AVS Forum banner

19621 - 19640 of 19647 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| M-Vision 260HB|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,334 Posts
it's going to be a busy night testing out the new Nvidia 3080 with MadVR. going right for Gemini Man and Billy Lynn 4K/60 :) @Javs fyi!

Can't wait. Since I didn't get it on launch date, I figured I'll let someone put it through the grind to see how far it can be pushed.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,622
that's no moon.. it's the RTX3090.. ! it's the size of a small planet :)

Thermals are impressive so far during burn in with this monster size heatsink and 110mm fans. it's very quiet too.

hoping to get some time later tonight to run through some MadVR tests.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,624
holy crap look at the size of that thing... with that giant heatsink and quiet fan maybe i can avoid running water
The 3090 heatsink is a monster! i've been pushing the OC's to the limits tonight to see how far I can go and there is still plenty of temp headroom. I was pulling ~600 total system watts on the Port Royal 3DMark test with a 9900K @ 5ghz on all cores.

I have to stop with the gaming benches and get the rig into the HT asap :)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The 3090 heatsink is a monster! i've been pushing the OC's to the limits tonight to see how far I can go and there is still plenty of temp headroom. I was pulling ~600 total system watts on the Port Royal 3DMark test with a 9900K @ 5ghz on all cores.

very cool, between this, the new cpus, all the mainboard m2 slots and pcie4 i finally feel like upgrading from my 4770k / z87 / sata ssd setup

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| M-Vision 260HB|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,334 Posts
that's no moon.. it's the RTX3090.. ! it's the size of a small planet :)

Thermals are impressive so far during burn in with this monster size heatsink and 110mm fans. it's very quiet too.

hoping to get some time later tonight to run through some MadVR tests.

Can't wait to see your results between the two. Not sure if I'm willing to spend for the 3090 if there is not a significant improvement with MadVR over the 3080. But if it's worth it, what's $1,500 for pure enjoyment in MadVR 😁

·
Registered
5,334 Posts

Are you having too much fun?😁

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,628
Are you having too much fun?😁
it's been 2 weeks and haven't been able to get the computer back into the HT.. :)

I picked up the LG 48 CX OLED for a desktop display and rediscovered all my favorite racing games at 4K/120hz. The infinitive contrast and overall colors of this display is amazing!!

I just picked up a new i1pro2 and going to move everything back this weekend to work on calibrating the projectors and testing the new RTX cards.

·
Registered
Denon AVR7200W, JVC X5900 with Prismasonic Lens, Elektra Theatre HD2 Amplifiers, HTPC MadVR
41 Posts
Would be nice to know if the 3080 can do tone mapping with 4K 60p content

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,632

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,633
Would be nice to know if the 3080 can do tone mapping with 4K 60p content
I ran several tests with Billy Lynn and Gemini Man 4K/60, both the 3080 and the 3090 (with a 2ghz+ overclock) still required checking 'Compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy' so that frames aren't dropped.

With it un-checked, frame rendering is in the 24ms range and has to be under 16ms with 4/60K content. With the compromise checked, it's ~11ms. Both tests done with NGU Sharp (high).

@madshi fyi :)

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I ran several tests with Billy Lynn and Gemini Man 4K/60, both the 3080 and the 3090 (with a 2ghz+ overclock) still required checking 'Compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy' so that frames aren't dropped.

With it un-checked, frame rendering is in the 24ms range and has to be under 16ms with 4/60K content. With the compromise checked, it's ~11ms. Both tests done with NGU Sharp (high).

@madshi fyi :)
Any noticeable improvements with the 3090 over the 3080?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
hi, all current favorites are from codemasters. Grid, F1 and the Dirt series are great fun to play. Grid is my first recommendation if getting back into it.
Thanks! There are so many games in those series, though. I know that there were good and bad games in the Need for Speed series. How about Grid, F1 and Dirt? Any releases which were extra good? Or some which were less good than the others? Or to ask more directly, which release in the Grid, F1 and Dirt series is your favorite (in each series)?

Even the Envy Pro with its 1660 Super can do 4K60 tone mapping with "Compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy" unchecked without dropping a single frame. Sure, it has to compromise on a couple other options then (e.g. IIRC it currently doesn't do Highlight Recovery at 4K60, not sure which chroma upscaler it uses, and it has "compromise on HDR luminance channel quality" checked). But some options are more important than others. Which is why Envy decides automatically and has a specific priority list in which options are auto activated/deactivated, depending on how much processing power is available.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,636
Thanks! There are so many games in those series, though. I know that there were good and bad games in the Need for Speed series. How about Grid, F1 and Dirt? Any releases which were extra good? Or some which were less good than the others? Or to ask more directly, which release in the Grid, F1 and Dirt series is your favorite (in each series)?
hi, my current lineup of favorites:

Grid October 2019, F1 July 2020, Dirt Rally 2.0 Feb 2019. Dirt 5 is being released in 3 weeks and looks amazing, definitely buying it and will send you some feedback.

from a gaming perspective i'm finding quite a bit more OC headroom on the 3090FE vs the 3080FE. The heatsink is a great design and very good OC potential than can run cool on air. 3090FE @ 2Ghz + the 48" CX OLED 4K./120 is gaming heaven! I was out of it for a while and this combo pulled me right back in. I was playing Grid until 4am last night o_O

Even the Envy Pro with its 1660 Super can do 4K60 tone mapping with "Compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy" unchecked without dropping a single frame. Sure, it has to compromise on a couple other options then (e.g. IIRC it currently doesn't do Highlight Recovery at 4K60, not sure which chroma upscaler it uses, and it has "compromise on HDR luminance channel quality" checked). But some options are more important than others. Which is why Envy decides automatically and has a specific priority list in which options are auto activated/deactivated, depending on how much processing power is available.
I thought maybe the 3080 & 3090 would have been to run the 4K/60 content without any of the compromises. Looking forward to you working with @Javs on potential changes. On my HTPC I have a folder with screenshots of the last major changes from exactly 1 year ago, it's hard to believe how fast time passes. Thank you for all the amazing MadVR efforts and wish you continued success with the Envy!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey, sorry to flag you down but does this sound fixable through madVR? Or should I pester Windows?

madVR HTPC problem with Windows 10 Feature Update 2004:
  • 3D MVC playback is broken while in full screen
  • Tested with AMD GPU
  • Plays fine in window
  • Plays fine with e.g. MPC-BE "Fly Bar" locked on screen, or some other OSD visible; breaks when OSD is hidden again
  • Left eye freezes, right eye continues to play
  • Can repeat issue with MPC-BE and JRiver Media Center players
  • Settings under madVR General section don't have an impact on behavior
  • Other users claim PowerDVD is working fine with FE 2004 installed
  • Rolling back to Windows 10 FE 1909 resolves the issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Optoma ZH406 Laser Projector

Over the years there has been a number of build threads discussing a dual projector setup for multipurpose use. Usually there is a JVC or some other lamp based model as the primary for critical viewing, UHD, etc and a 2nd projector for ambient light use, TV, gaming, etc.

I've been a big fan of running dual projectors for years (triple actually!) and there are some great options out there now.

This is the Optoma ZH406 1080P laser projector. Historically these laser DLP's have been designed with tons of brightness for large venue and office installations. This one is a bit unique since it has features that we typically don't see in these models. It has a 4K input and can handle UHD HDR content surprisingly well. it also has some lens shift which is always welcome since many of lower cost DLP's do not have this option.

It also has very bright 3D which i'll be discussing over the next few days. I always liked the .65 1080P DMD's. they are very sharp (this one is no exception) and they have higher contrast than the .47 pixel shifters.

I'll be taking a look at calibrated lumens and report on other features of the projector. Feel free to ask any questions but please don't discuss street price. that is just one quick google search for the model number, I think these are incredibly priced for the features provided.

ZH406 | Optoma USA

• 4,500 ANSI lumens
  • 4K UHD input with HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2)
  • HDR10 and HLG compatible
  • DuraCore maintenance-free laser light source up to 30,000 hours
  • Vertical lens shift with four corner correction
  • 24/7, 360° and portrait mode operation

Viewsonic LS800WU on bottom, Optoma ZH406 on top. The compact design is really impressive considering how bright these are.

alecio_la
Registered

Joined 1 d ago
0 Posts
Hi there, I am new here and I am not sure if this is the right approach to get the info I need.
I saw one of your posts and maybe you could help me.

I bought an Optoma ZH406

I am attaching some photos here.

The projector out of the box has that size of the image on the picture attached, and at the Amazon site and according to Optomas web site that projector is supposed to give (Standard Throw Projection: Project a 120" image from 12′ 2" – 19′ 6″ away)

Another thing is very visible, the projector leaks light on the ceiling.

Do you have any thoughts on what I wrote? I'll appreciate it if you know and if you could give me any info.

Thanks,

Alecio

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,639
Hi there, I am new here and I am not sure if this is the right approach to get the info I need.
I saw one of your posts and maybe you could help me.

I bought an Optoma ZH406

I am attaching some photos here.

The projector out of the box has that size of the image on the picture attached, and at the Amazon site and according to Optomas web site that projector is supposed to give (Standard Throw Projection: Project a 120" image from 12′ 2" – 19′ 6″ away)

Another thing is very visible, the projector leaks light on the ceiling.

Do you have any thoughts on what I wrote? I'll appreciate it if you know and if you could give me any info.

Thanks,

Alecio
Hi, how far is the projector from the screen? do you have the zoom on the ZH-406 adjusted for the widest image?

I use mine in table top mode and didn't notice the light leakage. I'll fire it up this weekend to see if it affects this projector as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, how far is the projector from the screen? do you have the zoom on the ZH-406 adjusted for the widest image?

I use mine in table top mode and didn't notice the light leakage. I'll fire it up this weekend to see if it affects this projector as well.
I have the projector 11.5' from the screen and I have to use zoom to get a 100" image (basically I have to go all the way to 1.6x optical, 0.8 zooms from 11.5 feet from the screen to get a 100' image)... How far is yours from the screen? The image I am getting from my Bluray player is awful, and from my Roku stick is fairly good.

19621 - 19640 of 19647 Posts