AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m looking for a projector for my garage that would sit on a table and need to project an image about 6ft. Off the floor. I’m leaning towards some kind of Epson. Would also probably get an outdoor screen and use for that occasionally. So portability would be nice, but not a must. Max budget is $1k, any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Hello,

I’m looking for a projector for my garage that would sit on a table and need to project an image about 6ft. Off the floor. I’m leaning towards some kind of Epson. Would also probably get an outdoor screen and use for that occasionally. So portability would be nice, but not a must. Max budget is $1k, any suggestions?
What do you mean off the floor?

6' in screen width?

What is the seating distance?

Ambient light does not work well with projectors, so is will the environment be dark?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should’ve said 6ft from the floor. So projector will need to be angled up. I realize that ambient light is the enemy. And there will be a decent amount of ambient light in the garage - mostly will be watching sports on this.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Should’ve said 6ft from the floor. So projector will need to be angled up. I realize that ambient light is the enemy. And there will be a decent amount of ambient light in the garage - mostly will be watching sports on this.
So the bottom of the screen will start at 6'?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should’️ve said 6ft from the floor. So projector will need to be angled up. I realize that ambient light is the enemy. And there will be a decent amount of ambient light in the garage - mostly will be watching sports on this.
So the bottom of the screen will start at 6'?

Yep. 6’ to bottom of screen. Seating is 12’-15’

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
The refurbished Epson 5040 has enough lens shift to shoot up about 3' depending on screen size and would work on a 3' high table. It has the most vertical lens shift in the industry. It comes in a little over $1k. The older 5030 would work but is 1080p only and not much cheaper. All other models you would need to tilt and use digital keystone that can degrade picture especially for text.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Yep. 6’ to bottom of screen. Seating is 12’-15’
With that seating distance, the screen can be between 120 and 170" diagonal. But you should use it to get an idea of what looks best.

Unless there's been a misunderstanding, the screen will start 6' off the ground? That's kind of strange and I don't know any home garages that have ceiling that high.

As rekbones said, the 5040UB.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-front-projectors-great-found-deals/3059050-refurbished-epson-5040ub-1-151-00-a.html

After the screen diagonal is inputted, at the bottom of the page there is a section called lens shift:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Home_Cinema_5040UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm

With 120" it's 56" up. 56" = 4.6'.

The default position is at the center of the height of the screen.

So 3' (36") (table) + 6" (center of lens) + 56" (lens shift up) - 29" (half of the height of the screen) = 69" or 5.75'

I would not recommend keystone even for sports, so maybe try to make up height with a higher table or measure where the screen can start exactly, maybe it's not 6'.

Other projectors in this chassis would be the Epson HC4000, 4010, 5030/6030/5040/6040UB.

Something like a Epson HC3700 has less lens shift and the lenses are not as good, so there might be distortions when used at the edge of the range. But it is brighter.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3700-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Keystone is up to 30 degrees vertical either way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. New plan. Sounds like this isn’t a great idea. I’d have to shoot over a fridge, so I’m pretty sure the projector would have to be angled up regardless - thus degrading image quality. And I’m already dealing with the light issue. So I’ll probably mount to the ceiling. With that, is the 5040 bright enough? And is there such a thing as a “quick release” ceiling mount?

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Save some of your money. I would get a Viewsonic PX700HD and a $20 universal mount off line. Something that will let you swivel and tilt the projector to get it lined up. Then rig something to the rafters that will let you slide the mount on and off when not using it. Some kind of T slot or such. Then for a screen go to the builders center and buy a 4x8 sheet of thrifty hard board it has a glossy white surface that you will paint a medium neutral gray. A neutral gray is any gray that doesn’t have a color tint to it. basically white base with black pigment added. Nail that up to the wall and roll on the paint. Get an OTA tuner box or run your cable out there with a box with HDMI out and hook up and old Stereo for sound. The whole deal will be under 600 bucks and it will really impress your buddies.

Keep in mind you can have some light but try and stop any light directly falling on the screen.

The extra money can go for beer. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Save some of your money. I would get a Viewsonic PX700HD and a $20 universal mount off line. Something that will let you swivel and tilt the projector to get it lined up. Then rig something to the rafters that will let you slide the mount on and off when not using it. Some kind of T slot or such. Then for a screen go to the builders center and buy a 4x8 sheet of thrifty hard board it has a glossy white surface that you will paint a medium neutral gray. A neutral gray is any gray that doesn’️t have a color tint to it. basically white base with black pigment added. Nail that up to the wall and roll on the paint. Get an OTA tuner box or run your cable out there with a box with HDMI out and hook up and old Stereo for sound. The whole deal will be under 600 bucks and it will really impress your buddies.

Keep in mind you can have some light but try and stop any light directly falling on the screen.

The extra money can go for beer. /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually bought a ViewSonic M2 for the yard - decided to try it in the garage. Looks “ok” not good though and the motion smoothing that can not be disabled is a deal breaker. The wall is actually already a light, flat grey and is not textured. So the plan is to project on the wall. Also, mounting an Apple TV with projector and air playing to the stereo that’s already in the garage. Extra beer money is always good!

