AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, before I buy or build a screen (don't know if I can DIY since I need an acoustically transparent screen), do most of you think it is best to get a projector and just use the painted wall before deciding on a final screen size and AR? If so, my question, which is definitely of the "which came first" variety, is if I do not have a screen, can I accurately and fairly demo various projectors before I purchase? This also assumes I can actually find somewhere that will let me demo before I buy.

Thanks!

· Registered
9,766 Posts
No,

1. Read hundreds of posts

2. Do some searches

3. Ask lots of questions

4. Determine what you want

5. Demo it

6. Buy it

Yes, you can buy the screen later. White walls look great!

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
What material would you use as a temp screen to figure out the right screen size?
Painted wall. Then, once I got the image the size that I like, simply use a tape measure.

· Registered
72 Posts
Can you completely block all light coming through the window? If not a sheet won't be much help during the day!

You could use the sheet method after dark. Keep in mind that you need to keep the sheet very taut.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could always get a sheet of plywood and staple a white sheet over it. Then, just set the plywood on a couple of chairs or something until you decide on the screen size. Granted, this is by no means perfect, but probably enough to give you an idea without any major expense.

· Registered
454 Posts
Search this forum for 'parkland'. It's a sheet of plastic you can buy in lowes (in the USA) and maybe Home Depot for less than $15 US. It's very close to having a matte white screen. You will still need to coat the back with something if it is going to be back lit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.