AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay to all,

This is my first post on the forum and have a question relating to the purchase of the projector to play 3d fly sim games on my computer. My viewing distance is 120cm, distance of the projector from the screen 180cm, image width 130 cm. I can not decide between 1280/720p and 1920/1080p. What do you recommend. H6530BD Acer, Optoma GT 760 ,

Benq 1070 or any of the LED projectors 1280/800. My room was completely darkened and measured 135 cm x 210cm. Or will ever see the difference between 720p and 1080p projector-pixelation, since the width of the image on the screen will be only 130cm (60 "diagonal).

Thanks !

·
Registered
64 Posts

1.2m for a ~1.5m diagonal. isnt that super super close?

doubt that such a distance would be enjoyable for gaming... for that, id get a medium sized 1080p monitor/tv with a diagonal of about 1m (40"). will be cheaper solution and also keep that small room cooler than these projector heaters  (unless you go LED).

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
What major stores do you have available in your area? Anything like bestbuy or walmart or similar that offers a return policy without restocking fees?

In a dark room, for a convenient, cheap large screen a few of the cheap LED projectors can be a fun choice, but screen-size and resolution are very dependant on your own tastes and also the game choices.

To me, a flight sim sounds like a ton of fun for a really big, close screen. Personally, I don't mind 720p resolution at all, doubly so with a DLP projector having less visible gaps between pixels. Some would certainly disagree with me and that's fine, we can't all be the same. If you are fine at 800X1280 res and have a store that you can order something to and return it if you find it's terrible, go for it.

The biggest flaw of the cheap LED projectors is their fans tend to sound like a hot laptop computer..if you game with a lot of silence this might annoy you. If you tend to use headphones or play games that feature music or a lot of ambient sounds, it shouldn't be a problem.

I love my Aaxa P300, but I know 3M, Elmo, and maybe a few others make similar products around the $400 point. The Aaxa is one of the few that simultaneously has good 1080p upscaling, full-size hdmi and adapter-included full-size VGA, and surprisingly rare standard headphone sound out. It's common practice for some brands to skip out on giving adapters or remotes or a sound output, but the P300 has all of these.

Reread OP; are you looking for actual 3d, like glasses 3d or do you mean it's a 3dimensional/realistic flight sim? Because 3D LED adds a couple hundred dollars and really narrows the choices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just decided to buy one LED projector, which supports 3d and has a resolution of 1280 x 720 or 800 and I can see how this will work. Maybe Optoma Optoma ML550 or GT10.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Make sure to doublecheck whether or not it needs a separate emitter or anything else for the 3D to work.

Once you've narrowed your choices, see if you can find any threads or reviews mentioning 3D gaming. Some are practically plug-n-play while others can be a headache to get working with PC for some reason. At least I believe the lower resolution is a lot less finicky to get 3D going.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Find a projector that is PC friendly. DLP 3D projectors do not have Ghosting like LCD monitors and projectors in 3D. There are no PC friendly 1080P 3D gaming projectors. You might get by in 1080P 3D since flight sims aren't exactly fast motion but you will only be playing at 24-30Hz. For watching movies it is OK but interacting with that slow framerate can cause motion sickness. Much better at 720P/60Hz per eye.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
There are so many questionable things going on here, I really wonder if things are thought through fully.

1. You have a screen size that is smaller than many flat panel TVs are these days. What is the reason to use a limited setup projector instead of just getting a flat panel television?

2. You are sitting incredibly close, yet seem like you may possibly be content with something other than 1080p. At that distance, the benefits of 1080p will be clearly visible and it is a horrendous recommendation for anyone to suggest otherwise.

3. LED has lens quality, image uniformity, and brightness issues that similarly priced traditional projectors blow away. Why LED other than the lamp life?

4. Be very careful when talking about 3D, not everything supports it, and not every projector is good with it.

Frankly, for any screen size under 80", I would get a TV. You can use it with lights on or off, there are no lamps to change, and they are almost all 1080p without insane prices like a decade ago.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
In justification of my suggestions:

1. A 58+inch 3D TV is going to be expensive and have more ghosting than a DLP PJ. Are there any flatscreens that show 3D at more than half-resolution?

2. 3D gaming will be highly limited to 720p anyway and DLPs smoother pixel structure looks better up close than a TV. Though resolution certainly helps and 1080p is completely beneficial at this distance, pixel structure of a large flatscreen (no matter the resolution) will be more visible.

3. There is no reason to spend over $600-650 on an inexpensive 3D LED PJ..the next level of improvement doesn't happen until around $1,400+. The only bulb-based competition around the $600 level is either only 650lumens on a new bulb (dimmer than LED after a year) or well under 1000:1 contrast.

..I can agree though that a 3D TV would be the easier way to go as long as you can either afford it or be okay with a smaller size.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The only thing 3D about Flight Sims is the Cockpit. Everything else is so far in the distance that there is no 3D effect. Sceptre used to make a nice 32" 1080P 3D HDTV. Great for YouTube 3D vids. Gaming was 1080i/60Hz per eye with passive lightweight glasses.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If you want 130 cm wide picture and ghost-free 3D my best advice to you would be to get a DLP Mitsubishi RPTV. You also have an advantage of the unique checkerboard 3D. And they can be had dirt cheap on eBay . You won't get a better picture using front projection.

And the title of the topic will be misleading. Since few people will actually advise a projector in your situation. A TV would be a better choice, really.

I have a projector coupled with a 84" screen (larger screen doesn't fit). And sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier with a 65" plasma, since the difference in picture quality is quite large.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
^^^^^

Sometimes get the DLP HDTVs for free on Craigslist. Just check the model # to make sure it's 3D. The AMD IZ3D Checkerboard Driver is still free (I just DLed it to make sure).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts