AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of going with a conventional plasma, LCD or CRT, I've started toying with the idea of a projector and screen. The problem is that I do not know much about projectors and was looking for some guidance.

First off, let me explain my room setup and what I'm looking for.

Room:

22'L x 15'W x 13' ceiling. One wall with windows to top, but full length heavy curtains

Couch is centered in room, looking forward to the entertainment center that is against the short wall. Entertainment center is 6.5'w x 6'tall x about 18" deep. Because the entertainment center is old, yet a very nice piece of solid wood workmanship, it only allows for a relatively small tv (currently 27" Sony Wega non/hd) and really can't be expanded.

So I was thinking that on the various occasions (maybe 2-3x per week on average) when we want to watch a movie or football, I could install a pulldown screen, maybe 6'w x 3.5' +/- for watching these in HD. (I currently pull in HD with my HTPC via my Fusion card).

Since I'd have to mount the projector about 14' back from the screen at a height about 7' high, can anyone tell me if a projector will transmit an image about 6'w at this distance?

If so, will it be "good" quality when viewed from about 10-12' away from the screen, or would I just wasting time and money?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
452 Posts
The Projector Calculator at www.projectorcentral.com is great for determining that information, but you need to know the model of PJ you are considering. Look for the Proj Calc link on the left side of their site.

A general rule of thumb is the PQ should be good from a distance of 1.5x the width of the picture or greater. That is a guideline, YMMV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.