so if 2.35 is really the way you are looking to go prepare to spend money on the lens and external scaler. This is going to put you in the 2k range for an inexpensive 2.35 setup.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict /forum/post/12969717

There are only a handful of pj's that do VS at the moment, so if 2.35 is really the way you are looking to go prepare to spend money on the lens and external scaler. This is going to put you in the 2k range for an inexpensive 2.35 setup.

Several PJs including the HD70 do the scaling internally, all you need is a lens. You can even make your own prism based lens.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! thanks for the replies!! i really feel the love. anyway so if my wall is only 11' wide can i run a 2:35:1 setup, what screen size would i do? also where do the speakers go, somebody told me that they put them behind the screen?? but i see some pics of people framing them off to either side of the screen??? totally confused!! please help!! my length is 26' by the way. also where are the lenses sold or how could i make it??

·
Registered
412 Posts
Jesus dude, not to sound like a jerk but read around a little, put a few minutes of reasearch and reading into it and you'll find plenty of answers.

You call yourself "home theater buff?" So do some buffing!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetri99 /forum/post/12961226

i am thinking on buying a projector, what are some good projectors for the money?? also is sony 720p HD 12000:1 good for $900??

Another good place to start is go on projectorcentral.com and read up on their highest rated home theater projectors.

There are lots of very fair reviews on that site and some comparison reviews between the projecotors.

After reading all the reviews you will probably end up buying the Panasonic AX200 or one of the Epson projecotors

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you everyone, sorry for getting Mojo_LA angry. i just trying to learn and then teach other as i am learning from you guys.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetri99 /forum/post/12961226

Set yourself a budget. Then research the projectors within that limit. There are so many +'s and -'s off all the projectors. Find out which features are the most important to you, and get one that supports it. Some time you can't have your cake and eat it too, unless you have the cash!

I like LCD's for there flexible placement. I have never owned a DLP, so I can't comment on them. 1080p or 720p all depends on your seating distance and if you have HD sources (HD-DVD, Blu-ray or HD Cable). You'll find good info on this subject @ projectorreviews.com.

Coming to AVS is a good start!

UPDATE: Oooh, I see you're interested in 2.35. That can get complicated and expensive. Some of these lenses can cost as much as your projector

1 - 13 of 13 Posts