AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfathers old Sony CRT just died and he has asked me to do a little research, and what better place then here to get reliable info!

I would like to replace it with a DLP in the $2k range, of which I have seen many on e-bay, NEC LT-150 for example. He is not video critical, but would like to watch the football games with the lights on/dimmed. Blacks are not that important as long as it is descent for movie watching and sat.

Any suggestions for which unit to buy would be very appreciated!

------------------

Thanks,

Cary

In search of Perfection

AMD Athalon 1.1Ghz

386mb ram

60gig 7200 hard drive

Fortissimo II Sound card

Radeon LE

Windows ME

WinDVD 3.0

DVD Genie 402B

YXY

Powerstrip 3.01 build 190

Sony G70q 8†CRT Projector

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<<Bump>> http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Thanks,

Cary

In search of Perfection

AMD Athalon 1.1Ghz

386mb ram

60gig 7200 hard drive

Fortissimo II Sound card

Radeon LE

Windows ME

WinDVD 3.0

DVD Genie 402B

YXY

·
Registered
693 Posts
YGM

------------------

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Take you out in the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
The Cellar

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think I'm a bit dense today. Sorry. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Was his "old Sony CRT" a projector? Which model? Does he have a de-interlacer and/or scaler? Which make/model? How big of a screen and what gain?

The LT150 can be non-critically watched with enough ambiant light to read. Try to keep it OFF the screen, though.

The largest problem, I would think, is the 1000 hour bulb life. How many hours a day will it be used? Is this to be his primary TV?

Sorry for the 20 questions but it's hard (for me, at least) to answer without more information.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huck,

His old projector is a Sony CRT model 1031(I think). The video board went out and it is $600 to fix the unit, so I thought that he might be better off with a DLA unit, as he is not a critical watcher.

The unit does not have a scaler/doubler, so he is used to watching 480i at best.

He has a 27" that he watches during the day, and the projector for movies and footbal games.

I might sell his old unit on E-bay, once I get him a new one. Any idea of its worth??

------------------

Thanks,

Cary

In search of Perfection

AMD Athalon 1.1Ghz

386mb ram

60gig 7200 hard drive

Fortissimo II Sound card

Radeon LE

Windows ME

WinDVD 3.0

DVD Genie 402B

YXY

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think a digital projector would work fine. I would suggest you calculate his "watching time" and estimate the bulb replacement costs for any projector you consider. It seems bulb life is in ~1000 hour increments and bulb cost can be up to ~$1200 a pop!

If he is really not "video critical", an SVGA unit may be OK. You could get the projector and even a decent doubler/scaler to go with it and stay on budget.

Most inexpensive projector's de-interlacers are not very good for video based stuff like football. This includes the LT150. I watched a bit of a motor cycle race on mine (through the s-vid connector) and was not impressed. I currently have it attached through a Crystal Image scaler and it looks much better.

What is the worth of a CRT projector? You're asking the wrong guy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif You might try the CRT projector forum. By the way, I have a Sony D50Q 7" CRT projector that I'll be pulling down and selling so I'll be in the same (or a similar) boat soon. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

Huck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.