AVS Forum banner

19641 - 19647 of 19647 Posts

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,641
I have the projector 11.5' from the screen and I have to use zoom to get a 100" image (basically I have to go all the way to 1.6x optical, 0.8 zooms from 11.5 feet from the screen to get a 100' image)... How far is yours from the screen? The image I am getting from my Bluray player is awful, and from my Roku stick is fairly good.
hi, I use the ZH-406 in a media room with a painted wall, no screen for this particular setup.

are you measuring from the front of the the lens, it looks like it would require 12' 3" from front of the lens for the 120" screen.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ZH406-projection-calculator-pro.htm

What bluray player are you using and what issues are you seeing?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,313 Posts
Thanks! There are so many games in those series, though. I know that there were good and bad games in the Need for Speed series. How about Grid, F1 and Dirt? Any releases which were extra good? Or some which were less good than the others? Or to ask more directly, which release in the Grid, F1 and Dirt series is your favorite (in each series)?
I love the criterion games. That's burnout series which became hot pursuit when EA bought them. Need for speed hot pursuit just got a remaster at 4K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, I use the ZH-406 in a media room with a painted wall, no screen for this particular setup.

are you measuring from the front of the the lens, it looks like it would require 12' 3" from front of the lens for the 120" screen.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ZH406-projection-calculator-pro.htm

What bluray player are you using and what issues are you seeing?
I use a Samsung 4K player.
I Measure the distance from the front of the projector. Optoma is trying to make me believe everything is right with the projector, but I don’t think so, unless I am really missing something very obvious about the zh406. Anyway, I have until January to return. Amazon lowered the price of it one week after I bought it, and they gave me $508 discount, I like that but I would rather pay regular price and have a projector that works the way it is supposed to work, assuming I am right.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,644
I've been using my JVC quite a bit over the last 2 months and the Sim2 Mico 50 was idle for a while. last night I went to use it and it shut down in ~30 seconds. I was able to repeat with no sources plugged in. Time for some projector surgery to see what's going on:

using an IR thermometer I quickly found hot-spots around the LED modules. it took about a minute to realize the water pump wasn't moving the coolant.

2 quick taps on the top of the pump and it came to life, quickly cooling down the LED's. A $20K MSRP projector was taken out by a $10 aquarium pump! :) good thing these are still available, going to order a few as backups for the future.

I ran the projector for about 14 hours straight and all good for now. It's amazing how overbuilt this cooling system is. With the system heat-soaked, most surface hotspots were less than 90 degree F including the exhaust from the power supply.

With this much cooling, the LED's should last a very long time.

now the pain of lugging this very heavy projector back into the rack !

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
in an effort to prevent a loop with the intake and exhaust since the projector is up against a wall i have 2 case fans one on the intake side blowing air toward the intake and one on the exhaust side pulling air away from the exhaust vent.

seems to be working well, no heat build up around the back of the unit and the case stays nice and cool so i think the internals are operating at a good temperature

19641 - 19647 of 19647 Posts