AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 30x18 bonus room where a 60" SXRD RPTV resides. I was going to upsize to the 82" Mitsu DLP but now I am having second thougths. Plus the cost of the 82" vs. a Panny 4000 and a 106" screen is about the same. We will be sitting 15' from screen and the pj will be about 16' away using a drop down from the ceiling. A couple of questions though.

1) I only have 1 window 30' away from screen so outdoor lighting is not a concern. But this room is also my kids playroom so there will be some lights on most of the time( 2 lamps and ceiling fans w lights) The Sony does fine now. Will I be disappointed with the pj washing out?

2) Will the projector survive daily TV type usage? 3 hours a day on weekdays and 10-12 on weekends. Plus repeated on/offs as my son will use this to play the PS3. We watch mostly HD TV and Dish movies.

I know what I will get with the Mits DLP. But I need your help with the pj.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
707 Posts
According to projectorreviews.com, the panny 4000 is slightly below average for brightness. Your ambient light is gonna wash out your image. I would look at the epson hc8100 if you are wanting 1080p. Lots of flexibility, great epson 2 year warranty, 4000 hr lamp life, and is very bright.

Quote from projectorreviews.com:

"All considered, this Epson should prove to be just about average in brightness in its best movie mode (Theater Black 1). When you need maximum lumens, though, the Epson appears to be the brightest of the "serious" under $2000 projectors. This combination should make the Home Cinema 8100 a really good choice for those of us who plan to view a mix of movies, sports and general TV viewing, on average sized screens from 90 to 110 inch diagonal, with the extra lumens in its "Dynamic" mode, allowing the Epson to provide a very watchable picture with sufficient ambient light to get sports fans out of the "cave" and into an environment more suitable for watching sports and TV with friends."

And it's about $400 cheaper. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I will look into both pjs. My celings are 9-10 ft. I do have a ceiling fan between the pj and screen so I will prob have to use a extension on the mount.

How does the cycling on/off affect these units?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

Quote:
Most of the damage to the lamp is caused when it is struck. This is because to strike a lamp it requires a high voltage electrical discharge across the electrodes followed by an extremely short period of boost current. This boost current is approximately 3 times the rated lamp current, this is what causes the most damage to the lamp as the electrodes are still cold when this current is pushed through them. (Cold is defined as anything longer than a few seconds). The best lamp lifetime will be achieved if it is struck once and left on, of course for this application it is not a viable option, but if you have been watching a movie and you need to go out it is better to leave the lamp on if you will be back within hour

I pulled this from a hometheater shack forum and, from what I've heard, it's the constant turning on/off the pj that kills the bulb and they aren't cheap to replace. If there's a time frame that the pj will see use, just leave the thing on.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

Quote:
For your situation it sounds like you should keep the 60" SXRD RPTV for PS3, and a get a projector for movies.....

^This. Oh, but DO hook up the ps3 to your projector (should you choose to get one) every once in a while for long gaming sessions - it's the bees knees!

·
Registered
366 Posts
You don't turn it on an off like a normal TV if you are going out of the room for a few minutes but I treat mine like a TV and have had it running for 3 years and if it were not for a color wheel going bad I wouldn't be in the market for a projector again. Playing Halo3 at 110" is pretty dang cool, and movies don't suck either.

·
Registered
237 Posts
from what i understand rptv's use the same style bulbs as normal fp units do (except they are probably lower power in the rp units). so if he was already doing it on his old tv, i dont see a reason to think that bulb life would be too much of a surprise

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The Mits 82 inch TV is probably the biggest display available at a consumer affordable price point but it still can't compete with a projector and screen for creation of a Theater sized experience.

However the room needs to be in near total darkness to get the bright, crisp and well contrasted image for most ANY projector no matter what make or model - the image on the screen will be affected by any room light and the more light the more visible will be the image degradation.

True Home Theater experience needs darkened room plus projector and a movie sized screen - for watching everything else and with the room lights on you need a television.

This is why when I by accident fried our 56in 1080p RPTV I went out and bought the Mits 60in for $790 as we are happy to continue with that sized TV experience while using the PJ for Home Theater - in other words, keep your TV and get the projector and have the best of both solutions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.