AVS Forum banner

19561 - 19580 of 19647 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I saw a post from Dylan Seeger on the other forum where he said the 695es he had for review, displayed less posterization.
So it may be less prominent on more recent models.
I believe it will be the case, especially in the 295/695 as they will not have the newer firmware that changes the HDR curve black level response in them.
The image on the 760 is great 99.9% of the time too.

Reactions: TheSony4KRises

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Having seen it for my self ...head to head with the NX9....from the vantage point of lens clarity......the 1000es/1100es bows to no one.

For a projector that came out 8 years ago that is some achievement and Sony should be commended for it.
A top quality lens with high end glass is a major contributor to overall picture quality. However the main thing most people have to weigh up is how much money the improvement is worth to them.
And this is bearing in mind that no native 4K projectors have substandard lenses these days and all give amazing clarity.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,563
Absolutely.

For the record I would still totally recommend a 1100/1000es to anyone …..in particular someone who already possesses a Lumagen or MadVr outboard processor.......even now in 2020.

Having seen it for my self ...head to head with the NX9....from the vantage point of lens clarity......the 1000es/1100es bows to no one.

For a projector that came out 8 years ago that is some achievement and Sony should be commended for it.
I would not recommend the VW1000/1100 primarily on the panel degradation alone. Cine4home and many others got roasted for pointing this out. it was being discussed on forums all over the world and affected other Sony models as well.

Sony should not be commended. It was never publicly announced and folks with the affected models had to have their entire optical block replaced with no guarantee it wouldn't happen again. I measured one at 3000:1 with only 400 hours. It was quietly fixed over the next few releases with just a few hints of how it was done.

That left a bad taste for many owners that spent that big $$ back then and a number of them moved to JVC as a result of that specific issue.

·
Registered
209 Posts
With some extra time at home, I've had a chance to finally finish some HT projects. HTPC + MadVR is running on all cylinders and it was time to move onto some audio updates.
Very interesting. But I did some search and I couldn't find any way to integrate the XML file with Kodi or PLEX for auto load when a movie is selected.

Have to manually load the XML file via the PC is bummer.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,565
As far as tweaks go, I have a question for you: In trying to solve the HDMI sync issue, I reset the Z30K to factory specs. I then re-calibrated using Art's original settings. Things came out fine for Sports, but my go to Movie mode seems way too bright. I've been fiddling around with it, but have not found the sweet spot. We also have a HP 2.8 screen. Do you mind sharing your Z30K set up for Movies?
hi, have you tried the User 1 mode? This mode is ~D65 last time I measured with no real tweaks to the RGB settings. I use this mode for all 2D movies, streaming and TV.

last night, I used the Sharp 30K for a few hours and miss it now since I've been mainly using the Runco for general viewing. It's much brighter than the Runco and also equally sharp, this one has an excellent lens with great edge to edge focus. I've had some of the other less expensive .65 DLP's over the years like the Mitsubishi HC8000 and the Benq W7000 where the lenses did not have the same quality.

I would say the Sharp 17K and 30K are the sharpest so far.. plus the coveted automated lens controls on the 30K is unique at this point for the DLP's, perhaps never to return again in an under 10K DLP.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
hi, have you tried the User 1 mode? This mode is ~D65 last time I measured with no real tweaks to the RGB settings. I use this mode for all 2D movies, streaming and TV.

last night, I used the Sharp 30K for a few hours and miss it now since I've been mainly using the Runco for general viewing. It's much brighter than the Runco and also equally sharp, this one has an excellent lens with great edge to edge focus. I've had some of the other less expensive .65 DLP's over the years like the Mitsubishi HC8000 and the Benq W7000 where the lenses did not have the same quality.

I would say the Sharp 17K and 30K are the sharpest so far.. plus the coveted automated lens controls on the 30K is unique at this point for the DLP's, perhaps never to return again in an under 10K DLP.

Jason, thanks and +1 on the "User 1" setting. That's what I use for everything except Sports and 3D. Somehow the image seems brighter since I reset everything. I removed the iscan mini at the same time as the reset. I'm wondering if that had some sort of previously unnoticed effect:confused:
Sad that Sharp released th Z30K, then closed up shop:( That was 2012! It's been 8 years since that DLP high water mark and no one has stepped up with powered lens controls. Why??? Benq, Optoma and the rest have been playing catch up for years. You would think that, by now, one of them would have ventured into the "deep water" market segment...Perhaps not enough of them follow the "pied piper" lead of Craig Peer (two different AR screens) which means NO BLACK BARS!:D.
Besides Jim Salk's magic (and installing Atmos), two screens is the single best addition to our HT set up in 20 years. Thanks Craig:)

·
Registered
29,927 Posts
Jason, thanks and +1 on the "User 1" setting. That's what I use for everything except Sports and 3D. Somehow the image seems brighter since I reset everything. I removed the iscan mini at the same time as the reset. I'm wondering if that had some sort of previously unnoticed effect:confused:
Sad that Sharp released th Z30K, then closed up shop:( That was 2012! It's been 8 years since that DLP high water mark and no one has stepped up with powered lens controls. Why??? Benq, Optoma and the rest have been playing catch up for years. You would think that, by now, one of them would have ventured into the "deep water" market segment...Perhaps not enough of them follow the "pied piper" lead of Craig Peer (two different AR screens) which means NO BLACK BARS!:D.
Besides Jim Salk's magic (and installing Atmos), two screens is the single best addition to our HT set up in 20 years. Thanks Craig:)
Two screens means lens memory. You can have that. I tried that for a week and hated it, but I am a long time A-lens user, so was spoiled with nearly instant aspect ratio changes. I love my CIH with power masking, DCR and Lumagen. My system is finally to the point that anyone can use it. Lumagen has auto aspect control, so every aspect I use is set up to fill the height of the screen. No black bars, scope content more grand a presentation than 16:9 content and simplicity of use. My theater is now simpler to use than my smart TV downstairs.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,313 Posts
I forgot how amazing the Darbee is. I need to find one for mines.
You are welcome to buy mine. I maybe used it once. It's in the box still.

Attachments

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,313 Posts
Very interesting. But I did some search and I couldn't find any way to integrate the XML file with Kodi or PLEX for auto load when a movie is selected.

Have to manually load the XML file via the PC is bummer.
Assuming an XML file can be loaded without clicking a bunch of things in a GUI, I can help you with this. Please ask about it in one of the setting up HTPC threads like the building a 4k htpc for madvr thread.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,570
Two screens means lens memory. You can have that. I tried that for a week and hated it, but I am a long time A-lens user, so was spoiled with nearly instant aspect ratio changes. I love my CIH with power masking, DCR and Lumagen. My system is finally to the point that anyone can use it. Lumagen has auto aspect control, so every aspect I use is set up to fill the height of the screen. No black bars, scope content more grand a presentation than 16:9 content and simplicity of use. My theater is now simpler to use than my smart TV downstairs.
That's about $14,500 MSRP for those 2 items assuming the least expensive radiance, it better be 1 touch viewing for that much $$ :D

On a lighter note we watched several of the new 4K Star Wars tonight, Empire Strikes Back, Rise of Skywalker for the 3rd time and Rogue One which is an absolutely amazing transfer, the best of the series in video quality imo. high recommend!!

MadVR and this beast below were the star of the show. i'm still blown away by MadVR's DTM, Envy owners are going to love this without a doubt.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
That's about $14,500 MSRP for those 2 items assuming the least expensive radiance, it better be 1 touch viewing for that much $$ :D

On a lighter note we watched several of the new 4K Star Wars tonight, Empire Strikes Back, Rise of Skywalker for the 3rd time and Rogue One which is an absolutely amazing transfer, the best of the series in video quality imo. high recommend!!

MadVR and this beast below were the star of the show. i'm still blown away by MadVR's DTM, Envy owners are going to love this without a doubt.
The original trilogy looks absolutely amazing now. I will check out Rogue One tonight I think! That was shot on the Alexa 65, so it does not surprise me that it looks the best.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The original trilogy looks absolutely amazing now. I will check out Rogue One tonight I think! That was shot on the Alexa 65, so it does not surprise me that it looks the best.
I couldnt get over just how good 'Star Wars A New Hope " looks on th enew UHD release....Detail is amazing....
Even more so when you remember its from 1977 .
I still remember going to the "Drive In" to see it with the single speaker hanging through the side window. :D

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I couldnt get over just how good 'Star Wars A New Hope " looks on th enew UHD release....Detail is amazing....
I still remember going to the "Drive In" to see it with the single speaker hanging through the side window. :D
I was saying the same to my wife. Not every shot is razor sharp, but seriously some of them, I would turn to her and say I cant freaking believe this is over 40 years old.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I was saying the same to my wife. Not every shot is razor sharp, but seriously some of them, I would turn to her and say I cant freaking believe this is over 40 years old.
I got so distracted on the opening scene with C3-PO and R2-D2 in the cooridor of the ship looking at the intricate detail on their exteriors !!! :eek: NEVER seen that before in all the times i have watched "A New Hope"..

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
I got so distracted on the opening scene with C3-PO and R2-D2 in the cooridor of the ship looking at the intricate detail on their exteriors !!! :eek: NEVER seen that before in all the times i have watched "A New Hope"..
Speaking of "A New Hope", last time I watched that was about a year ago and I the saber fight betweeen obiwan and vader was so out dated looking it was almost 1968 star-trek level of cheese. It's like obiwan puts his saber here "ok now hit it". Ok good, now hold your saber out and I'll it it next :)

Contrast that to Yoda fighting with Dooku in EP 2. I wonder if that will look all dated to me in 20 years also.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Speaking of "A New Hope", last time I watched that was about a year ago and I the saber fight betweeen obiwan and vader was so out dated looking it was almost 1968 star-trek level of cheese. It's like obiwan puts his saber here "ok now hit it". Ok good, now hold your saber out and I'll it it next :)

Contrast that to Yoda fighting with Dooku in EP 2. I wonder if that will look all dated to me in 20 years also.
OH ...Come on..... Sci Fi can never equate to "Cheese" :D

·
Registered
8,956 Posts

Whaaaat

Yoda fighting Dooku is all you got from the prequels?? Try Darth Maul man. Now that's a fight.

Just got done watching Rogue One in 4k.

HOLY CRAP!!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
To each his own...
I side with Jason on this one. There are a lot of possibilities if you use the "throw money at it" solution:)
Also, I want to watch presentations in their original AR. Film is art. The director chose to display his creation a certain way. He had a reason (presumably). In any case, a touch of a button to drop the screen, then another button to change the lens memory. Takes 10 seconds.
Plus, the 16x9 HP 2.8 is great for Sports (assuming we had any to watch):(. We will really miss The Masters. Georgia in the Springtime...

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
How is the DNR on the original trilogy? Some of the pics I saw looked troublesome, but I know most projection owners hate grain.

·
Registered
29,927 Posts

The post I responded to talked about Craig's system that uses two Stewart electric screens and a DCR lens, so pretty much the same price. :)

19561 - 19580 of 19647 Posts