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Ok. New plan. Sounds like this isn’t a great idea. I’d have to shoot over a fridge, so I’m pretty sure the projector would have to be angled up regardless - thus degrading image quality. And I’m already dealing with the light issue. So I’ll probably mount to the ceiling. With that, is the 5040 bright enough? And is there such a thing as a “quick release” ceiling mount?
Ambient light changes the calculations for how bright a projector should be. I don't know since I don't know what the room looks like.

3LCD type projectors like Epsons have the same color lumens as white lumens, but DLPs in higher presets have less color lumens than white lumens.
Example:
HC3700 can have 2400 color and white lumens, a DLP can have 2000 white lumens and 1300 color lumens.

But the 5040 is a large projector and heavy at 25lbs., not easy to move around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Save some of your money. I would get a Viewsonic PX700HD and a $20 universal mount off line. Something that will let you swivel and tilt the projector to get it lined up. Then rig something to the rafters that will let you slide the mount on and off when not using it. Some kind of T slot or such. Then for a screen go to the builders center and buy a 4x8 sheet of thrifty hard board it has a glossy white surface that you will paint a medium neutral gray. A neutral gray is any gray that doesn’️t have a color tint to it. basically white base with black pigment added. Nail that up to the wall and roll on the paint. Get an OTA tuner box or run your cable out there with a box with HDMI out and hook up and old Stereo for sound. The whole deal will be under 600 bucks and it will really impress your buddies.

The extra money can go for beer. /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually bought a ViewSonic M2 for the yard - decided to try it in the garage. Looks “ok” not good though and the motion smoothing that can not be disabled is a deal breaker. The wall is actually already a light, flat grey and is not textured. So the plan is to project on the wall. Also, mounting an Apple TV with projector and air playing to the stereo that’s already in the garage. Extra beer money is always good!

Got the 700HD mounted yesterday. First pic is at 2:00pm with two garage doors open. Second is 10pm. Should work great for football. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Got the 700HD mounted yesterday. First pic is at 2:00pm with two garage doors open. Second is 10pm. Should work great for football. Thanks again!
Looks good considering the ambient light and reflections. I would go to the local fabric store and buy a cheap piece of black velvet and stick it up with double sided tape or thumbtacks as shown in my pic. I think it will amaze you at the increase in PQ.

Glad you like the projector recommendation for the price you can't beat it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good considering the ambient light and reflections. I would go to the local fabric store and buy a cheap piece of black velvet and stick it up with double sided tape or thumbtacks as shown in my pic. I think it will amaze you at the increase in PQ.

Glad you like the projector recommendation for the price you can't beat it.

I think I may just bite the bullet and get a screen.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Got it. So your saying to put a solid sheet of black material on the ceiling. Seems easy enough. Thanks again Bud!
Black paint works or black “material” they will absorb a lot of the projector light bouncing to the ceiling and then back to the screen. doing the same thing as pointing a spotlight at the screen. The best black material is velvet as not only is it black but the light gets sucked down into that hair-like surface and really dies there.

It is a garage so most of the time you want it bright so you wouldn’t do like I did in my media room and paint the whole ceiling flat black. The area right in front of the screen and about 5’ out is what is most important.

You also have more lumens than you need so a gray screen surface can help. Take a cardboard box and paint a piece of it gray and hold it up there and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it. So your saying to put a solid sheet of black material on the ceiling. Seems easy enough. Thanks again Bud!
Black paint works or black “material” they will absorb a lot of the projector light bouncing to the ceiling and then back to the screen. doing the same thing as pointing a spotlight at the screen. The best black material is velvet as not only is it black but the light gets sucked down into that hair-like surface and really dies there.

It is a garage so most of the time you want it bright so you wouldn’️t do like I did in my media room and paint the whole ceiling flat black. The area right in front of the screen and about 5’️ out is what is most important.

You also have more lumens than you need so a gray screen surface can help. Take a cardboard box and paint a piece of it gray and hold it up there and you will see what I mean.

Will definitely do the velvet thing. Check out this pic, I thought I’d need a longer mount, turns out that isn’t the case. So the projector is angled up a bit, to keep from projecting on garage cabinets, tv, etc. would it make much difference to get a different mount that would require the projector to be angled down a bit?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Will definitely do the velvet thing. Check out this pic, I thought I’d need a longer mount, turns out that isn’t the case. So the projector is angled up a bit, to keep from projecting on garage cabinets, tv, etc. would it make much difference to get a different mount that would require the projector to be angled down a bit?
You don't want to angle the projector at all. As per this calculator:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PX700HD-projection-calculator-pro.htm

The projector has an offset of 105% (confirmed in the manual) and if the projector is level the top of the image will be 5% of image height* below the projector lens. It looks to me that all you need to do is remove the extension from your present mount and is should be about right.

* if the image height is ~60 inches (120in diagonal image), then the top of the image will be 3in below the projector lens; if the projector lens is 4in from the ceiling then the top of the image will be 3in + 4in = 7in below the ceiling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts