AVS Forum banner

19581 - 19600 of 19637 Posts

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
That's about $14,500 MSRP for those 2 items assuming the least expensive radiance, it better be 1 touch viewing for that much $$ :D

On a lighter note we watched several of the new 4K Star Wars tonight, Empire Strikes Back, Rise of Skywalker for the 3rd time and Rogue One which is an absolutely amazing transfer, the best of the series in video quality imo. high recommend!!

MadVR and this beast below were the star of the show. i'm still blown away by MadVR's DTM, Envy owners are going to love this without a doubt.

The post I responded to talked about Craig's system that uses two Stewart electric screens, DCR lens and a Lumagen. So even more expensive. :)

·
Registered
18,640 Posts
The post I responded to talked about Craig's system that uses two Stewart electric screens and a DCR lens, so pretty much the same price. :)

I value picture quality over convenience. I even have 4 picture modes calibrated by Kris Deering - scope HDR, scope SDR ( with the DCR lens in place ), 16:9 HDR, 16:9 SDR ( no lens in place ). Like taking the trouble to hand load long range target ammo vs just buying something, I don’t mind hitting a few buttons to get a better picture experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,640 Posts
To each his own...
I side with Jason on this one. There are a lot of possibilities if you use the "throw money at it" solution:)
Also, I want to watch presentations in their original AR. Film is art. The director chose to display his creation a certain way. He had a reason (presumably). In any case, a touch of a button to drop the screen, then another button to change the lens memory. Takes 10 seconds.
Plus, the 16x9 HP 2.8 is great for Sports (assuming we had any to watch):(. We will really miss The Masters. Georgia in the Springtime...

Yup - I still love having two screens. It makes for a larger picture in both 16:9 and scope than I would have with just one screen!

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
I value picture quality over convenience. I even have 4 picture modes calibrated by Kris Deering - scope HDR, scope SDR ( with the DCR lens in place ), 16:9 HDR, 16:9 SDR ( no lens in place ). Like taking the trouble to hand load long range target ammo vs just buying something, I don’t mind hitting a few buttons to get a better picture experience.

You can have both. As you know, Kris calibrated my system also. :)

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,587
How is the DNR on the original trilogy? Some of the pics I saw looked troublesome, but I know most projection owners hate grain.
David, hi have you read through Bill Hunt's deep dive into the new releases?

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/star-wars-skywalker-saga-uhd

I watched New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi last night and thought they looked excellent overall. I saw no evidence of DNR except in some of the special edition VFX scenes (why did they do this!! auggg!!) which clearly stand out as lower res vs the rest of the live action scenes. Skin textures on all the actors faces are very distinct and have never really noticed the scar on Harrison Ford's chin before in the previous releases. I was also impressed with the black floor, especially in Empire. I watched it without my masks on and in many scenes the star fields looked as black as the scope bars. The wide color gamut is subtle but definitely there and appreciated. C3PO has never looked this good.

Bill has a good summary here imo:

Though it’s not the pure 1977 experience, there can be no doubt that you’ve never seen Star Wars—pardon me, A New Hope—looking and sounding better than it does here in 4K UHD. And for those of you who pine for that theatrical experience, the enterprising fans behind the cherished 4K77 will almost certainly use this disc’s improved image to create the ultimate version of it for you.

Rogue One is going to be a new reference disk to demo the HT. As Javs mentioned it was filmed on the Alexa 65 with 4K DI and is a remarkable transfer. The final battle scene of Scarif is the 'go to' scene for guest demos, absolutely amazing!!

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
Your screen is too small!

Your 16:9 vertical field of view angle is a little bigger than mine and my scope vertical field of view angle is slightly bigger than yours. You list 10' viewing for your scope screen and 10'-6" on your 16:9 screen. Your 16:9 is 59.5" and your scope is 50.2". I view from 9' and my screen is 46" in height.

Craig 16:9 vertical field of view angle is 25.3 degrees.
Mike 16:9 vertical field of view angle is 23.1 degrees.

Craig scope vertical field of view angle is 22.7 degrees.
Mike scope vertical field of view angle is 23.1 degrees.

But both of them are so close, I doubt anyone would really see a difference in immersion. Though if they could it would be on your 16:9 screen, since it has the largest difference.

·
Registered
18,640 Posts
Your 16:9 vertical field of view angle is a little bigger than mine and my scope vertical field of view angle is slightly bigger than yours. You list 10' viewing for your scope screen and 10'-6" on your 16:9 screen. Your 16:9 is 59.5" and your scope is 50.2". I view from 9' and my screen is 46" in height.

Craig 16:9 vertical field of view angle is 25.3 degrees.
Mike 16:9 vertical field of view angle is 23.1 degrees.

Craig scope vertical field of view angle is 22.7 degrees.
Mike scope vertical field of view angle is 23.1 degrees.

But both of them are so close, I doubt anyone would really see a difference in immersion. Though if they could it would be on your 16:9 screen, since it has the largest difference.
I switched electric screen mounting positions some time back -

Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, StudioTek 130 G3 material – 50.2 x 118 x 128.2 diagonal 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Viewing distance – 9' 8"

Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, Neve 1.1 material – 59.5 x 106 x 122 diagonal 1.78:1 aspect ratio

Viewing distance – 10’

Gives the scope screen a bit wider angle. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/3105574-peer-home-theater.html

Both you and I have limited throw distances.

I just wanted a larger 16:9 screen for stuff like Avatar or Band of Brothers -

http://displaywars.com/94-inch-16x9-vs-122-inch-16x9

It's all good !:)

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
I switched electric screen mounting positions some time back -

Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, StudioTek 130 G3 material – 50.2 x 118 x 128.2 diagonal 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Viewing distance – 9' 8"

Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, Neve 1.1 material – 59.5 x 106 x 122 diagonal 1.78:1 aspect ratio

Viewing distance – 10’

Gives the scope screen a bit wider angle. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/3105574-peer-home-theater.html

Both you and I have limited throw distances.
Your 16:9 viewing angle is big enough that you may be able to tell a difference. Your scope viewing angle is nearly the same as mine. Both of our systems are very immersive. :)

·
Registered
18,640 Posts
Your 16:9 viewing angle is big enough that you may be able to tell a difference. Your scope viewing angle is nearly the same as mine. Both of our systems are very immersive. :)
Honestly, I like playing " projectionist " in my theater. I think I'd be bored if I didn't have at least a few buttons to push. My friends think I'm a home theater mad scientist ! :D

·
Registered
18,640 Posts
After 2 weeks of " house arrest " due to the corona virus, my snark level is rising. I have been to Burning Man 6 years - I'm highly trained in the snarky arts ! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
After 2 weeks of " house arrest " due to the corona virus, my snark level is rising. I have been to Burning Man 6 years - I'm highly trained in the snarky arts ! :)
I will say this...with so much time on people's hands, the memes have been epic!

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
18,640 Posts
I will say this...with so much time on people's hands, the memes have been epic!
I've posted some good ones on my Facebook page - there are plenty right now.:D Obviously some people have too much time on their hands !

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
How is the DNR on the original trilogy? Some of the pics I saw looked troublesome, but I know most projection owners hate grain.
Its not distracting at all.

The image has more detail than it ever has, so in that respect, it does not look overly soft at all.

There is a static film grain which they have added though, thats been there since bluray, if anything thats a little bit odd, but thats not 'new'.

I have watched the 4K77 versions, and in my opinion they are unwatchable due to the dirty film, and they did not have the tools that Skywalker have to restore film to the level they do now, so thats the extreme other end of the scale.

These still look like film though. Give them a go, the detail is amazing now.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Rogue One is going to be a new reference disk to demo the HT. As Javs mentioned it was filmed on the Alexa 65 with 4K DI and is a remarkable transfer. The final battle scene of Scarif is the 'go to' scene for guest demos, absolutely amazing!!
My jaw was on the floor for that whole sequence. Just incredible.

That movie is actually almost flawless, the tone overall is just so spot on. There is more emotion and tension in that film than any of the previous 3 episode installments. They should give Gareth his own trilogy. I can only imagine what he could have done with the episodes.

I especially loved how damned good the space ships were, they looked far and away better than any of the CG in the episodes too, simply because they were rendered specifically as if they were real models, they actually looked more realistic to me.

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
My 16:9 vertical field of view angle is 23 degrees on my 50” TV at a viewing distance of 5 ft. But that’s not the same now, is it. :)
It would be if you could remove all the cues that give it away, but nearly impossible to get rid of all the cues, with a TV. My theater is black velvet on walls and ceiling and the floor is black. All of my speakers up front are behind the screen and I have black velvet above my screen and black grill cloth below the screen. Nothing in your line of sight to give you a size reference. Even the entrance is covered with a black velvet curtain. Think about how VR goggles work. No cues, tiny size and yet you are not able to tell you are looking at a tiny image.

19581 - 19600 of 19637 Posts